AEW Double or Nothing, Monday 30th May 2022, 10am AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I really enjoyed this show and I feel some of the negativity I'm seeing online may have something to do with lofty expectations about AEW more so than the quality of the show itself.

Too much to cover in depth right now, but Punk vs Page, Deeb vs Rosa, Death Triangle vs House of Black and O'Riley vs Allin were my favourite matches of the evening.

Ruby's perfectly fine, not great, a solid hand who is a bit over. Her matches over the last couple of weeks against Stat and Riho were good, which yes is because those two are the best, but the exact same criticisms apply to Baker whose list of good matches is against those same opponents + Shida + Rosa in a stunt match. The problem is simply that it never should have been the final. Didn't create a star, didn't create any moments. Just a waste

Watched it again in full today as was dealing with my new born son so caught bits and pieces yesterday and it was a great event, if anything to long but still you can't fault the match quality.

Even if the MJF stuff is a work there is a lot of truths inside the work which is very similar to the HBK/Bret and if anything brings that "realism
' feel back to it a bit. Who knows where it leads but I did read MJF has been taken off the road for a bit now. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a face turn as he is the perfect heel. See what plays out there both backstage and on the TV.

Not a fan of Cole winning , I view it like Wardlow crushed MJF, Joe is a beast and should crush a guy like Cole's size.

Trio's match was fantastic and whilst I think the Punk/Page build up was ordinary and Page's reign has been underwhelming the match itself had that big fight feel that delivered. I hope Punk's reign is short or at the very least he goes heel soon because I just can't see a line up of exciting match ups for him as a face. MJF again? Miro would be a good option, seen Bryan vs Punk plenty before and whilst it would deliver in ring not sure it's needed over the title. Could be a great chance for Punk to go heel and have Wardlow be the one to knock him off eventually. What better way to make Wardlow with a title win over one of the big dogs in AEW.

No time for the Hardy's would have rather seen FTR on the card instead.

8.5/10 event for mine

pre show match of Hookhausen vs Nese/Sterling gave the crowd what they wanted, as did Wardlow-MJF.

thought the Jade-Anna Jay match over-delivered based on the expectations. Hardys/Bucks and House of Black/Death Triangle matches were really great.

seemed weird for Statlander to get cheered over Ruby on Rampage, then she makes the save for Anna Jay and stands up to Jade, now the crowd is thinking "ok, we can get behind a Statlander-Jade match". Then Athena comes out and it's like Statlander is put on the back burner again.

a bit similar for Ruby, she gets the big entrance and the crowd support during the match, and they don't go with her. liked the WM10 finish though.

the Cole-Joe match wasn't quite the high quality match the fans hoped to see, but at least there wasn't interference from Lethal and co (instead Fish).

I didn't get the 6 person mixed tag at all. Who was I supposed to cheer for?! Also Darby losing didn't make make sense.

Anarchy match was crazy good, and 3 way tag match and Women's Title match were both good. Punk-Hangman could have been a little better, but if you wanted Punk to win, then you got it.

way too many superkicks and sharpshooters, and the show was a tad long. I really enjoyed the show, even though half of my thoughts appear to be criticisms.

Finally finished watching it! The joys of working NOT!

Not their best PPV imo. My biggest gripe is that there were Too many matches on the card, I think they could have cut at least 3 matches and bring it back down to 3 hours. Over 4, it starts to become a challenge. Although still solid. I’m one of the few that enjoyed both the Soho Baker match and Cole vs Joe matches. They were both a great back and forth contest.

With the headlines surrounding MJF before the PPV, I was surprised that they opened the show. I was expecting them to drag it out, saying no one has seen MJF blah blah, and keep it going for a bit, so when the match is on the verge of a forfeit, MJF comes out and goes for a sneak attack ect. I was also surprised at the squash. Now that MJF has moved on from Wardlow, it’s going to be interesting to see if they go with the contract storyline?

The top guys vs Sammy and co was better than I thought it was going to be. That was mainly due to the experience of Kazarian, His disgust at his team mates lack of professionalism, while wanting to win was great to watch his personal conflict. Paige VanZant looked pretty impressive for her first match as well.

the worst match for me was the tag team title match. The only highlights of the match was Sparks and Hobbs. Replace Strickland and Lee with FTR, and it could have been a lot better match. The sooner Jurassic Express lose the titles the better. They are such a bland, spot fest team.

The JAS vs BCC and Kingston and co, yep it’s a Moxley kind of death match, it did what it needed to, the major highlight was Kingston with his gas can threatening to set fire to Jericho, and Danielson stopping him.

pre show match of Hookhausen vs Nese/Sterling gave the crowd what they wanted, as did Wardlow-MJF.

thought the Jade-Anna Jay match over-delivered based on the expectations. Hardys/Bucks and House of Black/Death Triangle matches were really great.

seemed weird for Statlander to get cheered over Ruby on Rampage, then she makes the save for Anna Jay and stands up to Jade, now the crowd is thinking "ok, we can get behind a Statlander-Jade match". Then Athena comes out and it's like Statlander is put on the back burner again.

a bit similar for Ruby, she gets the big entrance and the crowd support during the match, and they don't go with her. liked the WM10 finish though.

the Cole-Joe match wasn't quite the high quality match the fans hoped to see, but at least there wasn't interference from Lethal and co (instead Fish).

I didn't get the 6 person mixed tag at all. Who was I supposed to cheer for?! Also Darby losing didn't make make sense.

Anarchy match was crazy good, and 3 way tag match and Women's Title match were both good. Punk-Hangman could have been a little better, but if you wanted Punk to win, then you got it.

way too many superkicks and sharpshooters, and the show was a tad long. I really enjoyed the show, even though half of my thoughts appear to be criticisms.

I enjoyed the HookHausen match, it was a great little prelude.

I haven’t seen the Statlander match from Rampage, but thought it was her best match in AEW, possibly even best since signing with WWE.

Never realised Britt’s theme was worthy of a fancy guitar entrance.

Really??? My lord she was awful at DON.

I just watched the Statlander match from Rampage. Soho is pathetic. She's good at being beaten up, but her offence just has no weight to it. Elbows that don't even look like they're more than a tap. Other than a hurricanrana which, let's face it, the other person has to sell, she puts on maybe a few armbars and the rest of the time just gets shitmixed by Statlander, who was far more impressive.

Real botch to have Soho anywhere near this tournament final. I get it, she's the fodder, but damn. Could have been bracketed way better.

Really??? My lord she was awful at DON.

I just watched the Statlander match from Rampage. Soho is pathetic. She's good at being beaten up, but her offence just has no weight to it. Elbows that don't even look like they're more than a tap. Other than a hurricanrana which, let's face it, the other person has to sell, she puts on maybe a few armbars and the rest of the time just gets shitmixed by Statlander, who was far more impressive.

Real botch to have Soho anywhere near this tournament final. I get it, she's the fodder, but damn. Could have been bracketed way better.
Yea I don't mind Soho so much but this tournament could have been a real springboard for Stat. She is extremely young though and has plenty of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The journey from anxious millennial babyface to entitled millennial heel is sooo short. I'm excited to see what Hangman does next for the first time since he won the title.

Also, did anyone think that JR's promotion of Draft Kings was the commentary equivalent of Shawn Michaels bumping like an arsehole against Hulk Hogan? I thought it was hilarious!

There was just too much on this show. That's why it took me 3 days to start watching it and nearly 2 days for me to finish watching it. Just one of their standard, mediocre for them 8/10 shows I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back