List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's worrying that he'll jump ship first chance he gets.
He's had a couple of interviews, he makes mention of Port because of the family connection, but he's also been very clear on being excited just to be able to get an opportunity and will go anywhere.

He's from Darwin so anywhere is a big move - the Port thing has been a bit overplayed IMO. He hasn't given the Whinegard spoilt brat image at all

I have never understood the fascination with with wanting to draft players based on what impact they will have in their first year.

Who would you rather have? Rhys Palmer, who won the rising star in his first year, or Danger who took a couple of years to get going?

Drafting should be about what's best for you in three to five years time, not the next season.
Danger played in his first year. I would like that option in pick 14. Drafting should not necessarily be for three or four yrs time only. Think Ollie Wines or Jeager O'Meara. I'm not asking for a rising star but if you can get some games out of a first year draftee there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Danger played in his first year. I would like that option in pick 14. Drafting should not necessarily be for three or four yrs time only. Think Ollie Wines or Jeager O'Meara. I'm not asking for a rising star but if you can get some games out of a first year draftee there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.
I am not saying that you shouldn't expect to get games from them in the first year. What I am saying is you pick the player you think is going to be the better player in that three to five year period.

Not based on what I output they will give you on their first year

I am not saying that you shouldn't expect to get games from them in the first year. What I am saying is you pick the player you think is going to be the better player in that three to five year period.

Not based on what I output they will give you on their first year
Understood, but output in a first year is helping build that development that you will have.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/phantom-draft-2014-christian-petracca-set-to-be-no1-pick-essendon-could-land-bargain-in-peter-wright/story-fnp04d70-1227116889916?from=herald sun_rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Another story on Wright slipping out of the Top 10 and into the reach of the Crows at 14. If they're going a best available strategy then they can't pass him up?

i wonder why he is sliding... honestly i'd pass on him, purely because we have more pressing needs with pick 14.

A subtle tamper is probably to try and drop from the guy who's picking at 12 to the guy who's picking at 14, not to try and drop all the way to 50 odd. BTW, when was that interview done? Maybe it was back when Port had pick #17 or whatever.

Exactly. I don't think recruiters will let him drop that far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think our engine room which is critical broke down so many times when there was no outside movement. We are good at the ruck stoppage and getting the ball but that third possession to the outside was a fizzer. Look at our game against west coast. Absolutely critical we improve in that area. We become more cohesive in the middle, improve our both ways running and the defence will have an easier Time and our offence will get the ball delivered better.

We can't have as we went from 10 to 14 stating we would get the player we wanted
Maybe the best available at 10 is sure to be there at 14 (according to our recruiters). I recall we ranked Dangerfield second in his year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back