Competitions AFC Board Draft Game 2019 Main Competition Thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

And the winner is...

🥳🥳🥳 Mr MysteryGuest 🥳🥳🥳

2nd Place: Danger Zone
3rd Place: Danger in Texas
4th Place: Scorpus
5th Place: AdelaideFan14

1570289706708.png

Excellent game this year, with 13 contestants scoring above 699 points, compared to 10 last year. The lowest score was higher, and there was just a few points separating positions in the mid-table.

Mr MysteryGuest won with the killer combination: awards and depth. He selected Brownlow Medalist Nat Fyfe, the equal-highest scoring player in the game. Then backed it up with 26 players scoring over 10 points, the third best depth in the competition (behind Drugs Are Bad Mackay? and Danger Zone)

Daniel1812 unfortunately fell short due to poor depth, just 21 players scoring above 10. And a lack of awards, with no All Australian team members.

roo2macca, Danger in Texas and Freddy Bassett were the only three contestants to have three players with scores above 50.

kulak incurred a positional penalty for not having a second key position forward. However, he would have only finished two spots higher had he not made that mistake. Some other players were cutting it very fine with second ruck roles and overall numbers of forwards.

The top 10 players in the draft:

1. Nat Fyfe (Mr MysteryGuest, pick 2)
1. Patrick Dangerfield (adelaidecrows, pick 1)
3. Lachie Neale (FAITH, pick 42)
4. Tim Kelly (AdelaideFan14, pick 116)
5. Marcus Bontempelli (kulak, pick 17)
6. Brodie Grundy (Hank93, pick 5)
7. Patrick Cripps (roo2macca, pick 7)
8. Jeremy Cameron (roo2macca, pick 28)
9. Dustin Martin (Drugs are Bad Mackay?, pick 4)
10. Jack Darling (1990crow, pick 58)

Steals of the draft:

- Bachar Houli, Kristof, 28th best player, pick 278
- James Worpel, FAITH, 40th best player, pick 314
- Jeremy Finlayson, Drugs are Bad Mackay?, 63rd best player, pick 378
- Ricky Henderson, Kristof, 65th best player, pick 335
- Rowan Marshall, AdelaideFan14, 83rd best player, pick 456

Best players not drafted:

- Darcy Macpherson (103rd best)
- Brent Daniels (156th best)
- Gryan Miers (163rd best)
- Sydney Stack (183rd best, although not available at the time we played the game)
- Cameron Zurhaar (207th best)

Worst picks:

- Tom Mitchell, deneaus, pick 3
- Alex Rance, AdelaideFan14, pick 21
- Joe Daniher, FAITH, pick 27
- Dayne Beams, Hank93, pick 39
- Lance Franklin, Scorpus, pick 12

1570292040928.png

Here's a depth chart for the top 5 players

AdelaideFan14 and MrMysteryGuest both had the best high end talent. Danger in Texas a mid range result. Danger Zone and Scorpus with the best depth.

MrMysteryGuest's better top players ended up beating Danger Zone's better depth. MMG's top 2 players were Nat Fyfe and Michael Walters, compared to Danger Zone with Dayne Zorko and Clayton Oliver

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
kulak incurred a positional penalty for not having a second key position forward. However, he would have only finished two spots higher had he not made that mistake. Some other players were cutting it very fine with second ruck roles and overall numbers of forwards.
Without having precedent to go by, was thinking De Goey may count as full forward because that’s where he plays for Collingwood and he kicked 34 goals in 17 games. But see where you are coming from.

Cheers for doing all the work and the awesome summary!

Sep 29, 2007
The Kop
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Socceroos-LFC-Crows-Adel.United
8-Josh Kelly GWS
27-Joe Daniher Ess
42-Lachie Neale Bris
61-Lachie Whitfield GWS
76-Josh Jenkins Adel
96-Sam Docherty Carl
110-Dion Prestia Rich
129-Tom Lynch Adel
144-Nathan Jones Melb
163-Jake Melksham Melb
178-Hugh Greenwood Adel
197-Christian Salem Melb
212- Trent Dumont (NM)
231- Jed Anderson (NM)
246- Heath Shaw (GWS)
265- Majak Daw (NM)
280- Heath Grundy (Syd)
299-Shane Mumford (GWS)
314-James Worpel (Hawks)
333-Jake Kelly (Crows)
348-Paul Puopolo (Hawks)
367-Aidan Corr (Gws)
382 R.Bonner (Port)
401 C.Mayne (Collingwood)
416 -Reilly O'Brien (Adel)
435- Ben King (GC)
450 - Lynden Dunn (Coll)
469 - Zak Butters (Port)
484 - Tyson Stengle (Crows)
503 - Luke Valente (Freo)

My top 15 picks didnt perform as expected, my bottom 15 did ok.

wasn't a good feel since dochorty and daw got injured with a few days of picking them :)

My team was decimated by poor selections

Peter Wright was a poor selection, but aside from that your team was pretty good. Greene and Charlie Curnow underperformed, and had a few depth players played slightly more games, you would have been right up at the top.

I think it was the first time ever that your selection of Brandon Matera paid off :p

Without having precedent to go by, was thinking De Goey may count as full forward because that’s where he plays for Collingwood and he kicked 34 goals in 17 games. But see where you are coming from.

Cheers for doing all the work and the awesome summary!

Yeah the positions are based on the AFL Player Ratings system classifications. Sometimes this is extremely lenient, such as I think one other person didn't get penalized because someone like Rhys Mathieson was classed as a "mid/forward"

Even if you had someone on the emergency list like Mitch Brown or Oscar Allen you would have been fine.

1570338873689.png

Where you suffered was from quality in that 5 to 15 range. Players like De Goey, Hooker, Wingard, J. Martin, McLean, Kreuzer were taken with top 150 picks but I'd say all underperformed. Pretty unlucky to not have some play more games and get a B&F top 10, even guys like L. Weller, amazing he didn't finish top 10 at Gold Coast.

And the winner is...

🥳🥳🥳 Mr MysteryGuest 🥳🥳🥳

2nd Place: Danger Zone
3rd Place: Danger in Texas
4th Place: Scorpus
5th Place: AdelaideFan14

View attachment 759390

Excellent game this year, with 13 contestants scoring above 699 points, compared to 10 last year. The lowest score was higher, and there was just a few points separating positions in the mid-table.

Mr MysteryGuest won with the killer combination: awards and depth. He selected Brownlow Medalist Nat Fyfe, the equal-highest scoring player in the game. Then backed it up with 26 players scoring over 10 points, the third best depth in the competition (behind Drugs Are Bad Mackay? and Danger Zone)

Daniel1812 unfortunately fell short due to poor depth, just 21 players scoring above 10. And a lack of awards, with no All Australian team members.

roo2macca, Danger in Texas and Freddy Bassett were the only three contestants to have three players with scores above 50.

The top 10 players in the draft:

1. Nat Fyfe (Mr MysteryGuest, pick 2)
1. Patrick Dangerfield (adelaidecrows, pick 1)
3. Lachie Neale (FAITH, pick 42)
4. Tim Kelly (AdelaideFan14, pick 116)
5. Marcus Bontempelli (kulak, pick 17)
6. Brodie Grundy (Hank93, pick 5)
7. Patrick Cripps (roo2macca, pick 7)
8. Jeremy Cameron (roo2macca, pick 28)
9. Dustin Martin (Drugs are Bad Mackay?, pick 4)
10. Jack Darling (1990crow, pick 58)

Steals of the draft:

- Bachar Houli, Kristof, 28th best player, pick 278
- James Worpel, FAITH, 40th best player, pick 314
- Jeremy Finlayson, Drugs are Bad Mackay?, 63rd best player, pick 378
- Ricky Henderson, Kristof, 65th best player, pick 335
- Rowan Marshall, AdelaideFan14, 83rd best player, pick 456

Best players not drafted:

- Darcy Macpherson (103rd best)
- Brent Daniels (156th best)
- Gryan Miers (163rd best)
- Sydney Stack (183rd best, although not available at the time we played the game)
- Cameron Zurhaar (207th best)

Worst picks:

- Tom Mitchell, deneaus, pick 3
- Alex Rance, AdelaideFan14, pick 21
- Joe Daniher, FAITH, pick 27
- Dayne Beams, Hank93, pick 39
- Lance Franklin, Scorpus, pick 12

Genuinely amazed, I just assumed that I had bombed and Fyfe was my only good pick.

Genuinely amazed, I just assumed that I had bombed and Fyfe was my only good pick.

Nah. 482/484 games played is a really good start. Fyfe and Walters AA team, Hopper Papley Maynard and Steele top 5 B&F, Fyfe Brownlow and AFLCA position... it all adds up.

Some of the teams I thought were really strong on paper like 1990crow just had no depth. 1990crow's bottom 9 players only played 29 games combined. Same with Freddy Bassett's bottom 7. Once you get a few injuries and those players become really important.

You might not have had as many stars as some teams, but your depth was really good and your top players stayed on the park. 15 players played over 20 games.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, i just looked at my team again and i see i lost Doedee to a knee as well, and i still came mid-table

My team is rubbish, WTF

Top 5 for B&F score in the competition (13 players finished in the top 10 at their clubs) boosted your score massively. And Tom Hawkins was one of the best players to have, given his AA and Coleman finish

Don't ask me how Levi Casboult, Jasper Pittard, Luke Dunstan and Pearce Hanley finished top 10 at their clubs, but they did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back