AEW Double or Nothing, Monday 30th May 2022, 10am AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingston is one of the first guys when I started watching AEW that first thought without really seeing him "what's the big deal" but he really is great.

That walk down the ramp covered with blood and the fuel can made him look legit nuts.

Thought Punk was a guy that came back and looked like he was past it, but he's been great.

Hangman has lifted since starting the angle with Punk too.

Fan of the match too so far.

Hangman's reign was boring.......but I'll take that over CM Punk, ugh. I legitimately can't stand this dickhead.

Where to for Hangman now?

Time would have been great to pull the trigger on one of them going full heel.

I reckon they're going again so maybe this was part of the storyline to him going full heel in next match.

Hanger is really good as the underdog chaser I dont like him as champion personally.

He hasn't been the best since winning, but he hasn't been helped by some horrid booking that basically had him as an afterthought.

I'll reserve judgement though to see where he goes from here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have been a great PPV but Khan's booking of the Owen was diabolical, and the TNT title nonsense was there. I said at the start that Cole and Baker should get eliminated in round 1 and I feel extremely comfortable in saying that would have been better than what we got here. Cole/Joe was terrible, a boring as hell "adam cole in control" segment for most of the match which no-one cared about then interference (which the crowd did care about) and a dud finish, and Baker/Ruby, while better than their previous match and better than Cole/Joe, was doomed to have a unfulfilling finish, either Baker wins or Ruby wins in boring arse 50/50 booking. KOR/Darby was obviously better than the man's final and I'm left believing KOR vs Dax was the way to go, Canada's boy vs Hart family stan. Jamie/Toni probably should have been the final but honestly the number of wrestlers who were a worse option than Baker in that spot is few. It was capped with the heels just standing there like geeks during Martha's lovely speech. No-one's gonna care that Baker/Cole won in a week's time and if they try to make it part of their character I don't see it going well.

Mixed match was standard with the dumb tag rules they have - no-one cared until the men and women started hitting each other anyway. Tay/PVZ did well in their spots.

Was very happy with basically everything else which is what makes the above so disappointing

Thank goodness that world title reign is over.

Be interesting to see where it goes next hopefully it’s a short sharp run for Punk.

wardlow/mjf: everything it needed to be. wardlow stopping the 2 count a highlight

hardy's/young bucks: bucks and cutler did everything possible to make the match good, including cutler taking a crazy bump on the apron that no-one acknowledged, and the crowd was into it, but the hardy's are toast and their future matches when it's not the best tag team in the world who always make their opponents look their best are gonna be very rough unless a miracle happens to Jeff

jade/anna: fine. too long. like the post-match angle. if her next match is with kris or athena it'll be a big challenge for jade. stokely hathaway was always coming in if he wanted to with all his relationships and shared ground in AEW, and he should work with jade a lot better than smart mark.

house of black/death triangle: classic PWG multi man match. great stuff. lights going out left to panic that bray wyatt was coming in but finishing the julia angle works.

adam cole/samoa joe: worst match of the night for me. at least jade did her version of the tour of the islands move. it was boring, there was no emotion in it, and it's impossible to not consider the other booking possibilities that could have taken place.

baker/ruby: better than their last match, better than the above, but too long and ruby's sharp-shooter is up there with the Rock's...(although it wasn't a good night on this front). Ruby's kickout after the curb stomp was very good, Baker's kickout's after Ruby's nearfalls...not so good.

men of the year vs other losers: sucked and no-one cared, until PVZ/Tay belatedly came in when it sucked slightly less and led to the inevitable men vs women spots which were the only things anyone cared about

KOR/darby: KOR is a great wrestler. darby is a madman. this was needed to get the show back on track after the previous 50 minutes of doom even if the crowd reaction wasn't there until the end. kind of reminded me of Shida vs Thunder Rosa in 2020 when they had a perfectly solid match after the horrific Hardy/Sammy match.

rosa/deeb: very solid. crowd got into it. deeb's cloverleaf submission was almost as bad as ruby's sharpshooter. great finish.

anarchy in the arena: simply amazing. jericho in his interview in the media scrum confirmed that the song playing was just doing new jack's thing to provide something during the brawling in the crowd part of the match. eddie kingston coming down with the gasoline can, playing into his amazing promo that he cut during the last week, elevated it to godly status.

jurassic express/team taz/keith lee & swerve: great stuff despite the disadvantage of it being a triple threat. don't like jurassic express retaining but whatever.

punk/hangman: right decision and good match with a great crowd, but the stuff on TV in the lead-up wasn't what it should have been. interested in where hangman goes from here. punk will probably turn by the time Grand Slam in September. should be fun.

After the week he's had with MJF, Khan bringing in Rush is extremely funny to me

The Wardlow vs MJF match was what it needed to be, and if that was indeed MJF's last appearance in AEW, what a conclusion to the MJF character. Going out by having his former bodyguard best him so badly he left on a stretcher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back