2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Lynch's house sold on weekend. I am sure i read Mackay was returning home from the SANFL website or a newspaper article who were definitive on this move back to Vic.
Think I read on the weekend South were still planning to sign him

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Sauce to help out Godden.

Also have signed a few. Chris Hall has come back.

Adelaide has recruited a host of new players ahead of the 2022 SANFL season, including former Central District speedster Isaya McKenzie, ex-Eagle Chris Hall and former West Adelaide and state under-18 Josh Smithson.

bigman

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2004
All Parts
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sauce to help out Godden.

Also have signed a few. Chris Hall has come back.

Adelaide has recruited a host of new players ahead of the 2022 SANFL season, including former Central District speedster Isaya McKenzie, ex-Eagle Chris Hall and former West Adelaide and state under-18 Josh Smithson.

hall looked cooked to me last year

Apr 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jacobs....the guy who chose not to play SANFL finals when O'Brien was un-qualified, and both Hunter and Strachan were out injured. Leaving a young CHF Himmelberg as the only ruck option with Fogarty and Otten try to help out, leading to a loss, letting down all his teammates....basically making a joke of having a Crows team in the SANFL, now he is a part of it.... I'm surprised the SANFL didn't kick us out for that.(Money, I guess) A lot to make up for in SANFL circles, ironically you only played one year of your 2 year deal at GWS, but still annoyed us Crows supporters who pay attention.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Jacobs....the guy who chose not to play SANFL finals when O'Brien was un-qualified, and both Hunter and Strachan were out injured. Leaving a young CHF Himmelberg as the only ruck option with Fogarty and Otten try to help out, leading to a loss, letting down all his teammates....basically making a joke of having a Crows team in the SANFL, now he is a part of it.... I'm surprised the SANFL didn't kick us out for that.(Money, I guess) A lot to make up for in SANFL circles, ironically you only played one year of your 2 year deal at GWS, but still annoyed us Crows supporters who pay attention.

Honestly, it feels like a very "fan-only" opinion to think that Sam Jacobs should have played a couple of irrelevant extra games in the two's, when an injury would have cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It seems like a naive and unrealistic way to view a decision by a professional athlete.

If he'd gotten a knee injury playing in a Pro-Am game, it would have cost him and his family $200k+. And for what end? Our SANFL team is just there to develop players, the results are secondary.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Think I read on the weekend South were still planning to sign him

Thought Dmac was heading east. Strange there's been no talk RE coaching, even at the lowest development end. I've seen him do pressers once or twice and he's the best and most articulate speaker I've seen from our list throughout the last decade or so. Whatever he decides to do, he'll be successful, there's no doubt about that. If I could buy shares in any of our older player's future earnings, Dmac would be the standout choice for mine.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Honestly, it feels like a very "fan-only" opinion to think that Sam Jacobs should have played a couple of irrelevant extra games in the two's, when an injury would have cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It seems like a naive and unrealistic way to view a decision by a professional athlete.

If he'd gotten a knee injury playing in a Pro-Am game, it would have cost him and his family $200k+. And for what end? Our SANFL team is just there to develop players, the results are secondary.

typical fanbois response. Guy is culturally toxic. The last type of teammate we want as a development coach. But I guess these are the decisions that will anchor us at mid table and find Kelly out.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every time I saw Dmac do interviews, every second word was "um" or "ah".

I didn't notice that. I've onky seen a couple though, but both times he was super impressive. In terms of direct speeking, he's up there with Tex. unfortunately for Tex, he lost points due to his country drawl. But he is also a straight speaker that is worth listening to. No bullshit, no fluff, question received and question answered.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
typical fanbois response. Guy is culturally toxic. The last type of teammate we want as a development coach. But I guess these are the decisions that will anchor us at mid table and find Kelly out.
Oh, tell us about all of the experiences you've had with Sam Jacobs, where you realised he was a culturally toxic person?

You have a lot of opinions about people's character, considering you've never met any of them.

I guess everyone's learned to ignore you about Rory Sloane and your pathological obsession with attacking him - but it's good to see you can be poisonous about other players that have played for the Crows, and not just Sloane.

Apr 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

Yeah, true it's a fan opinion. As opposed to an aflpa Dangerfield players first opinion haha.
I understand the why, risk inj. But he did choose the GWS deal over our 1 year deal, and only played 1 yr anyway.
We were short of ruckmen for one finals match. Both Strachan and Hunter inj, O'Brien ineligible cuz he played AFL.
He's been with the club for how many years, but can still turn his back on his mates for one finals match! Now he's mentoring guys in that team. In the comp he basically spat at.
Just doesn't feel like the right character to mentor.

On moto g(9) play using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Yeah, true it's a fan opinion. As opposed to an aflpa Dangerfield players first opinion haha.
I understand the why, risk inj. But he did choose the GWS deal over our 1 year deal, and only played 1 yr anyway.
We were short of ruckmen for one finals match. Both Strachan and Hunter inj, O'Brien ineligible cuz he played AFL.
He's been with the club for how many years, but can still turn his back on his mates for one finals match! Now he's mentoring guys in that team. In the comp he basically spat at.
Just doesn't feel like the right character to mentor.

On moto g(9) play using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think we disagree about the purpose of the SANFL games, and how important any particular game is.

I would have liked Jacobs to play, but not because the result matters that much. He would have provided some good leadership and aided in some development.

If he played a reserves game after knowing he didn't have a genuine future at the Ceows and then did his knee, any other club that he was speaking to would have cut him loose. At that stage, for Jacobs the risk involved in playing far outweighed the possible benefits, at least from his perspective.

You might be right that he prioritised his future over the reserves team playing a final - but I think he's always valued and prioritised the club itself.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh, tell us about all of the experiences you've had with Sam Jacobs, where you realised he was a culturally toxic person?

You have a lot of opinions about people's character, considering you've never met any of them.

I guess everyone's learned to ignore you about Rory Sloane and your pathological obsession with attacking him - but it's good to see you can be poisonous about other players that have played for the Crows, and not just Sloane.
So you missed his comments during the year when we wouldn’t drop a performing ROB for him? “My spot” “my spot” “my spot”

Im also pretty sure hey shorty or MRB37 said he had been pissy around the club about not getting his spot back.

As for the SANFL final, you are discounting what the finals meant to the club and players. When you are in the finals you want to win and it would have been great for the kids to play more finals. Jacobs let his teammates and club down for a personal decision, that’s just a fact.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
My views on Jacobs are well known

Yes he is/was a professional and made choices based around that - I just find it very ironic that by not playing that game he denied other junior players of the opportunity to develop a finals mentality - which given his current role as development manager must make him giggle every time he sees his role on the door

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

And I guess the above is the difference between having a team first attitude or not. And is a perfect example of the selfish entitlement issues that have been fostered for so long at our club. But you no doubt woukd believe e player culture has been first rate.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
My views on Jacobs are well known

Yes he is/was a professional and made choices based around that - I just find it very ironic that by not playing that game he denied other junior players of the opportunity to develop a finals mentality - which given his current role as development manager must make him giggle every time he sees his role on the door
I'm not sure I understand. We still played the game, right?

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
And I guess the above is the difference between having a team first attitude or not. And is a perfect example of the selfish entitlement issues that have been fostered for so long at our club. But you no doubt woukd believe e player culture has been first rate.
It was a game in the reserves, in a Pro-Am league that we play in for junior development. If a friend of mine had been it that situation, I would have encouraged him to do exactly what he did.

But don't let that stop you from vomitting bile all over it. You don't need any encouragement to sink back into bitterness.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was a game in the reserves, in a Pro-Am league that we play in for junior development. If a friend of mine had been it that situation, I would have encouraged him to do exactly what he did.

But don't let that stop you from vomitting bile all over it. You don't need any encouragement to sink back into bitterness.
And you don’t need any encouragement to bring out the Pom poms and go into full cheerleader mode.

If you can’t even entertain the thought that the club and players wanted to win that final and ultimately a chance for the flag, you’ve never played a game of sport in your life or been part of a team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back