Adult apprenticeship pay rate eba

Remove this Banner Ad

themightydoggies

All Australian
Nov 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gday there guys just wondering if anyone out there has done an adult apprenticeship I was looking into one and just wondering the price as a first year?

I mate of mine from my Perth days used to work in a factory for 15 years and he finally bit the bullet about 6 years ago and started a plumbing apprenticeship in his 40,s . He suffered pay wise for the first four years but after that he started his own business which is going well . He rode his motorbike over the Nullarbor recently and we spoke about this topic . He said best thing he’s ever done work wise. Was so proud of him watching him install some new taps and fix my leaky basin using his new skills. I say go for it if you can manage the first few low paid years .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I mate of mine from my Perth days used to work in a factory for 15 years and he finally bit the bullet about 6 years ago and started a plumbing apprenticeship in his 40,s . He suffered pay wise for the first four years but after that he started his own business which is going well . He rode his motorbike over the Nullarbor recently and we spoke about this topic . He said best thing he’s ever done work wise. Was so proud of him watching him install some new taps and fix my leaky basin using his new skills. I say go for it if you can manage the first few low paid years .

Thanks for your advice mate appreciated

Not the most 'glamorous' job but being a plumber is a license to print your own money.

Only thing is from what I've seen it is a pretty physical job for anyone wanting to do it when they are older.

Considering going along this path myself. Only 24 myself, but all my mates back in Darwin leaped on apprenticeships at 17-18, whereas i studied and got a job in IT, which i am really hating haha How bad is the pay for those first 4 years? Like "go back and live with your folks you're going to be broke" bad ?

Considering going along this path myself. Only 24 myself, but all my mates back in Darwin leaped on apprenticeships at 17-18, whereas i studied and got a job in IT, which i am really hating haha How bad is the pay for those first 4 years? Like "go back and live with your folks you're going to be broke" bad ?

Pretty much Palmo. Tighten the belt for the first three years.

I can only speak for carpentry award but would assume most trades are the same, the rate stays the same 1st year through to final year. It is around $21 or $22/hr for carpenters.

I can only speak for carpentry award but would assume most trades are the same, the rate stays the same 1st year through to final year. It is around $21 or $22/hr for carpenters.
And that’s not including site allowances and travel and the rest of the stuff ? Sounds like a good wicket for a first year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that’s not including site allowances and travel and the rest of the stuff ? Sounds like a good wicket for a first year
Correct. Allowances go on top.

That doesn't sound right, who is going to pay a 1st year in the first few weeks that knows almost nothing the same as a 4th year near the end that is practically a tradesman in level of knowledge?
It may not sound right but it is. I have the Building and Construction General On Site Award (2010) in my desk drawers right next to me and we put on an adult apprentice a few months ago so I know this lol! They are getting over paid year 1, and a lot of places will put you above award by 4th year.

Correct. Allowances go on top.

It may not sound right but it is. I have the Building and Construction General On Site Award (2010) in my desk drawers right next to me and we put on an adult apprentice a few months ago so I know this lol! They are getting over paid year 1, and a lot of places will put you above award by 4th year.
Yeah so 22 an hour plus double time Saturday travel money site allowances and all that prob 850 plus as a first year.... eba that’s why lol

Also how many of these adult apprentices have another trade that come in handy on a building site. Our '1st' year apprentice will likely complete Tafe in his 2nd year as he already has another trade and done some of the subjects. He was actually foreman for one of our smaller jobs recently and we've started paying him above award already.

Also how many of these adult apprentices have another trade that come in handy on a building site. Our '1st' year apprentice will likely complete Tafe in his 2nd year as he already has another trade and done some of the subjects. He was actually foreman for one of our smaller jobs recently and we've started paying him above award already.
That’s solid as !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back