AFC board clueless and out of touch with reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2004
Not in Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC, Arsenal
Just heard a snippet of an interview with Rob Chapman on Sen last Friday before the game.

He is convinced that we are on the right track. We have the right people in place, we will achieve our long term goals and that our current season is just a "blip" that we will overcome.

If this is truly the view of the AFC board then we had all better get used to the garbage that we are currently putting up with. The entire AFC hierachy appear to be beliveing there own internal BS and have become completely insular to the views of the rest of the football community.

WTF? Last year we finished 11th this year we are currently 14th and probably the worst side in the competition. I wont even bother going back to our finals capitulations of previous years. This is not a "blip" you bloody imbeciles.

Matthew Lloyd summed it up extremely well saying that he has seen the Crows get steamrolled too many times now after being in winning positions. He said that the Crows look great when they are allowed to play on their terms but seem to have zero felixibility once the opposition reacts to the Adelaide game plan. Neil Craig does not have any answers when the opposition team stops the run from Johncock (it was almost like he had been reading my posts). He said that the use of injuries is a very poor excuse for our current predicament, citing Fremantles injuries as far worse than ours and yet Fremantle are a team very much on the up.

Very, very hard to argue with Lloyd here.

icrow32

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just heard a snippet of an interview with Rob Chapman on Sen last Friday before the game.

He is convinced that we are on the right track. We have the right people in place, we will achieve our long term goals and that our current season is just a "blip" that we will overcome.

If this is truly the view of the AFC board then we had all better get used to the garbage that we are currently putting up with. The entire AFC hierachy appear to be beliveing there own internal BS and have become completely insular to the views of the rest of the football community.

WTF? Last year we finished 11th this year we are currently 14th and probably the worst side in the competition. I wont even bother going back to our finals capitulations of previous years. This is not a "blip" you bloody imbeciles.

Matthew Lloyd summed it up extremely well saying that he has seen the Crows get steamrolled too many times now after being in winning positions. He said that the Crows look great when they are allowed to play on their terms but seem to have zero felixibility once the opposition reacts to the Adelaide game plan. Neil Craig does not have any answers when the opposition team stops the run from Johncock (it was almost like he had been reading my posts). He said that the use of injuries is a very poor excuse for our current predicament, citing Fremantles injuries as far worse than ours and yet Fremantle are a team very much on the up.

Very, very hard to argue with Lloyd here.

Chapmans innorance is replicated by Trigg in todays paper, basically he has said all is good and the club is very happy with how Neil Craig has handled himself with the criticism over the last 2 years.

Neil Craig is a hypocrit also, he has asked for supporters to be patient and then throws a phone, looks like he is not handling himself too well after all.

TheTonic

Team Captain
Mar 7, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal FC
It's not just the injuries which are hurting us it's the profile of the list. Using Matty Lloyds Freo example we flogged em by a 100+ points when they scored 1 goal here only 2 seasons ago. If not for losing 2 players on the weekend we would most certainly have won the game.

Crow About It

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC
Chapmans innorance is replicated by Trigg in todays paper, basically he has said all is good and the club is very happy with how Neil Craig has handled himself with the criticism over the last 2 years.

Neil Craig is a hypocrit also, he has asked for supporters to be patient and then throws a phone, looks like he is not handling himself too well after all.

thats the best thing I've seen in ages from him. It's much better than the humdrum monotone garbage we've been getting from him in the past.

C'mon neil, FIRE UP. Showing a bit of emotion once in a while never hurt anyone.....

asdfasd

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's hard to judge whether the board are really that out of touch, or whether they are just spinning s**t for the media. They're hardly likely to come out and say that Craig is clueless, has no idea what he's doing, and that the entire coaching panel needs to be sacked.

Nov 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville-West Torrens FC
Well..i like to look at it this way. Neil has always made us a fierce competitive side. In the last two years we have been a shadow of our former self. Loss of experience? Hardly even with all our champs in our team last year, we made 14th. Not to mention we are failing in finals. Bad luck with injuries.. been a constant problem. Will this curse end? I think it is time to get fresh ideas in the fitness/strength/conditioning department that's for sure. Stephen S has been seen as a guru but its time for change.

Let you guys be the judge.

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
Don't most boards give their unwaivering support to coaches.... just before they sack them?
That they do.
However
Craig won't be sacked, he's staff remember? he'll just be replaced as senior coach by Malthouse (whose fire in the belly is still strong).

Crow About It

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC
Well..i like to look at it this way. Neil has always made us a fierce competitive side. In the last two years we have been a shadow of our former self. Loss of experience? Hardly even with all our champs in our team last year, we made 14th. Not to mention we are failing in finals. Bad luck with injuries.. been a constant problem. Will this curse end? I think it is time to get fresh ideas in the fitness/strength/conditioning department that's for sure. Stephen S has been seen as a guru but its time for change.

Let you guys be the judge.

The perfect oppurtunity for that to happen arose but we let him go to Brisbane....

(Having said that, I don't really know his credentials other than he been close to one of the fittest freaks to ever play the game...)

But what they could say is Craig will coach the year and that's it.

It would be foolish to back yourself into a corner without knowing all the variables - as Collingwood have done with the Malthouse/Buckley situation. They kind of banked on the fact the Malthouse would probably not succeed in 2 years so they could keep hold of Bucks who looked likely to go elsewhere. In actual fact the situation now means that they could very likely be asking a back to back premiership coach to stand aside for a young, untried coach. In hindsight, not the cleverest of moves.

Our Club doesn't know who will be available, or indeed who would consider applying for the job. They shouldn't say anything until they have a better understanding of the big picture. Let's say they tell us now he's gone at years end only to find that nobody of note wants to come and coach them. Do we put on someone like a Robert Shaw? Or Mark Bickley? and hope for the best? Or do we wait until we can negotiate to get the best possible option? Best to leave your options open I would think until you absolutely have to make the decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
The board thinks Craig is the man for the job. The current players think Craig is the man for the job. Most of our old players think Craig is the man for the job.

How could all these credible people be wrong? Surely us fans know what is best for the club! We have all the information we need from our TV's and going to the games. We know exactly what is going on behind closed doors. We know it all. Everyone has got it wrong, everyone!

:D

Crow About It

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC
The board thinks Craig is the man for the job. The current players think Craig is the man for the job. Most of our old players think Craig is the man for the job.

How could all these credible people be wrong? Surely us fans know what is best for the club! We have all the information we need from our TV's and going to the games. We know exactly what is going on behind closed doors. We know it all. Everyone has got it wrong, everyone!

:D

Of course the board and current players are going to say he's the man for the job becuase it's what everyone in that situation always says. Publically they support the current coach, behind closed doors is a different kettle of fish (as you point out in your post).
Even the ex-players suffer from this syndrome too, it's not the done thing to rubbish the current coach publically. Edwards has broken the mould here and good on him for that.....

L_Maximus

Senior List
Mar 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think it's great Neil showed a bit of fire and emotion in the coaching box. He's been criticised for being bland and emotionless, this is just a sign that he is genuinely pissed at letting the game slip.

Would you prefer he just smile and sit there quietly?

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Do you have personal contact with all of the current players and old players, or did you hear that on TV?
*shrug* you know my statement is said in a manner of sarcasm. Point being is one nut Edwards has been the first to go against the grain. Good on him for that, and I have no issue with it. However there have been articles from the likes of McLeod, Goody, Roo etc who have stated Craig is the man for the job. Is that all players? Who knows.

My point was more around the fact that we as fans seem to think we know more about the footy club, then the footy club does. I may not always agree with the club....and many of us fans feel Craig's time is up....however some of the comments, I believe, go too far. We are not that inept as a footy club.

It would be foolish to back yourself into a corner without knowing all the variables - as Collingwood have done with the Malthouse/Buckley situation. They kind of banked on the fact the Malthouse would probably not succeed in 2 years so they could keep hold of Bucks who looked likely to go elsewhere. In actual fact the situation now means that they could very likely be asking a back to back premiership coach to stand aside for a young, untried coach. In hindsight, not the cleverest of moves.

Our Club doesn't know who will be available, or indeed who would consider applying for the job. They shouldn't say anything until they have a better understanding of the big picture. Let's say they tell us now he's gone at years end only to find that nobody of note wants to come and coach them. Do we put on someone like a Robert Shaw? Or Mark Bickley? and hope for the best? Or do we wait until we can negotiate to get the best possible option? Best to leave your options open I would think until you absolutely have to make the decision.

So basically you just want the club to hesitate and refuse to make a decision?

Your suggestion ignores all proper process. You put together the list of candidates after you declare the position vacant and invite applications. Lets actually have a selection process this time that goes beyond appointing our favourite without giving any alternative due consideration.

I dont buy this 'what if noone applies' crap either. There are 17 AFL Coaching jobs in the world. If the board doesnt think that it can attract, or select a coach that is able to be successful, then they should resign immediately for being completely inept.

This is not at all comparable to buckley and malthouse. Slight difference in scale between a two year apprenticeship, and saying a coach wont be there next year at a point at which our season is effectively over.

I think it's great Neil showed a bit of fire and emotion in the coaching box. He's been criticised for being bland and emotionless, this is just a sign that he is genuinely pissed at letting the game slip.

Would you prefer he just smile and sit there quietly?

Personally, id prefer not continually losing like that.

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Personally, id prefer not continually losing like that.
It is a shame about the rest of the season, otherwise we probably would have all agreed that two key injuries does that to you.

Can we put Friday nights loss in the same category as the others? I honestly believe we would have won if Stiffy and Jaensh had not been injured....but who knows.

It is a shame about the rest of the season, otherwise we probably would have all agreed that two key injuries does that to you.

Can we put Friday nights loss in the same category as the others? I honestly believe we would have won if Stiffy and Jaensh had not been injured....but who knows.

Our habit of losing games like that stretches back a fair bit further than this year...

mulz

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
chelsea fc
the board need to make a decision within the next fortnight for mine, the team needs to use the last 4-5 weeks of the season very wisely, its needs direction of how we are going forward, i dont believe craig will step down (although i hope he will). the board will need to move craig on, put bickley as caretaker for last 4 games and leave no stone un turned when looking for a new coach.
I like neil but the brand is damaged too much now, attendances and memberships will fall further if he is still at the helm next season.
tyson edwards was complimentery of craigy the other day but said a breath of fresh air is needed and he needs to move on, if tyson is thinking this then you can be sure that quite a fair proportion of the playing group will be thinking this also.
you must act now afc, the time has come!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back