AEW Double Or Nothing 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I like cinematic matches and Stadium Stampede in particular I wouldn't mind seeing once a year. Thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part except for the night club part really. Thought it was good they ended it in the arena.

Not sure why there's a gay club in the middle of that complex but looked fun.

Honestly, I enjoyed that show a lot, one of AEW's best. Loved the ending, they have huge young babyfaces right now in Hangman, Jungle Boy and Sammy, who all came out of the show looking like stars, and they need to start being pushed for titles now that crowds are back and ready to cheer (and every champion's a heel at the moment).

I thought this was typically up and down from AEW. The good outweighed the bad - but at 4 hours, which I think is too long for a wrestling show, you could've easily chopped the bad.

I do like the WCW approach they take to putting cracking matches on early - but does anyone know what time the main show started in the US? It would've benefited from starting as little as 15 minutes later, cos the daylight at the start of the Page/Cage match was awful, but it was fine by the end.

I also thought the tag title match was excellent - I hope that feud continues.

The battle royal was good, but I've never really gotten Jungle Boy.

The Cody match was an example of something that could've been chopped. He's helping to run a really good wrestling company here - I'm seeing his value less and less as being in the ring. It's probably been 2 years since the Dustin match that he did something worth watching.

The TNT title was a decent little hoss fight, but it felt like a lot of waiting around. I don't mind Archer, and I can see what they were trying to do with Miro getting him a hoss win early in his title reign, but this was another match that didn't really need to be on the show.

Sadly the women's title match wasn't as good as the occasion deserved, but I think the whole heel/face dynamic here was difficult, as the crowd was clearly ready for Baker to win, which didn't tie into the story they were telling. You give them a pass here I guess.

I was pleasantly surprised by Sting... but I have no idea why he's beating guys like Scorpio Sky...

The title match was just the definition of B+ to me. I'm repeating myself by now, I just really loathe 3-way matches because they're almost impossible to do originally, and to make creative, and as such there's only ever been 3 decent 3-way matches in history. Just give me PAC and Cassidy in one on one matches vs Omega.

And the Stadium Stampede? I dunno man. It just wasn't as good or as creative as last year. I didn't like that they just broke off into 3 pairs plus a tag and we just saw bits and pieces of 4 different fights. I thought last year was much more creative as they all interacted with each other on and immediately around the field. I popped Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong and Konnan (especially Meyer's "holy s**t"), but I doubt many Australians even knew who they were! The bit with the Shad Khan stand up was also very funny.

I don't think the concept is dead by any means - I just don't think it can main event your biggest show of the year, cos you can't have 90% of your main event playing out on the screen for the live crowd. If anything, Stadium Stampede is probably your Dynamite match - or even your Rampage match, cos you can film an hour without a crowd - and Blood & Guts is probably your DoN match.

I think this is a 7.5/10 show that was so damn close to being a 9/10 show - just shorten it, cut some s**t, and improve your creativity in a couple of key matches.

Last edited:
Overall ok. Show was too long. Move Battle Royal to pre show (sorry Deeb and Rhio as their match was awesome) and scrap Cody v Agogo.

Cage v Page good and Tag was great. Battle Royal good but as I said should have been on pre show. Love JB winning.

Cody v Agogo was actually a good match and Agogo looked really good. But no one gives a s**t about him or this feud and why should they? Only reason for this to be there was for Agogo to shockingly win fairly quickly and he didn't. I just don't get this at all.

Miro v Archer ok but this could also have been cut or perhaps in place of the first match. Had trouble picking crowd back up after previous nonsense.

Women's title match really good and got people back into it. Bit too much interference from Rebel though and she should have been thrown out earlier.

Next tag a bit long. Heat on Allen at the start and mid to later stages only needed to be about half that long. Good finish at least.

Title match better than expected. Still wish it was just Pac v Omega. Callis interference dragged on too long. Fair enough interfere but do it quick. That just buried the refs and AEW in general for not sending security out to piss him off.

Stampede not really my thing. Good that Sammy won but again I think the final sequence could have been wound up more quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back