Competitions AFC Board Draft Game 2019/20 Main Competition Thread - Now with Poll!

Should the draft extend beyond 30 rounds?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hits, Misses, Gambles and Steals - Rounds 1 to 5

No surprises in the first round. A disappointingly strong showing from all drafters

Gamble: Charlie Cameron at 19 by ShadeyP
He's electric, capable of ripping games to shreds. His best is match winning but as we know can be a bit hot and cold.

Hit: Stephen Coniglio at 23 by Pilchard_Adams
Could be a Brownlow medallist if he can put a full season together (which admittedly he's only done twice in his career so far). 17 votes from 15 games last season.

Steal: Lance Franklin at 33 by Coopers
If he can get on top of his injury troubles he's still one of the best 3 forwards in the competition. Big if but worth the risk at 33.

Miss: Devon Smith at 37 by Pea Nut
Decent player but a bit early I reckon. Injury has heavily impacted 3 of his past 4 seasons too.

Miss: Dion Prestia at 38 by deaneus
Solid footballer but there were better mids available IMHO

Steal: Tim Taranto at 42 by Scorpus
The Vic mids like Cripps and <redacted> get all the media but this guy is fast on his way to elite status. I reckon he'll be a first round pick next year.

Hit: Nick Haynes at 45 by Crow_68
An AA lock at 45 is shrewd business.

Steal: Toby Greene at 48 by 1990crow
Had a frustrating 2019 but his norm is top 20 worthy

Gamble: Joe Daniher at 51 by Freddy Bassett
Who knows where he'll be at after injury and an aborted trade to Sydney. Will his kicking yips be cured? A fit, in form Daniher is unstoppable and will go down as the pick of the draft.

Gamble: Aaron Naughton at 52 by Freddy 'Kenny Rogers' Bassett
Young key forwards are unpredictable as I found out the hard way last season. Naughton looks a beauty but improvement is rarely a straight line. Will he boom, bust or plateau?

Steal: Hugh McCluggage at 53 by ShadeyP
See Taranto. A star on the rise.

Steal: Ben Cunnington at 61 by Scorpus
This guy knows the rules, the scoring system and has a spreadsheet. Inside info that pays dividends with picks like this.

Gamble: Nic Naitanui at 62 by Donkey Magoo
We know what he can do but has had a wretched run. Massive upside but you'd want a decent back up

Steal: Isaac Heeney at 66 by Pea Nut
This guy should be a top 10 player. Quick, tough, good skills, can win the ball inside, can push forward and can take a contested grab. For some reason though he hasn't scaled the heights his talent warrants. But it's only a matter of time.

Hits: Phil Davies and 67 by Coopers and Jake Lloyd at 68 by Danger In Texas
High quality likely AA squad members at the end of the 4th round. Safe as houses.

Disappointingly Round 5 was solid drafting all round. That's when you're hoping posters head off on their own tangents and needs impact the order a bit more than talent. Maybe next round.
Its a funny game because of the player ranking and BnF results, Dionne P is no where near the great but taking out a plag, BnF and top of his sides player ranking , he scores well for this.

Hits, Misses, Gambles and Steals - Rounds 1 to 5

No surprises in the first round. A disappointingly strong showing from all drafters

Gamble: Charlie Cameron at 19 by ShadeyP
He's electric, capable of ripping games to shreds. His best is match winning but as we know can be a bit hot and cold.

Hit: Stephen Coniglio at 23 by Pilchard_Adams
Could be a Brownlow medallist if he can put a full season together (which admittedly he's only done twice in his career so far). 17 votes from 15 games last season.

Steal: Lance Franklin at 33 by Coopers
If he can get on top of his injury troubles he's still one of the best 3 forwards in the competition. Big if but worth the risk at 33.

Miss: Devon Smith at 37 by Pea Nut
Decent player but a bit early I reckon. Injury has heavily impacted 3 of his past 4 seasons too.

Miss: Dion Prestia at 38 by deaneus
Solid footballer but there were better mids available IMHO

Steal: Tim Taranto at 42 by Scorpus
The Vic mids like Cripps and <redacted> get all the media but this guy is fast on his way to elite status. I reckon he'll be a first round pick next year.

Hit: Nick Haynes at 45 by Crow_68
An AA lock at 45 is shrewd business.

Steal: Toby Greene at 48 by 1990crow
Had a frustrating 2019 but his norm is top 20 worthy

Gamble: Joe Daniher at 51 by Freddy Bassett
Who knows where he'll be at after injury and an aborted trade to Sydney. Will his kicking yips be cured? A fit, in form Daniher is unstoppable and will go down as the pick of the draft.

Gamble: Aaron Naughton at 52 by Freddy 'Kenny Rogers' Bassett
Young key forwards are unpredictable as I found out the hard way last season. Naughton looks a beauty but improvement is rarely a straight line. Will he boom, bust or plateau?

Steal: Hugh McCluggage at 53 by ShadeyP
See Taranto. A star on the rise.

Steal: Ben Cunnington at 61 by Scorpus
This guy knows the rules, the scoring system and has a spreadsheet. Inside info that pays dividends with picks like this.

Gamble: Nic Naitanui at 62 by Donkey Magoo
We know what he can do but has had a wretched run. Massive upside but you'd want a decent back up

Steal: Isaac Heeney at 66 by Pea Nut
This guy should be a top 10 player. Quick, tough, good skills, can win the ball inside, can push forward and can take a contested grab. For some reason though he hasn't scaled the heights his talent warrants. But it's only a matter of time.

Hits: Phil Davies and 67 by Coopers and Jake Lloyd at 68 by Danger In Texas
High quality likely AA squad members at the end of the 4th round. Safe as houses.

Disappointingly Round 5 was solid drafting all round. That's when you're hoping posters head off on their own tangents and needs impact the order a bit more than talent. Maybe next round.
Great write up ... Charlie Cameron a bit of a gamble but will be : Top 7-8 Goal Kickers , Top 7-8 B&F , and AA squad at a Minimum + maybe some other stuff.

Its a funny game because of the player ranking and BnF results, Dionne P is no where near the great but taking out a plag, BnF and top of his sides player ranking , he scores well for this.
Yep, I should have prefaced my post by saying I don't know the scoring system, rules or which players historically score well

Yep, I should have prefaced my post by saying I don't know the scoring system, rules or which players historically score well
Nah, you did very good. I was just using it as a discussion point. Keep up the good work. you're easily one of my favorite mod's and I think that you've picked really well so far.

Nah, you did very good. I was just using it as a discussion point. Keep up the good work. you're easily one of my favorite mod's and I think that you've picked really well so far.
Carl: deaneus? Put a little smiley face by Donkey Magoo's name

deaneus: Already there, Sir.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this next pick will push on now he is out of the shadows of GWS’s star-studded midfield.

And with 2.28 hit outs per game last season, good to have a midfielder fill the second ruck role.

Pick 92 is Adam Tomlinson (Melbourne)

FAITH, over to you for a late night pick.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

A rule of thumb

If drafters do a bit of a spiel when they name their player (selling their merits) it's because they have some internal doubts about the selection and want to preemptively shout down any criticism.

"He's a gun in the making..."

Who are you trying to convince?

If the player was genuinely good you'd just plonk the name down there. The name says it all. Everyone knows. If they're actually good they don't need any reinforcements.

A rule of thumb

If drafters do a bit of a spiel when they name their player (selling their merits) it's because they have some internal doubts about the selection and want to preemptively shout down any criticism.

If the player was genuinely good you'd just plonk the name down there. The name says it all. Everyone knows. If they're actually good they don't need any reinforcements.
Geez that conVINCEd fella has a shed load of issues then .

I think this next pick will push on now he is out of the shadows of GWS’s star-studded midfield.

And with 2.28 hit outs per game last season, good to have a midfielder fill the second ruck role.

Pick 92 is Adam Tomlinson (Melbourne)

FAITH, over to you for a late night pick.

Really like that pick. Was keen on him myself.

Just an observation and I may be wrong . The players picked in round 5 aren’t that far off,even debatably better, than rounds 3 and 4 and even round 2.
I think that's right

There's a desperate push to plug up scarce key position resources early. Like a game of musical chairs some of us grab a seat anywhere we can to get through. There might be plusher, more luxurious models around but urgency wins out.

Once a couple of talls are banked the eye targets talent again.

A rule of thumb

I actually enjoy reading why others are going down a particular path, find it far more interesting than just a name.

Pick 93 Reilly O'Brien Crows

Cww68cmUQAAlH3H.jpeg
Look, I took Reilly because there aren't many quality Rucks left, and I think he has the potential to be top 5 in the afl next season.

I remember I took him late last season and said he would become the crows no1 ruck by mid season and got laughed at by Scorpo.
I got a feeling there will be a lot of rucks being taken in the next dozen picks.

Danger Zone with 94.

Pick 93 Reilly O'Brien Crows

View attachment 792443
Look, I took Reilly because there aren't many quality Rucks left, and I think he has the potential to be top 5 in the afl next season.

I remember I took him late last season and said he would become the crows no1 ruck by mid season and got laughed at by Scorpo.
I got a feeling there will be a lot of rucks being taken in the next dozen picks.

Danger Zone with 94.
That is not Ruckin Runny RAITH !

Back