2nds AFC 2022 SANFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Hall (retired/SANFL Runner in 2023), Oliver Clarke (PAC OC), Bailey Marshman (Reynella), Ben Salt (Hahndorf), Cam Hutchens (Willunga), Luke McCauley (PAC OC), Jack Lewis
Jack Lewis has gone back to Sturt

Brett Hand gone as coach of Glenelg

Didn't see that coming. They've had a couple of pretty strong years under him.

Some sort of fallout with senior players by the sound of it

It's Glenelg - the senior coaching role is a revolving door :D

Baulderstone was coaching then at training last night next to walkerville training….Numbers were low , a lot of senior players didn’t show up apparently…Only one noticed was McCleods son

Brett Hand gone as coach of Glenelg

Didn't see that coming. They've had a couple of pretty strong years under him.

Some sort of fallout with senior players by the sound of it
Mutiny about to occur, wasn't well liked.

Apparently the job was offered to Campo prior to Hand, Campo had agreed, but backed out at the last second. Been offered the job again, Heath Younie supposed to be an option too.

Mutiny about to occur, wasn't well liked.

Apparently the job was offered to Campo prior to Hand, Campo had agreed, but backed out at the last second. Been offered the job again, Heath Younie supposed to be an option too.
Just need to get Burton and Hass to complete the set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heath Younie owns the house next door, has just booted the tenants out as he is moving back in next week. Has been at North Melb for the last couple of years.

Jack Madgen has officially joined our SANFL team

Adelaide SANFL recruit and marquee player Jack Madgen says he weighed up plenty of options after his AFL career with Collingwood ended in October.

But there was one offer that most appealed to him, not only because he would be playing football in his home state for the team he grew up supporting, but because it would also help him pursue another passion - player welfare.

Madgen, who hails from the Barossa Valley, joined Adelaide’s SANFL side this month, after agreeing to a one-year deal with the Crows for 2023.

As part of his new role, he will do some work within the player welfare space, a career path he is most interested in.

“I am from the Barossa Valley, I grew up going for the Crows, so when me and my manager were talking about opportunities, the leadership, marquee player for the Crows SANFL side looked really attractive,” Madgen said.

“I jumped at it and it is definitely where I want to be and the direction I want my career to go.

“I really wanted to get into the development and welfare space in football, but I also still wanted to play football at the highest level possible for me.

“I can’t wait to put on the Crows colours and hopefully contribute to the success of this Club.”

“I can’t wait to put on the Crows colours and hopefully contribute to the success of this Club.​

Madgen played basketball with Cairns in the NBL after four years in the US college system, before switching to football.

He then went on to play 49 games for Collingwood after being drafted as a Category B Rookie in 2017.

Madgen played the first nine games of the Magpies’ 2022 season but was interrupted by shoulder and thumb injuries, before he was delisted.

Although he was disappointed at the start, he said he was looking forward to helping the youngsters at Adelaide.

“I could sort of see it coming, when you’re not playing at the end of the year and you’re healthy and out of contract, you sort of know it’s a possibility,” Madgen said.

“I just worked on what’s next and the process of elimination, working through the options and the past two months I’ve barely been able to take a breath.

“But now that I’m here and getting stuck into it and meeting everyone, it’s becoming real and I am really happy with the decision.”

Madgen said the player welfare side of footy was an area he had developed a passion for over his five-year AFL career and he was keen to get stuck into it.

“When I was 18, 19, the mental side of the game wasn’t there, like the athlete welfare and becoming a whole person rather than just a footballer,” Madgen said

“I think there’s so much in that and it’s still largely untapped, so I am really looking forward to helping the younger kids and the SANFL-listed guys live like a professional, get their diet and their mental training right.

“I know there’s some great young defenders on the Crows’ AFL list, so to be able to help develop them on the field with leadership and also understanding they are the ones playing for a spot in the AFL side, so doing whatever I can to facilitate that.”

Are we a good chance for the SANFL premiership this forthcoming year?
We had a good year last year, then we lose Brown, Davis, Rowe and Turner and possibly McAsey.

We gain Michalanney, Dowling, Bond and Rankine will push a small forward out of the side, lets say Murphy, so the SANFL team will have him.
We lose little and gain a good defender (MM) and a small forward that carves up at SANFL level (Murph). Dowling and especially Bond have enough size and fitness that they should be able to have an impact straight away.

Add Magden, Tahana and Oloughlin and this is some handy talent to add to our side.

Plus another pre season on a lot of the guys that did alright last year, like Taylor, Nank, Gollant, Pedlar and Cook and Newchurch and that should be some handy improvement.

We'll have Strachany again giving us a major advantage in the ruck. Berg started to get too good for SANFL last year, so if he's not in the ones he'll give the side a good forward option. Luckily we got Magden because key backs look a bit thin. Most of the rest we can cover. We might have guys like Hamill or Sholl running around, they'll start to be too good for SANFL after 3-4 preseasons.

Hard to see us not giving it a real shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back