Melbourne: 27
North Melbourne: 32
Port Adelaide: 29
Richmond: 33
St Kilda: 28
Sydney: 32
West Coast: 32
Western Bulldogs: 32

Some interesting numbers here. Unsurprisingly, we have the most drafted but, going through the list, what stuck out was how early some of our kids went. Brayden Cook going in the 18th round and Rachele in the 17th for example, they were picked to go in the starting line-up. That's insanely early, especially Cook. I am bullish about them but rookies are best picked from the 19th round onwards, it's too risky to have them in the starting line-up. Then there's Melbourne with the least. I wonder how much that can be contributed to them being the reigning premiers and the mindset that their fringe players may not get much of a look-in. However, you look at their undrafted players and think how would be really worth drafting. You can probably make a case for Melksham but no one else stands out.

Last edited:

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
Re Melbourne:
They had 10 guys who played every game, plus another 8 who played 20+ games. 22 played 15+. 2 of the guys outside of that group retired. They brought one guy in who wasn't getting a game on a non-Finals team.
Melksham probably should have been drafted, but other than him, the next highest games played was Kade Chandler who played 5 games (4 as an unused sub). They just had an absurdly good run with injury and have minimal exposed form from any of their depth.

FWIW, as I don't have anything constructive to do, I'll also do a Drugs Are Bad Mackay? and look at the good value picks and the ones who went a little bit too early (or very early for some). I've omitted my own selections.

Good Value:
#6 Clayton Oliver - 2nd best behind the Bont
#15 Jack Macrae - AA and best finals player, just an absolute gun
#31 Touk Miller - Basically does what Ablett did in 2012-14, just carries them week in, week out. To grab an AA and B&F winner at this point is great value. If his team can win a few more games, he could very well win a Brownlow
#44 Sean Darcy - He could easily become the #1 ruck in the comp next year
#62 Darcy Moore - AA defender if he can stay on the park
#74 Luke Jackson - Will continue to get better and better
#75 Nat Fyfe - Can he stay fit?
#84 Cam Guthrie - Honestly, probably Geelong's best mid these days
#99 Toby Greene - Will miss the first 5 games, but he's just too damn good
#106 Caleb Daniel - Smart pick, ultra consistent player
#123 Karl Amon - Has become one of the premier wingers of the comp
#125 Oscar Allen - This guy is set to EXPLODE this year
#159 David Mundy - Age is the only reason he lasted as long as he did
#190 Brandon Starcevich - Very underrated player
#216 Will Day - Gun, hopefully he stays fit
#310 George Hewett - Will do well at the Blues which will make him one of the very few Blues recruits to actually succeed
#316 Jack Redden - 4th in B&F. With issues around Shuey's fitness, he'll continue to get solid midfield time
#404 Ben Cunnington - Love him as a player and seems like a top bloke too. Fingers crossed he can recover well and get back
#442 Luke Dunstan - Melbourne surely won't have another golden run with injury. Will be a good depth player for them
#466 Josh Corbett - Wanted him
#502 Adam Tomlinson - Was playing great footy before his ACL. If he plays sooner rather than later, this will be a bargain and a half
#516 Charlie Lazzaro - Most North fans have him in their starting 18. That's some valuable points here
#525 Rhyan Mansell - Another one I wanted
#538 Tom Cutler - Good value here. Not a star but a solid Mr. Fix-It type player
#543 Chris Burgess - As above
#547 Ryan Lester - Again, as above
#554 Alec Waterman - 17 goals in 14 games. Decent return
#568 Brandon Walker - Fitted in well in their backline

Too Early:
#8 Patrick Cripps - This would have been a great pick in 2018, but he hasn't replicated that in the last two seasons. I just think with Wines and Macrae available, he was a little bit too early. Maybe this one is a tad harsh
#52 Charlie Curnow - Way too early to be taking the gamble. I can see why given how quickly KPFs get snapped up, but there were safer options available such as Dixon, Larkey and Riewoldt even if he's nearing the end
#83 Steele Sidebottom - Cooked, was a liability most of the time when he played this year
#91 Peter Ladhams - Won't be number one ruck at the Swans
#120 Scott Pendlebury - Only because he's had an injury setback which, at his age, isn't ideal
#133 Darcy Byrne-Jones - Port's coaches seem to rate him, but there were much better available players here
#148 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - He's still a couple of years away from really cementing himself
#165 Jason Horne-Francis - We all wanted him at the club, but round 10 is a bit too early for someone who is yet to debut, I tend to rate until round 19 to pick new draftees. As I said re: Cook and Rachele, it's too risky to have them in your starting 18
#290 Cooper Sharman - He's made a promising enough start but he's played 5 games
#292 Brodie Kemp - Only played 2 games last year. He could be good but there were safer, more established players still available here
#299 Josh Bruce - Will miss most of 2022

#305 Josh Rachele - Probably could've waited another 2-3 rounds
#314 Brayden Cook - I'm bullish about him but he's not even in our best 22 yet. Went at least 5 rounds too early

Given the amount of players I thought were good value vs those taken too early, this really was an elite year of drafting. A few blips, as always, including from me, but well done all!

Last edited:

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
FWIW, as I don't have anything constructive to do, I'll also do a Drugs Are Bad Mackay? and look at the good value picks and the ones who went a little bit too early (or very early for some). I've omitted my own selections.

Good Value:
#31 Touk Miller - Basically does what Ablett did in 2012-14, just carries them week in, week out. To grab an AA and B&F winner at this point is great value. If his team can win a few more games, he could very well win a Brownlow
#310 George Hewett - Will do well at the Blues which will make him one of the very few Blues recruits to actually succeed
#316 Jack Redden - 4th in B&F. With issues around Shuey's fitness, he'll continue to get solid midfield time
#404 Ben Cunnington - Love him as a player and seems like a top bloke too. Fingers crossed he can recover well and get back
#442 Luke Dunstan - Melbourne surely won't have another golden run with injury. Will be a good depth player for them
#502 Adam Tomlinson - Was playing great footy before his ACL. If he plays sooner rather than later, this will be a bargain and a half
#516 Charlie Lazzaro - Most North fans have him in their starting 18. That's some valuable points here
#538 Tom Cutler - Good value here. Not a star but a solid Mr. Fix-It type player

Too Early:
#8 Patrick Cripps - This would have been a great pick in 2018, but he hasn't replicated that in the last two seasons. I just think with Wines and Macrae available, he was a little bit too early. Maybe this one is a tad harsh
#52 Charlie Curnow - Way too early to be taking the gamble. I can see why given how quickly KPFs get snapped up, but there were safer options available such as Dixon, Larkey and Riewoldt even if he's nearing the end
#83 Steele Sidebottom - Cooked, was a liability most of the time when he played this year
#120 Scott Pendlebury - Only because he's had an injury setback which, at his age, isn't ideal
#133 Darcy Byrne-Jones - Port's coaches seem to rate him, but there were much better available players here
#165 Jason Horne-Francis - We all wanted him at the club, but round 10 is a bit too early for someone who is yet to debut, I tend to rate until round 19 to pick new draftees. As I said re: Cook and Rachele, it's too risky to have them in your starting 18
#290 Cooper Sharman - He's made a promising enough start but he's played 5 games
#292 Brodie Kemp - Only played 2 games last year. He could be good but there were safer, more established players still available here

#314 Brayden Cook - I'm bullish about him but he's not even in our best 22 yet. Went at least 5 rounds too early

Given the amount of players I thought were good value vs those taken too early, this really was an elite year of drafting. A few blips, as always, including from me, but well done all!
Interestingly, I have hardly any early OR late picks in that list. I guess my picks mostly just went roughly where they should have?

Last edited:
May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Interestingly, I had hardly any early OR late picks in that list. I guess mine mostly just went roughly where they should have?
He's got you on ignore

Okay we had 40 player nominations for the random draw. And the results are in, I Lost My Keays is receiving:

Ben Long (St Kilda)
Lachie Murphy (Adelaide)
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (St Kilda)

Including the raffle nominations, we decided that Rory Atkins wasn't even good enough to make the top 600 players in the AFL (roughly)

Last edited:

WeeBlake

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK swapping Roberts for Goater

FINAL Final Team

We Of Little Faith FC

B- LAsh SCollins LBaker
HB- JCrisp JRoughead JNoble
C- MO’Connor ZMerrett WDrew
HF- CRayner MGeorgiades RGray
F- CCameron JRiewoldt ZFisher

R- PLadhams BParfitt HSchoenberg

INT- JPKennedy KMcIntosh THighmore RCollier-Dawkins

EMG- EFord FCallaghan AScott JHunt PSpicer DFort SSimpson TSonsie SDarcy MRoberts

Number of players picked by club:

Adelaide: 37
Brisbane: 30
Carlton: 33
Collingwood: 31
Essendon: 33
Fremantle: 34
Geelong: 32
Gold Coast: 33
GWS: 32
Hawthorn: 33
Melbourne: 27
North Melbourne: 32
Port Adelaide: 29
Richmond: 33
St Kilda: 28
Sydney: 32
West Coast: 32
Western Bulldogs: 32

Some interesting numbers here. Unsurprisingly, we have the most drafted but, going through the list, what stuck out was how early some of our kids went. Brayden Cook going in the 18th round and Rachele in the 17th for example, they were picked to go in the starting line-up. That's insanely early, especially Cook. I am bullish about them but rookies are best picked from the 19th round onwards, it's too risky to have them in the starting line-up. Then there's Melbourne with the least. I wonder how much that can be contributed to them being the reigning premiers and the mindset that their fringe players may not get much of a look-in. However, you look at their undrafted players and think how would be really worth drafting. You can probably make a case for Melksham but no one else stands out.

It's certainly a high risk move, but I stand by my call. Rachele probably has the best shot of any 2021 draftee of winning the rising star due to how he has practically no competition for his position at Adelaide (and he seems very highly rated, at least initially).

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

Good Value:

Too Early:

Two ticks, two crosses..... broke even.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
OK here is my final team!!

Daniel Radcliffe's Delicious Assholes

FB: Brandon Starcevich, Marcus Adams, Luke Brown
HB: Changkuoth Jiath, Jeremy McGovern, Nick Hind
C: Josh Daicos, Matt Crouch, Adam Cerra
HF: Toby Greene, Maboir Chol, Brent Daniels
FF: Gyran Miers, Joe Daniher, Jesse Hogan
RUCK: Brayden Preuss, Jy Simpkin, Tim Taranto

INT: Luke Dahlhaus, Kade Kolodjashnij, Mitch McGovern, Luke Dunstan

EMERG: Lachie Plowman, Tyson Stengle, Marc Pittonet, Quinton Narkle, Jy Farrar, Matt Owies, Jake Riccardi, Jackson Hately, Joel Amarty, James Bell.

I feel like I have a good mix of proven reliable players like Jeremy McGovern, Tim Taranto, Jy Simpkin, Luke Brown. Taken risk with a couple - Toby Greene, Mitch McGovern, Marcus Adams, Brayden Preuss, Stengle. Have a good mix of youth and potential break out players who can make the next step, which is where I feel big points can be made. Jiath, Starcevich, Hind, Daicos, Cerra, Chol, Hogan, Narkle, Farrar.

One letdown was probably taking Plowman too early, he went from first 18 to bench to emergency list as I found other players. But without Jones who knows...

Pretty happy overall

hendo8888

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide 36ers
Did you mean to draft Kade Kolodjashnij? Or is that Jake?

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
1990crow's good and bad picks 2021 - Rounds 1 to 10.

GOOD
Pick 6. Clayton Oliver Drugs Are Bad Mackay? - Should have gone in top 3.
Pick 30. Patrick Dangerfield Scorpus - who would have thought this guy would go here. Should have still gone top 20.
Pick 31. Touk Miller Drugs Are Bad Mackay? - loved this pick. Could win the browlow next year. Top 20 probably about right.
Pick 61. Tom Stewart Donkey Magoo - lock in for best and fairest and AA. End of season likely goes top 30.
Pick 100. Andrew McGrath Mego Red should be close to AA this year.
Pick 106. Caleb Daniel hendo8888 could be AA and be worth a top 50 pick.
Pick 167. Matt Taberner Danger in Texas likely to be freo's best forward and high in Best and fairest. Should have gone 30 picks or so earlier

BAD
Pick 7. Tom Hawkins Scorpus - Too early even for KPF. Harry Mckay at 9 would have been a better choice. Will have output eaten up by Cameron.
Pick 10. Joe Daniher Pilchard_Adams - Yes KPF go earlier.. but Daniher at 10? Way too early.
Pick 35. Callum Mills Jcpdragonx - Too early. Heaps of better players around this pick.
Pick 53. Caleb Serond Golumless - good player, but pick 53? About 50 picks too early.
Pick 91. Peter Ladhams WeeBlake understand the concept of getting a ruck, but this guy doesnt deserve to be top 100.
Pick 146. Aaron Hall Jcpdragonx - better half backs available.
Pick 148. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan Crow_68 no guarantee to even get a game. Pick 148 is far too early.
Pick 165. Jason Horne-Francis Geoffa32 round 10 without playing a game? Rookies never worthy of this high.

GOOD
Pick 30. Patrick Dangerfield Scorpus - who would have thought this guy would go here. Should have still gone top 20.
Pick 31. Touk Miller Drugs Are Bad Mackay? - loved this pick. Could win the browlow next year. Top 20 probably about right.
Pick 61. Tom Stewart Donkey Magoo - lock in for best and fairest and AA. End of season likely goes top 30.
Pick 167. Matt Taberner Danger in Texas likely to be freo's best forward and high in Best and fairest. Should have gone 30 picks or so earlier

BAD
Pick 7. Tom Hawkins Scorpus - Too early even for KPF. Harry Mckay at 9 would have been a better choice. Will have output eaten up by Cameron.
Pick 10. Joe Daniher Pilchard_Adams - Yes KPF go earlier.. but Daniher at 10? Way too early.
Pick 35. Callum Mills Jcpdragonx - Too early. Heaps of better players around this pick.
Pick 53. Caleb Serond Golumless - good player, but pick 53? About 50 picks too early.
Pick 91. Peter Ladhams WeeBlake understand the concept of getting a ruck, but this guy doesnt deserve to be top 100.
Pick 148. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan Crow_68 no guarantee to even get a game. Pick 148 is far too early.
Pick 165. Jason Horne-Francis Geoffa32 round 10 without playing a game? Rookies never worthy of this high.
I overlooked JUH when going through the list, I'll add him to my too early pile as well.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Interesting to see the criticisms of drafting young players/rookies early.

I tend to look at point earning potential when making these decisions. JHF for example:

- is he best 22 and a chance to play every game if fit? Yes
- if he plays 22 games, is he a chance to make the Best 22 under 22? Definitely
- if he plays 22 games, is he a chance to make NM's B & F top 10? Maybe

The decision then becomes whether JHF is likely to earn more points than an older player who isn't playing for a flag contender and unlikely to be in the top 10 players at his club?

I think it's a calculated risk but one worth taking for the better players aged under 22.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs

GOOD

BAD

Mills at 35 to me was best mid available, 18 brownlow votes off 18 games.

Hall was best HB available. 30+ disp a game and equal 3rd in the BnF in 19 games.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Yeah I liked the Mills pick, think he’s a decent chance to push for top 5 Brownlow. Wasn’t far behind Parish for my second pick

Back