List Mgmt. AFC 2013 draft pick 46 - Riley Knight

Remove this Banner Ad

every... single... time...

I feel bad singling guys out all the time so I won't, but there is a small and strong contingent of players who still just hug people's arses while they weigh up all the options.

I think the theory is that if you follow the arm you can be fooled into tackling the wrong way, but if you follow the hips you can always lay the tackle.

Unfortunately the thinking is outdated now that players are so good at handballing under tackling pressure, and the footy systems are such that there is always someone nearby to receive it.

I think the theory is that if you follow the arm you can be fooled into tackling the wrong way, but if you follow the hips you can always lay the tackle.

Unfortunately the thinking is outdated now that players are so good at handballing under tackling pressure, and the footy systems are such that there is always someone nearby to receive it.
when they can't take the arms straight away, watch the best tacklers get the hips first to control the opponent and then move one hand off the hips and go for an arm.

even taking two arms at once seems dated now because more often than not the ball spills and its play on. Pinning a single arm makes it very difficult to get rid of the ball without it being called a drop or a throw.

his tank allows him to get ball on the outside which means his game doesnt differ as much from sanfl to afl level as say a key forward. hopefully turns into our next sloane!

Gee if he's anything like Sloany we'll be doing really well. He's already kicked a few nice goals.

This kid could be anything I reckon.

Unlike the vast majority of our other young mids, Riley appears to have a great combination of pace, endurance, skill and mongrel. In addition to this, from all reports he's genuinely a great human being, which certainly counts for something in my book. Almost every other one of our mids / smalls aged under 24 lack at least one of those attributes (the main exception is probably Laird and look how well that's turning out).

I reckon he could be a real weapon for us for the next 10 years. Half forward should be his domain initially, but his future is no doubt in the engine room. Love his attitude. Great start to his career so far. :thumbsu:

This kid could be anything I reckon.

Unlike the vast majority of our other young mids, Riley appears to have a great combination of pace, endurance, skill and mongrel. In addition to this, from all reports he's genuinely a great human being, which certainly counts for something in my book. Almost every other one of our mids / smalls aged under 24 lack at least one of those attributes (the main exception is probably Laird and look how well that's turning out).

I reckon he could be a real weapon for us for the next 10 years. Half forward should be his domain initially, but his future is no doubt in the engine room. Love his attitude. Great start to his career so far. :thumbsu:

Um add in Brown and Smith in there as well as exceptions.

Um add in Brown and Smith in there as well as exceptions.

Brown not overly quick and not a great kick. He's not slow, and he's not a bad kick though, I'll give you that.

Smith just lacks the mongrel. Never seen him smash anyone as hard as Knight was going in on Sunday.

Just my opinion.

I wasn't overly impressed last season and though he had no outstanding attributes what so ever. From what I've seen this year it's pretty much the same except he has just upped his game across the board to make him what looks to be an AFL player! Decent pace, nous and skills as well as being an awesome tackler. Will need to see more of him but he already has surprised me so far.

Brown not overly quick and not a great kick. He's not slow, and he's not a bad kick though, I'll give you that.

Smith just lacks the mongrel. Never seen him smash anyone as hard as Knight was going in on Sunday.

Just my opinion.
I agree with what you've got here, but I wouldn't have Laird too significantly above Brown for pace to refer to your post before.

Just my opinion.

Brown is a lot quicker than you think. How else does he keep up with all those fast small forwards and beat them? Or how does he actually close down on them when they are attempting to run away from him? His kicking is pretty decent as well.

Smith doesn't 'smash' people but there is a def a bit of mongrel in him. He doesn't take a step backwards and very much flies the flag for his teammates. Mongrel is more than just tackling opposition players.

Brown is a lot quicker than you think. How else does he keep up with all those fast small forwards and beat them? Or how does he actually close down on them when they are attempting to run away from him? His kicking is pretty decent as well.

Smith doesn't 'smash' people but there is a def a bit of mongrel in him. He doesn't take a step backwards and very much flies the flag for his teammates. Mongrel is more than just tackling opposition players.
mongrel is an interesting one, you want a few enforcer types but you don't need everyone to act like Crowley. Look at Ablett, I'd have him very low on what I'd call "mongrel" but he is still a competitive beast.

but I suppose that's just semantics.

Just my opinion.
Just on Brown's pace; there was an article in this or last year's preseason on the club's website that had him in our top five for speed. My guess is that he's fast but playing a lockdown role prevents him from showing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Brown's pace; there was an article in this or last year's preseason on the club's website that had him in our top five for speed. My guess is that he's fast but playing a lockdown role prevents him from showing it.
I think a lot of that is having the confidence in where to run in an offensive sense too.

easy to chase at pace (which he does), but you never see him using it to run and carry himself. Add that string to his bow and I'd be pretty damn excited.

I think a lot of that is having the confidence in where to run in an offensive sense too.

easy to chase at pace (which he does), but you never see him using it to run and carry himself. Add that string to his bow and I'd be pretty damn excited.

One of the bits I loved on the weekend was when he sprinted into the open space at a kick-out and broke the zone open. Everyone was just expecting a kick to the members side, as usual, and he made the play.

Hey guys quick question since I'm based in Melbourne I don't follow the sanfl or any other league apart from AFL games but are we confident in Knight staying a Crow for his entire career? I know it's too early to ask this question but I'd like to know your thoughts?

Hey guys quick question since I'm based in Melbourne I don't follow the sanfl or any other league apart from AFL games but are we confident in Knight staying a Crow for his entire career? I know it's too early to ask this question but I'd like to know your thoughts?
Strange question. Local kid can't see why not. We must persist with Knight his pace, tackling and running ability are standouts. Neat kick andf finds the goals. Ahead of Wright.

would just like to draw some attention to this little play on the weekend:

that handball should not be underrated, I was sitting behind the goals and it went a lot further laterally than you might think, like a bullet, and Danger doesn't even have to break stride and collects it with ease.

it SHOULD be footballer 101, but we all know too well the players who would and have put passes like that a metre behind the intended target. Knight, Crouch and Atkins all have great footy instincts and we need their sort in the team desperately.

would just like to draw some attention to this little play on the weekend:

that handball should not be underrated, I was sitting behind the goals and it went a lot further laterally than you might think, like a bullet, and Danger doesn't even have to break stride and collects it with ease.

it SHOULD be footballer 101, but we all know too well the players who would and have put passes like that a metre behind the intended target. Knight, Crouch and Atkins all have great footy instincts and we need their sort in the team desperately.

Knight seems to be a great handballer. In the last few weeks I've noticed him set up a number of goals from quick handballs in traffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back