List Mgmt. AFC 2013 draft pick 46 - Riley Knight

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to have a player who can '"$#/^&%=×+÷# kick.
his kicking has actually been a bit below par since he was drafted. had an awesome kick before then. more his decision making really but i think its something he definitely needs to work on. still much better than a lot of our current starters! hes got great athleticism though, pace, can gut run all game and had pretty solid marks on the weekend which surprised me. needs to use his tank more effectively to get at the right places at the right time like a sidebottom/ebert as right now hes not an accumulator at all even at sanfl only avg about 18 touches

his kicking has actually been a bit below par since he was drafted. had an awesome kick before then. more his decision making really but i think its something he definitely needs to work on. still much better than a lot of our current starters! hes got great athleticism though, pace, can gut run all game and had pretty solid marks on the weekend which surprised me. needs to use his tank more effectively to get at the right places at the right time like a sidebottom/ebert as right now hes not an accumulator at all even at sanfl only avg about 18 touches

He uses his pace quite well in the SANFL. He will learn to use it in the AFL. Showed well above average for a first gamer.

He uses his pace quite well in the SANFL. He will learn to use it in the AFL. Showed well above average for a first gamer.
his tank allows him to get ball on the outside which means his game doesnt differ as much from sanfl to afl level as say a key forward. hopefully turns into our next sloane!

his tank allows him to get ball on the outside which means his game doesnt differ as much from sanfl to afl level as say a key forward. hopefully turns into our next sloane!
got better skills and speed, so I think they will ultimately be a bit different.

he looks the goods if you ask me,. but absolute reeks of a player that we won't give enough opportunities. A La Kerridge, Lyons, Grigg

Grigg and Kedge got medium term injuries whilst in the side. Not sure what you're getting at

Had a good debut. That's a real positive. With any luck he'll develop into a genuine AFL footballer and help our team win matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't underestimate how hard that game was for Riley on the weekend. You might have noticed he was the only one with a double armband.

I lost my cousin 18 months ago in a car accident, who happened to be his best mate. Riley had just been drafted to the Crows and this loss was unbelievably hard on him. His determination to live out his dream and finally get selected for a game was perhaps his highest point since that accident. Then he loses another person a day later that plays such a large role in his life. Saturday night was an outpouring of emotion of all different kinds for those two people pretty close to him. I have loved reading the responses on here, because you're all absolutely spot on about the type of character he is.

He has bravery, guts and determination. Everything you want in a footballer. You guys have truly got an absolute gem here, trust me.

Don't underestimate how hard that game was for Riley on the weekend. You might have noticed he was the only one with a double armband.

I lost my cousin 18 months ago in a car accident, who happened to be his best mate. Riley had just been drafted to the Crows and this loss was unbelievably hard on him. His determination to live out his dream and finally get selected for a game was perhaps his highest point since that accident. Then he loses another person a day later that plays such a large role in his life. Saturday night was an outpouring of emotion of all different kinds for those two people pretty close to him. I have loved reading the responses on here, because you're all absolutely spot on about the type of character he is.

He has bravery, guts and determination. Everything you want in a footballer. You guys have truly got an absolute gem here, trust me.
Seems like a genuinely good kid too, you don't see that often enough.

Just for the fun of it - here is what I wrote about Riley when he was drafted;

"I know Riley and have watched him for a couple of years.
To give you an idea of what he is like - he is the most professional and determined footballer you would meet. He will put 100% in to everything.
He plays like that on the ground as well. Fierce competitor, he refuses to be beaten. He is incredibly fit and would have been top 3 in beep test had he been fit to test. He has speed (burst type) and can play inside (very good clearance player) and outside - played a high forward flank role for State U18 team. He is also one of the most fierce tacklers you will see.
He played limited matches with the Eagles U18's as he was playing in the State team, is a boarder at St. Peter's College and had a knee injury (cartlidge).
To give you an idea of Riley's character - Riley was told to have the knee operation in the lead up to the St. Peter's V PAC match at the end of the school season (a BIG match). On the Tuesday night it looked like he wouldn't play.
Riley chose to delay the operation a week and played the match. He was outstanding, kicked the match sealer and with Mitch Harvey (now at Port) led Saints to a shock win.

I'm absolutely thrilled Riley is at the Crows. In terms of who he plays most like? I would say Rory Sloane - gut runner and refuses to be beaten one on one.

Hope that helps!"

I reckon I got that one about right!! Really pleased we got to see his tackling on Sunday. With him and CC in the forward line, there will be some real defensive tackling pressure there!

Maggsy is spot on.

Knight is an absolute ripper; went in HARD in the first quarter in one of the fiercest quarters of footy I've ever seen.

What a gun he is gonna be for us.

It's crazy to think that two new guys like Knight and Cameron are our best tacklers. It's not just the intent from them either, but the actual mechanics of it too. That tackle Knight did on Lobbe early, he perfectly held Lobbe's arm back to prevent him getting the handpass away, something a large number of our players don't do as they tend to focus on the hips to drag them down, which leaves their arms free to fire off a handball rather easily.

It's crazy to think that two new guys like Knight and Cameron are our best tacklers. It's not just the intent from them either, but the actual mechanics of it too. That tackle Knight did on Lobbe early, he perfectly held Lobbe's arm back to prevent him getting the handpass away, something a large number of our players don't do as they tend to focus on the hips to drag them down, which leaves their arms free to fire off a handball rather easily.
every... single... time...

I feel bad singling guys out all the time so I won't, but there is a small and strong contingent of players who still just hug people's arses while they weigh up all the options.

Maggsy is spot on.

Knight is an absolute ripper; went in HARD in the first quarter in one of the fiercest quarters of footy I've ever seen.

What a gun he is gonna be for us.
Bloody oath he did…was quite inspirational and absolutely 'got the job done'…something we've failed to do so many times in big games and first quarters in particular.

I watched at the ground but it was on watching the replay could I see just how epic those tackles were!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back