2nds AFC 2022 SANFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see ROB do it at AFL level. Whoever we play out of Strachan or ROB means that ruck is not going to be an advantage for us. As long as we go close to breaking even or not being flogged in this position then that's ok until we get a better ruck. The player on the long term deal is always going to get preferential treatment unless the club wants to trade out the long term contracted player.
You didn't watch him play a few years ago when he won the B&F??

You didn't watch him play a few years ago when he won the B&F??
I watched him. It said more about the state of our team than ROB that he won the jacket. He took a lot of marks around the ground that year but his kicking skills are always going to let him down. He tries hard but he's not an elite ruck. Hopefully Thilthorpe can develop into one or we can snag one from somewhere.

I watched him. It said more about the state of our team than ROB that he won the jacket. He took a lot of marks around the ground that year but his kicking skills are always going to let him down. He tries hard but he's not an elite ruck. Hopefully Thilthorpe can develop into one or we can snag one from somewhere.
He held his own against the best ruckmen in the AFL when he won the B&F, ROB's strength is his elite endurance which allowed him to get to multiple contest and push back in defense to take intercepting contested mark and his field kick is actually very reliable and isn't as bad as his set shot.

Did you watch last night's game at all?

ROB's kicking was that good it was actually a highlight of his game last night.

Jarrad Redden is a light of other days hence why they chased Ballenden.
He was recruited as a forward. Glenelg wanted him as a Ruck, Eagles wanted him as a forward, so he chose Eagles. Injuries to Redden and Guilhaus, the loss of West and Hayes prior to the season and the fact Lukac and Phillips aren’t ready for League footy yet has meant he’s had to play Ruck, which he’s done well.

PS. Jarrad Redden has won 3 Premierships and dominated in Ruck the last two Grand Finals.

You would hope it takes more than o r good game for ROB to force his way back into the 1’s.

If not you can only guess how disillusioned guys like Parnell and Worrell will become after stringing half a dozen good games together and not getting a sniff.
C'mon. Parnell and Worrell have never had a game in their career that approached what ROB did.

They've been okay and eventually deserve a chance. They've not be dominant at any stage though.

As I said in the other thread, pre-empting selection before players have even played is really poor player management.
If I was Starchan and heard that, I would be asking my manager to find me another team to play for.
Burns literally said nothing.

Ballenden is a fill in ruckman because the Eagles two main ruckman have been injured all season. He was recruited as a key forward for the Eagles.

O’Brien is still uncoordinated and nothing more than an admirable workhorse.
Ballenden was the SA state game ruckman.

Agreed. Not sure Lefty watches games.

He was recruited as a forward. Glenelg wanted him as a Ruck, Eagles wanted him as a forward, so he chose Eagles. Injuries to Redden and Guilhaus, the loss of West and Hayes prior to the season and the fact Lukac and Phillips aren’t ready for League footy yet has meant he’s had to play Ruck, which he’s done well.

PS. Jarrad Redden has won 3 Premierships and dominated in Ruck the last two Grand Finals.
Jarrad Redden can you remind me again of his AFL career.

I watch SANFL football too, he's big, virtually immobile, and can't get off the ground...only thing thing that he's got is his bulk and strength. No doubt injuries have played a part in that but please we're talking rucks that could compete at AFL level.

You seriously aren't going with ROB being a good kick. The bloke takes 3 seconds winding himself up so he doesn't miss the ball with his foot. He may have kicked the ball slightly better against a hapless eagles but ROB and good kick should never be in the same sentence. I don't rate ROB or Strachan for the record but Strachan is the better long term prospect which may be better than anticipated if given opportunity. We know what we have in ROB.

You seriously aren't going with ROB being a good kick. The bloke takes 3 seconds winding himself up so he doesn't miss the ball with his foot. He may have kicked the ball slightly better against a hapless eagles but ROB and good kick should never be in the same sentence. I don't rate ROB or Strachan for the record but Strachan is the better long term prospect which may be better than anticipated if given opportunity. We know what we have in ROB.

Neither should be a long term prospect....Strachan is 26 years old....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jarrad Redden can you remind me again of his AFL career.

I watch SANFL football too, he's big, virtually immobile, and can't get off the ground...only thing thing that he's got is his bulk and strength. No doubt injuries have played a part in that but please we're talking rucks that could compete at AFL level.
He's very skillful TBH

That's his kicking action, as long as he hit the target.

That's his kicking action, as long as he hit the target.
He often doesn't hit the target. Regardless of that he takes too long to kick it. Is there any other player in the league with that kicking action? Look he is what he is but he isn't a skilled kick at all.

He often doesn't hit the target. Regardless of that he takes too long to kick it. Is there any other player in the league with that kicking action? Look he is what he is but he isn't a skilled kick at all.
You are letting his goal kicking cloud your judgement, he has always been a very reliable field kick.

No bloody way is Strachan a better long term prospect, not nor, not ever.

To be fair ROB doesn’t seem to be the answer either, any decent ruck prospects that we should be looking at this draft?
None that I would invest a 1st round pick on.

WA's Jackson Broadbent likely to be the 1st selected. SA's Harry Barnett likely gets drafted.

If we could pick up South Adelaide's Will Verrall with say a 3rd round pick - rookie pick I'd be all over him personally. Very raw, athletic high leaping young ruck with a real on field presence about him.

Nick Murray's brother Toby might be worth a look too, went undrafted last year but being a November birthday still yet to turn 19, another raw athletic ruck with an excellent leap and good agility for a tall lad.

Last edited:
None that I would invest a 1st round pick on.

WA's Jackson Broadbent likely to be the 1st selected. SA's Harry Barnett likely gets drafted.

If we could pick up South Adelaide's Will Verrall with say a 3rd round pick - rookie pick I'm d be all over him personally. Very raw, athletic high leaping young ruck with a real on field presence about him.

Nick Murray's brother Toby might be worth a look too, went undrafted last year but being a November birthday still yet to turn 19, another raw athletic ruck with an excellent leap and good agility for a tall lad.

We definitely need to draft a ruckman to take over in a few years.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So how far off is Newchurch ?

Legitimate chance?
id rather we hadve bought him in for the saints game on the weekend and rested Rachele.

but now theres no way I want him coming in this week.. can just see it now. stuck in the forward line at the cattery getting * all opportunities and then inevitably dropped for the following week never to return until maybe later in the year.

you just know thats how it would go.

best we give him a debut against the eagles at AO.. give him a red hot chance for his first game to get the confidence up!.. reacon he’d get an extra lift from the crowd being a home one too..

id rather we hadve bought him in for the saints game on the weekend and rested Rachele.

but now theres no way I want him coming in this week.. can just see it now. stuck in the forward line at the cattery getting duck all opportunities and then inevitably dropped for the following week never to return until maybe later in the year.

best we give him a debut against the eagles at AO.. give him a red hot chance for his first game to get the confidence up!.. reacon he’d get an extra lift from the crowd being a home one too..
Good thought process here clam

but now theres no way I want him coming in this week.. can just see it now. stuck in the forward line at the cattery getting duck all opportunities and then inevitably dropped for the following week never to return until maybe later in the year.

No one should be brought in for a single game on debut and dropped anyway, at least 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back