Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKnox

Senior List
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Noticed that there have been several posts in the Father/Son thread about who we should be looking to draft/trade at the end of 2014. It's early days in the season but there's no harm in creating a new thread to keep the Father/Son thread on topic and to give us a place to discuss which potential draftees suit our needs.

There is already a Free Agency thread here on the Crows board.

Some other helpful links:

South Australian draft prospects thread

Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Young Talent Time (Chris25) Phantom Draft

Feel free to discuss which areas of the ground need attention with new draftees or mature players who could be up for trade. A KPD, quick outside mid and backup KPF for Tex spring to mind.

Harder to find a position where we don't need to recruit a gun player. Probably have enough small forwards now, which is ironic given how long we had to wait before they actually bothered to find one (Betts is definite quality & Cameron looks promising... the less said about Petrenko the better).

You forgot to include a ruckman on your list. Most people are calling for the heads of Graham & McKernan (and with good reason on both accounts). That would leave us with Jenkins, Osborn and <crickets chirping> if Jacobs were to get injured.

So many duds on our list, so many positions needing to be filled...

Very early list management changes

In: Gibbs (Free Agent), Cameron, Spina, Battersby plus 4 picks in the national draft.

Out: J-Pod, Graham, Porplzia, Martin, Rutten, Luke Thompson, SMACK (or Lewis Johnston), Petrenko

Why don't we try to pull a gunston? Nice big offer to a promising, young uncontracted kid.

It is long past time for us to spend our picks or dough or both on a fast, skilful outside player.

We need pace in the midfield

Smith, Dangerfield, Sloane, crouch & MacKay

a half back with an elite leg

Gibbs (free agent) and Henderson

a key forward

Most teams are looking for the same player but we may have to seriously consider trading a gun for a gun (Dangerfield, Sloane or Talia) for a Jeremy Cameron from GWS

a ruckman

Jonathan Giles or try again for Danial Gorringe

a key defender

Draft pick number 1 this year. Use it on a key defender unless we can grab Frawley with free agency.

midfield depth

Battersby, wright, crouch Jn.

and a classy half forward....

Grigg, Atkins, Cameron

Im have said this before i think we should trade danger at years end... Not on form i just have this feeling he will be gone the end of next year anyway... We aren t looking at a flag this year or next... Get a young good outside mid and a first round for him.
Dont get me wrong i love danger and what he brings to the table and would hate to see him in a different jumper but i think geelong will get their man

We need to be hitting our straps and looking to challenge in 3 - 4 yrs time while tex sloane talia crouch bros smith are hitting their prime and we ve put plenty of games into the young ones... Try and pinch a player or two that wanna come home. But i think we need to target 22ish yr old blokes that have a couple seasons under their belt.

Tom Read sounds interesting based on what Chris25 says, maybe worth a late pick? Presuming our first pick is top 5ish, Wright, Pickett and Durdin (imagine the fight club references) all sound like reasonable possibilities.

Yep we desperately need ruck man , then maybe a back up and project 18-19 yr plus some talls but we need speed and more speed as we have none really especially if Mackay can't get his act together as we hoped ,like outside runners and if they can defend we will get a bonus from what we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There must be some decent 'hartigan' type late pick ups as mature agers that could fill an AFL role, instead of hacks like petrenko and Luke Thompson.

As such I'd be adjusting the list to get 5-6 draft picks depending on positional needs post FA/trades

Although its a 'KPP draft', there are three standouts with the rest apparently tweeners or 2nd round quality. The first three picks will undobtedly be Wright, McCartin and Durdin. Would love any of them, but can't see us beating Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton and Brisbane into bottom 4. So I'd say our best bet is go for a KPP with our second pick in the early 20s and go fo Jarrad Pickett with our first rounder (hopefully 5-6) to fill our outside hole with quality. Imagine this guy on the slingshot to get AO to its feet! Dare I say McLeodesque? No, I won't... But geez he looks perfect for what we need.

I'll repost this here from th FS thread:

Jarred Pickett – 180cm - 75kg - Mid/ Forward (South Fremantle)

Strengths: Speed, kicking, goal sense

Weaknesses:

Small midfielder/ forward blessed with clean hands, a great kick and strong athletic ability. He's a bit of freak and my number one pick from WA at the moment.

A game breaker wherever he plays. Naturally intelligent forward and a smart dymanic player when he's up the ground.

#5 West Coast – Jarrod Pickett (WA, Util, 177cm, Similar to Harley Bennell):
Jarrod Pickett is as quick as you’ll ever find. He can really take on the game and do offensive damage with his pace when given the time and space on the outside. He’s also got the ability to go onto the ball and win his own footy inside the contest making him a threat when he pushes into the midfield. He’ll need to find more outside ball more consistently so that he can use his pace and take on the game more often and also build up his endurance but otherwise there are some attributes that suggest that he could become something at the next level if things go right.

Quickest mofo in the universe according to this article from U17 days at the AIS:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-29/pickett-stars-in-australian-win

Looks to be one of those classy indigenous outside guns with the 3 Ps pace, poise and polish. Do want :D

Very early list management changes

In: Gibbs (Free Agent), Cameron, Spina, Battersby plus 4 picks in the national draft.

Out: J-Pod, Graham, Porplzia, Martin, Rutten, Luke Thompson, SMACK (or Lewis Johnston), Petrenko

I disagree with these two. We won't delist jpod after only half his contract, especially if he plays like he did last weekend.

I don't know about Spina either, haven't heard a great deal about him mind you, but it seems to me that Kelly would be in line for upgrade before him

Although its a 'KPP draft', there are three standouts with the rest apparently tweeners or 2nd round quality. The first three picks will undobtedly be Wright, McCartin and Durdin. Would love any of them, but can't see us beating Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton and Brisbane into bottom 4. So I'd say our best bet is go for a KPP with our second pick in the early 20s and go fo Jarrad Pickett with our first rounder (hopefully 5-6) to fill our outside hole with quality. Imagine this guy on the slingshot to get AO to its feet! Dare I say McLeodesque? No, I won't... But geez he looks perfect for what we need.

Weaknesses:

Small midfielder/ forward blessed with clean hands, a great kick and strong athletic ability. He's a bit of freak and my number one pick from WA at the moment.

A game breaker wherever he plays. Naturally intelligent forward and a smart dymanic player when he's up the ground.

Jarrod Pickett is as quick as you’ll ever find. He can really take on the game and do offensive damage with his pace when given the time and space on the outside. He’s also got the ability to go onto the ball and win his own footy inside the contest making him a threat when he pushes into the midfield. He’ll need to find more outside ball more consistently so that he can use his pace and take on the game more often and also build up his endurance but otherwise there are some attributes that suggest that he could become something at the next level if things go right.

Quickest mofo in the universe according to this article from U17 days at the AIS:

Looks to be one of those classy indigenous outside guns with the 3 Ps pace, poise and polish. Do want :D

Man I love his pace and 2nd efforts (from that video), would be a great get.

Watched West and Eagles last night, no one really impressed me that much.
Centrals vs Norwood, Luke Habel and Josh Glenn really showed some skills.
Habel can at least kick both feet and possesses speed. Glenn balanced, skilful left footer.
Watch their progress with interest.

I disagree with these two. We won't delist jpod after only half his contract, especially if he plays like he did last weekend.

I don't know about Spina either, haven't heard a great deal about him mind you, but it seems to me that Kelly would be in line for upgrade before him
Yes definitely Kelly has been named in the best players for both SANFL matches

Why don't we try to pull a gunston? Nice big offer to a promising, young uncontracted kid.

It is long past time for us to spend our picks or dough or both on a fast, skilful outside player.
Agree. it won't happen but s**t it would be nice to have a player leave a club and nominate us.

People still seem to deal with Hawthorn and Sydney, despite our recruiters claiming that as a big reason we don't poach.

Weaknesses:

Yeah he is one i have been eying off but we wont get a pick that high. If Frawley leaves Melbourne they will get a pick in the top 5 and so will Carlton if they loose Gibbs through compo picks. Melbourne could also get another emergency pick from the AFL cos they are so s**t. Melbourne could have three of the top 5 picks ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back