ofey

Debutant
Mar 25, 2008
Doncaster, Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ajax, Barca, Celtic, Inter, ManU
As instructed by Borgsta, I've started my AFC Ajax thread here to be shifted in future.

Beside Collingwood though, my first love is AFC Ajax.
Out on a limb, besides having ex players Johan Van't Schip and Jesper Olsen running Melbourne Heart these days, I don't know how much interest I can drum up on these boards for what is the Academy of Europe - AFC Ajax.

The players admired as stars for other teams these days are Ajacieds:

From legends such as Cruijff, Van Basten, Bergkamp, the deBoer twins, Litmanen, Davids and the Laudrup brothers.
to Ex-Ajacieds: Seedorf, Ibrahimovic, Maxwell, Chivu, Sneijder, Vermaelen, Van der Vaart, Pienaar, Van der Sar and Suarez
and de toekomst (the future) in Stekelenburg, Vertonghen, Van der Wiel, Eriksen and Sulejmani.

So hup ajax hup anyone?

080410-BekerFinale1993SCHeerenveen6-2VI.jpg

:heart:

How great is it that Denis is back at de toekomst?
He is apparently going to be Asst Manager to Frank de Boer next season.

Miki Sulejmani
Overpriced despite his ability and Jol didn't know how to use him. Now with Luis gone, he's the closest thing to a magician Ajax have.

Dude you are a glory hunter.

I take it then you aren't? You prefer supporting losing teams with no sense of history and no character?

I started watching soccer seriously in the mid-80s.
Ajax since 1983 - Cruijff had just left and future looked bleak as. They're now looking terrible since they've not won the Eridivisie since 2004. Based on your theory I should be supporting PSV or Twente by now.

United since 1985 - yeah 2nd FA cup in 3 years but based on your theory, I should have been supporting Everton or Liverpool at that stage. No league titles since 1968.

Celtic since 1986 - Like you'd fancy any other team in Scotland? sure Fergie was doing well at Aberdeen at the time and Rangers was top dog in the 80s but who didn't like the 'tic? Expert losers in those days.

Barcelona since 1988 - Cruijff's return to Barce. And the start of total football again based on an Ajax template.

Inter since 1988 - After winning nothing for the best part of the 80s, signings in Mattheus and Breame changed everything. Should be supporting AC Milan or Juventus based on your logic.

Go take a history lesson why don't you?
If you like simply supporting the losing team, perhaps your allegiances to Arsenal and the Knicks are appropriate.

umm.... I came in for the XXX thread and I've got nothing.

disappointed. I feel mislead.

The three Xs are a symbol of the city of Amsterdam.

:eek:

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...-over-how-it-should-be-run-article718588.html

Ajax's board of directors tonight announced their resignation over a disagreement with club legend Johan Cruyff over how it should be run.

The directors, including chairman Uri Coronel, made the announcement this evening at a meeting of the club's council members, a statement on the Ajax website confirmed.

"We are not bigger than Ajax," Coronel was quoted as telling a news conference. "Johan Cruyff is not just anyone. He's a demi-god here - or maybe a whole god."

So the board is on its way and one of the Godenzonen's favourite sons is stepping up to take them out of this mire.

Johan Cruijff has been called many things in his life (not all complimentary) but in many Ajax supporter's mind, he is their messiah. His management record has been well rewarded. His start in it was even more bizzare than you can imagine. As an advisor to the club in the 80s when it was managed by Leo Beenhaker, Cruijff was watching his beloved Ajax fall 1-3 in a league match against FC Twente. He came down to the touchline (uninvited as today) and barked out changes from the touchline. All Leo got was a hello at the start and Johan took over. Changing the 4-4-2 Leo was playing back to a 3-4-3. Ajax won the match 5-3.

Barcelona are the legacy now of an Ajax system. The only team who play what is described as tiki-taka. Their current coach is a product of Johan's management at Barcelona.

The one thing that irks alot of supporters is that Cruijff wants to do all of his changes without a formal role in the club. That seems a bit like distancing one's self from responsibility.

It's exciting as hell that he's decided to come help. However, no one is being too hopeful. End of the day it's hard to compete with money.

I remember back as a kid growing up the Ajax team of the mid 90's with your De Boers, Kluiverts, Seehdorfs etc etc - what a team. They really should have stayed together after the 1995 Champions League success - they could have turned into a juggernaut. Any Ajax fans on here think that they can produce such a team again?

How unfortunate... .

Don't get too smug 7zark7, if Cesc, Samir and Arsene leave the gooners, Ashburton Grove may turn out to be a real ghost town.

I'm sure Ajax will still be here regardless whom leaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any Ajax supporters out there? What’s caused their descent into mediocrity the best few years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back