Phantom Draft Adzy's 2023 Phantom (Full Phantom posted 16/11/23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was trying to tick boxes with Freo's picks. Reckon Mannagh as a Schuktz replacement and a tall like Morris were clear needs, and an attacking-minded winger like O'Driscoll made too much sense at that stage in the draft. Fourth selection was tough because with Johnson and Erasmus emerging, I decided not to go with a mid. Even Chapman could still yet be a gun mid or winger I think. Who would you prefer at that pick?
Thanks mate. I get the reasoning behind Mannah, and agree a forward with that first pick is a no brainer. I'd prefer Moir than Mannah due to age, but a good pick. Love the Morris selection - or someone similar. O'Driscoll gets you a gold star in my book. Speeeeeedy high half so Freddy can spend more time of the wing. DONE!

Freo were without Chapman and Walker all year in 2023 and still had enough cover, even with Young as a mid. Guys like Ryan, Clark, Hughes, Wagner and Aish are more than capable. Freo are punting good defenders like Wilson (del) and Logue (traded) simply because of over supply.

I continued my phantom draft very roughly to see where Freo's next pick might fall and had Sam van Rooyan as the last pick. I debated between him and Reece Torrent who is a mid/wing/for type (already at Peel).

Love getting Caddy with the first pick.

Would rather go Archer Reid with our second pick if it went with like this and would then use our last pick to grab Stevens with our last pick to help balance out the list.

I lied, it wasn't the last phantom. Some minor changes made due to swirling rumour in the media, and some further thinking about what some clubs need

Pick 18: Adelaide take Edwards instead of Murphy. I think it has to be midfielders with their first two picks, and I don't think their need for key defenders is that substantial with Murray to return mid-year.

Pick 21: GWS take Collard now Edwards is gone. With Bedford and Daniels doing most of their damage at half-forward, I think a true deep forward like Collard is what they'd love to add.

Pick 22: North Melbourne take Murphy now Collard is gone. Even if Collard is still there, I'm convinced their small forward stocks are good enough to roll with in 2024. They badly need tall defenders and Murphy is the perfect size.

Pick 28: St Kilda take Harry DeMattia instead of Zakostelsky since he's too good to pass up and brings much needed speed into the midfield.

Pick 29: Carlton take Schoenmaker now DeMattia is gone. Schoenmaker was already Carlton bound at 31 previously.

Pick 32: Carlton take Ashton Moir. My original thought is that Moir is somebody whom some clubs will rate much higher than others in this draft, and I still think that way. Might end up going earlier as a result.

Pick 38: Essendon take Jack Delean now Moir is gone. Think improved forward competition is crucial at this point of their list build.

Pick 41: St Kilda take Zane Zakostelsky who they originally took at 26. Think he's a good chance to slide due to his speculative skills.

Pick 53: Fremantle take Harvey Johnston instead of Oscar Ryan. Agree with Freo supporters in this thread that they don't need more smalls in defence.

Pick 55: Richmond select Evan Smith now Johnston is gone. Short of developing talls, especially up forward. Smith also helps with in the ruck department.

Pick 58: Carlton take Matt Carroll instead of Evan Smith since they've been linked.

Brisbane are trading 30 and 39 only to move up 6 spots can't think of whoever is that important to move up at all really any thoughts?
It was suggested on our board via a link that we wont be trading pick 30 to get the Suns pick 24(currently), it will be our picks 39, 51, 54 and 67 which would give the Suns a 284 points boost... hence we go into the draft with 24, 30 and up grade Carter Michael with a late late pick.

Brisbane are trading 30 and 39 only to move up 6 spots can't think of whoever is that important to move up at all really any thoughts?
If you're only intending to use a certain number of picks, the latter picks become irrelevant really so may as well try trade up a few if it means getting somebody you slightly prefer. Could put a slider in the mix like a DeMattia who would be a great fit.

Twomey is good but like every draft pundit he isn't always right, lets hope he is wrong on this one and the other rumour/tip where we keep pick 30 is right on this one.
Yeah I don't see Curtin sliding past Windsor and Leake.

I heard it from Cal Twomey but was waiting for confirmation here it isView attachment 1855324seems like a stupid trade for a 6 spot upgrade

Depends who you want and what your intel is.
We traded 32 and 34 in 2021 for 25 for knevitt (to pair with his teammate conway) as we got word clubs with the next few picks after that were keen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back