Force

Team Captain
Apr 12, 2006
A.K Lines Reserve
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Watsonia Saints
Hi Guys, after reading over this thread I was wondering if someone could help me here. I have had a bad run for over 9 years with my right shoulder dislocating, in the last 3 months it has ended up popping out almost every week. The dislocation occurs when either I'm playing footy on saturday, or I'm playing basketball which is 2 nights a week.

It's come to the point where I definately need a reconstruction, my physio suggested John Salmon as a good shoulder surgeon. Has anyone heard anything good about him??

Or would I be better off, as some of you have highly suggested seeing Greg Hoy?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

GO BLUES!!

Re: walkers outlook bleak: Ratten

Hi Guys, after reading over this thread I was wondering if someone could help me here. I have had a bad run for over 9 years with my right shoulder dislocating, in the last 3 months it has ended up popping out almost every week. The dislocation occurs when either I'm playing footy on saturday, or I'm playing basketball which is 2 nights a week.

It's come to the point where I definately need a reconstruction, my physio suggested John Salmon as a good shoulder surgeon. Has anyone heard anything good about him??

Or would I be better off, as some of you have highly suggested seeing Greg Hoy?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

GO BLUES!!

I had a fairly big shoulder operation from John Salmon 2 years ago and I am extremely happy with the job he did. He is a top bloke and I haven't had a problem with the shoulder since.

I had a fairly big shoulder operation from John Salmon 2 years ago and I am extremely happy with the job he did. He is a top bloke and I haven't had a problem with the shoulder since.

Thanks Big Delut that is great feed back. Have you been playing a fair bit of sport since the operation?

I am 25 and am hoping once i get the operation done I can make a comeback!

Thanks Big Delut that is great feed back. Have you been playing a fair bit of sport since the operation?

Yeh I have played a fair bit of sport. Mainly cricket which puts a fair bit of stress on it. My injury was pretty serious and it has come up good so you should be fine.

Salmon and Hoy are both great surgeons, and if you can get them in a timely fashion that's fine, but in all honesty, I would take another surgeon (I can PM you a name if you like) if it means getting in sooner rather than later.
I have worked a lot with a surgeon who does loads of shoulder that are excellent, not the "big name" so might be quicker to see than Hoy or Bartlett.

It's generally not a complex operation, and it's more important to have a great physio after than the best surgeon during.
What I mean is, most surgeons worth anything can do the op and tighten the joint.
Getting the flexibility back without making it unstable again, and buliding the strength back appropriate to your sports is far more important IMO. :thumbsu:

"I really feel for him, he worked really hard, he's running up there with Chris (Judd) in the time trials with his times - he was flying physically, the shoulder just popped."

Gee, I missed this comment earlier in the year. What a shame. Hope he still has a great fitness base and it shows through when he returns.

Salmon and Hoy are both great surgeons, and if you can get them in a timely fashion that's fine, but in all honesty, I would take another surgeon (I can PM you a name if you like) if it means getting in sooner rather than later.
I have worked a lot with a surgeon who does loads of shoulder that are excellent, not the "big name" so might be quicker to see than Hoy or Bartlett.

It's generally not a complex operation, and it's more important to have a great physio after than the best surgeon during.
What I mean is, most surgeons worth anything can do the op and tighten the joint.
Getting the flexibility back without making it unstable again, and buliding the strength back appropriate to your sports is far more important IMO. :thumbsu:

Thanks Bluebear for the very helpful advice, I hope my physio is good enough!

Not too fussed about getting in sooner, as I need to check out if/when my private health insurance can cover me. I have been able to last this long so I hopefully can hold off that little bit longer. But if it is not too much trouble please PM the surgeons name so I can keep him in mind. Also if you know any great Physios (close to Watsonia would be a bonus) you could suggest that would be fantastic also.

Thanks for all your help!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

phew.

I saw the thread headline and thought not again.

All the best with your recovery and upcoming surgery Force

Sorry about that guys! The thread was perfect for the situation I am in at the moment.:eek:

Thanks for your well wishes Marc Shmurf!:thumbsu:

Split this from the Walker thread to avoid further heart attacks.

Thanks for doing that ODN. I didn't think about it at the time but it would have given me one if I hadn't have started it up again myself!

All in all I have recieved some comforting and useful information.

Thanks once again guys.:thumbsu:

Thanks for doing that ODN. I didn't think about it at the time but it would have given me one if I hadn't have started it up again myself!

All in all I have recieved some comforting and useful information.

Thanks once again guys.:thumbsu:

Jayant-Patel150.jpg

Bloke works fast and cheap. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back