Game Day AFC DRAFT DAY THREAD

How many additional 2021 picks will we end up with from draft day trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mutineer, what sort of player do you see Pedlar like should he stay injury free and develop as we hope
Luke Parker, tough inside mid that can get forward and have scoreboard impact.

How has he been tracking? I know after picking RT this type becomes much less of a need but how do you view his potential.

His brother is has been studying in Adelaide the last couple years and seems very settled. I would have no doubt Josh would be open to the idea of being drafted to Adelaide.

Last edited:
Depends. Does he have his spot written in stone. As in Campo mentality, you try telling him he’s not playing.

Because otherwise, he isn’t a dead certainty imo. I’m hoping that we have at least 4 or 5 young players that will push past Matt in the next few seasons. If he is still a first string midfielder by the end of 2022 then our rebuild has failed imo.

If Matt maintains his back end of 2020 form, then there is no chance any of our developing mids will come close to overtaking him by the end of 2022 (noting Hately walks into our lineup). Matts best is an AA calibre midfielder, nor is our rebuild dependent on replacing Matt.

Regresses back to early 2020 form for long enough and it'll happen.

Of all our experienced players, Matt is probably the only two you could rubber stamp will be in our best 22 in 2023-24 if he chooses to hang around, and nothing goes drastically wrong with his production. After all our midfield is built around a functioning Matt for the forseeable future seeing Sloane is winding down. The goal will be finding/unearthing someone who can dethrone him from that number 1 spot in the next couple of years, because whilst Matt is a fine Robin, he's no Batman.

One Pedlar, Scho, Berry or whatever combo gets up to 40-50 games and 3ish preseason, then even an in form Matt is in danger.

Last edited:
I’m hoping that we have at least 4 or 5 young players that will push past Matt in the next few seasons.
That would be a great result, yes.
If he is still a first string midfielder by the end of 2022 then our rebuild has failed imo.
I think that's a bit strong. Matt will be 27 in April 2022.

When does he come out of contract again?

Maybe we can pull the same trick we did with Hately. Finish bottom, offer Rankine big $$ as Gold Coast will start having salary cap pressures at some point with thier talent there.
2022. Same as Lukosius.

It’d be great for us, but it wouldn’t go down well, lol.

I'm not saying we would have done it, BUT ...

If you exceed the salary cap, your fine is 37.5% of the excess.

If the Gibbs payout put us $100k over, then we'd get a rookie pick for the princely sum of $37k.

Now, it may have put us more over, and we may also decide that a rookie pick isn't worth the fine.

But it is an interesting question about when you WOULD deliberately go over the cap ...

Surely there is more of a punishment than this.

Otherwise, some multimillionaire footy supporter would just say to his team, you guys offer the best player in the league a million bucks a year and I'll pay the fine.

Agreed. If all our midfielders come on and eclipse Matt in the next two seasons, we'll be over the moon. Realistically, it's unlikely to happen. If he still wants to be here by then, he most likely will be. He's a very good player.

If Matt maintains his back end of 2020 form, then there is no chance any of our developing mids will come close to overtaking him by the end of 2022 (noting Hately walks into our lineup). Matts best is an AA calibre midfielder, nor is our rebuild dependent on replacing Matt.

Regresses back to early 2020 form for long enough and it'll happen.

Of all our experienced players, Matt is probably the only two you could rubber stamp will be in our best 22 in 2023-24 if he chooses to hang around, and nothing goes drastically wrong with his production. After all our midfield is built around a functioning Matt for the forseeable future seeing Sloane is winding down. The goal will be finding/unearthing someone who can dethrone him from that number 1 spot in the next couple of years, because whilst Matt is a fine Robin, he's no Batman.

One Pedlar, Scho, Berry or whatever combo gets up to 40-50 games and 3ish preseason, then even an in form Matt is in danger.

Fair. I’m actually thinking that Hately has to go past him in the next 2 years, or he is pretty much a bust. In the sense that, he will never live up to that pre-draft super draft hype.

And if we are playing both Hately AND Matt by the end of 2022 then we will be super slow and our game plan will not have changed enough for my liking. I feel next season we can play both, but by the end of the next 2... we should have either shat or got off the pot.

I’d also expect Shoey/Jones/McHenry and possibly even Pedlar/Berry/Cook to pretty much show us whether or not they are busts by then as well. Not to mention speculatives like O’Connor.

Two seasons from now is actually a long time, because we are already 1-2 years into having a look at a lot of these mids.

The difference is that we'll have a chance to have a look at them before we select them, allowing us to make an informed decision on which player to select. Currently, we have very little current information on most of the Victorian players, because they simply didn't play any football this year. That made them a high risk prospect in the RD.

We have the opportunity to have them train with us, allowing us to select them in the pre-season supplementary period. Alternatively, we can wait to see how they perform in 2021, selecting them in the mid-season draft. Either way, we'll have a lot more current information to go on, significantly reducing the risk of picking a dud.

I think it's highly unlikely that the player we select will be from SA. We've seen what they had to offer, and the eyes have been picked out of the 2020 SA draft class, with nobody worth drafting left on the board. Victoria is where it's at.
I agree and your point is valid. But whoever we picked has still been rejected 70+ times as you stated in the post earlier

2022. Same as Lukosius.

It’d be great for us, but it wouldn’t go down well, lol.
Tough t***ies! Thems the breaks! He is SA lad, fills a clear need on the list and we will have bucketload of $$$ coming off the books so we can make him a monster offer and if we happen to finish close to the bottom (not sure that we will be bottom by then) use that as a threat to get the deal that you want and if they don't like it, we get him via PSD.

We have been smashed by other clubs when it comes to them raiding us for our talent, its about time we grew a pair and did the same to the rest of the competition. That's why I love what we did with Hately. Pick 40 or GTFO.

Might be strong. But we finished bottom. I want us to be a very different team by the end of 2022. To me the rebuild required pretty much gutting most of the team. Matt is in the age bracket that is “keep”, so your comment is fair. But for mine he is slow and not damaging. His position in our team is where we need to have absolute rolls royce A-graders. Matt is not one of them. I honestly can’t see us being able to play Hately and Matt in a “good” version of the crows. Too slow. Hopefully in 2 years Hately becomes a damaging big bodied mid. He then becomes the one slow guy we can afford. I’m not really talking about Matt as a second string rotation here, but sure... he could be that... but general point is ... I think we need to have improved enough to outgrow Matt in 2 years. I feel like that pace of development is par for the course of this rebuild.

personally I hope he has a great year in 2021 and we let him go as a FA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough t***ies! Thems the breaks! He is SA lad, fills a clear need on the list and we will have bucketload of $$$ coming off the books so we can make him a monster offer and if we happen to finish close to the bottom (not sure that we will be bottom by then) use that as a threat to get the deal that you want and if they don't like it, we get him via PSD.

We have been smashed by other clubs when it comes to them raiding us for our talent, its about time we grew a pair and did the same to the rest of the competition. That's why I love what we did with Hately. Pick 40 or GTFO.
I like the way you think, especially when the PSD is involved. The AFL is going to keep doing what it likes to us (Crouch compo as one example), so we should be maximising our ability to use the system to our advantage at every opportunity to balance it out, more so while we are near the bottom and it's a bigger advantage - or we will never be successful.

If that impacts the expansion clubs negatively, then they've been given enough concessions to survive, and the AFL will just give them more to make up for it.

What will the cost be for Rankine, though? Will we have the currency?

That's the easy part. Even the competition's best players get traded to the club of their choice once they've stated that desire (Dangerfield, Judd, Cameron). All we need to do is convince Rankine to choose us and we'll get him. That's the less easy bit.

Might be strong. But we finished bottom. I want us to be a very different team by the end of 2022. To me the rebuild required pretty much gutting most of the team. Matt is in the age bracket that is “keep”, so your comment is fair. But for mine he is slow and not damaging. His position in our team is where we need to have absolute rolls royce A-graders. Matt is not one of them. I honestly can’t see us being able to play Hately and Matt in a “good” version of the crows. Too slow. Hopefully in 2 years Hately becomes a damaging big bodied mid. He then becomes the one slow guy we can afford. I’m not really talking about Matt as a second string rotation here, but sure... he could be that... but general point is ... I think we need to have improved enough to outgrow Matt in 2 years. I feel like that pace of development is par for the course of this rebuild.

personally I hope he has a great year in 2021 and we let him go as a FA.
I see where you're coming from, and I won't argue strongly against it, although I have a different view of Matt's value going forward (assuming of course that he maintains his current form). Looking at some of our mids and their ages in 2022:

Matt = 27
Laird = 29 (in December 2022)
- probably those two are the seniors we'd be looking to supplant? With...

Schoenberg = 21
Scholl = 22
Hately = 22
Jones = 22 (in Jan)
- and of course the 2020 draftees, all younger.

That says to me that if Matt (2019-2020 version, assuming) can't crack the starting mid rotations by the end of 2022, because enough of those players aged 22 and younger have surpassed him, we will be in an outstanding position, and conversely, it won't be the end of the world if he's still got a role alongside the youngsters.

If only you could win a flag off a nice CV. He is a good player, but he’s not a great player. We need to add speed. We can afford to sacrifice some speed to win the ball, so a player like Matt has a place. But we have now recruited a number of players for that role. By my reckoning, there isn’t space in our team for all of them (without becoming too slow).

Hopefully we have recruited enough players that are all better and more damaging that Matt. Otherwise, we aren’t competing for a flag anytime soon.
So, all of the players we've recruited are going to be All Australians and B&F winners?

Bloody good drafting by Hamish.

I know we like to sling s**t at Matt, but he is a weapon. You absolutely win flags with players like Matt.

I mean, ffs - the cherry picked him and Doedee to go be the first players to meet Thilthorpe. That should tell you something.

Fair. I’m actually thinking that Hately has to go past him in the next 2 years, or he is pretty much a bust. In the sense that, he will never live up to that pre-draft super draft hype.

And if we are playing both Hately AND Matt by the end of 2022 then we will be super slow and our game plan will not have changed enough for my liking. I feel next season we can play both, but by the end of the next 2... we should have either shat or got off the pot.

I’d also expect Shoey/Jones/McHenry and possibly even Pedlar/Berry/Cook to pretty much show us whether or not they are busts by then as well. Not to mention speculatives like O’Connor.

Two seasons from now is actually a long time, because we are already 1-2 years into having a look at a lot of these mids.

Hately has a clear run, but again, there is certainly a reality where Hately is very valuable, but not past Matt Crouch. Hately was always seen as a very safe choice to get 200+ high quality inside midfield games but lacked a tool to push him into the truly elite. Still, seeing Hately can swing forward, they can also both co-exist in the midfield, even with a lack of pace as long as they're putting the yards in. It's not a Thommo/Crouch situation where you've got two very slow players who can only play in the midfield, at least one can be moved elsewhere if we're in need of a different look during a game. In terms of game plan, the key is pressure. If both are putting the yards in, we'll be fine.

Two years is a long time in football, however, the game is working out who are the next-gen core, and building around them. Despite the 1-2 years, we probably only have Schoenberg as someone we can list for that. Still, he'll also get more midfield time if he doesn't go backwards seeing Sloane should be phased out of being a midfielder this year, so should be well placed to overtake Matt in 2023 as the man seeing he does have a bit of class about him.

2 years for Pedlar/Berry/Cook is probably not enough time to see if they're a bust unless they're truly horrible and nowhere near the AFL side by then. We would probably be approaching the make or break point for that first set around 2024.

Surely there is more of a punishment than this.

Otherwise, some multimillionaire footy supporter would just say to his team, you guys offer the best player in the league a million bucks a year and I'll pay the fine.
That's what's said in the rules?

I'm sure they could do a "bringing the game into disrepute" style punishment, if they wanted to up it. But all of the recent fines have been small. Geelong went over the cap eight years in a row, and we're only fined $40,000 total.

That's what's said in the rules?

I'm sure they could do a "bringing the game into disrepute" style punishment, if they wanted to up it. But all of the recent fines have been small. Geelong went over the cap eight years in a row, and we're only fined $40,000 total.
Yes... but the person handing out that penalty was the person who was responsible for them going over the cap 8 years in a row, in the first place. That penalty is not exactly representative of what any other club could expect, given the severe conflict of interest involved.

This is the Matt Crouch who is wanting to extend his contract, and has been making trips to be the person player to meet our number one pick?

I think Laird, if his currency is high, is the only one we'd consider.

Fair call, could be Laird . But as you say his currency may not be high enough, from my point of view to absolutely, positively nail this rebuild we need another early first rounder next year. Until extensions are signed anyone with currency of that caliber is vulnerable and the way we drafted it points to being an inside mid.

Yes... but the person handing out that penalty was the person who was responsible for them going over the cap 8 years in a row, in the first place. That penalty is not exactly representative of what any other club could expect, given the severe conflict of interest involved.
WTF?? This is some crazy stuff :mad:

WTF?? This is some crazy stuff :mad:
Nobody has ever accused the AFL of showing integrity.

Stephen Hocking is the person who is guilty of failing to step aside, adjudicating Geelong's penalty, despite an obvious and staggeringly massive conflict of interest.

Ideally we have a full year of footy next year and Horne drops down a few places in the pecking order.

Mind you a SA kid at Pick 1 would be ok, if potentially there are a group of several elite Vic kids in 2022 that are in the top 5. It would help us a lot to be able to convince the Roos and Dons to give up their 2021 1st for our 2021 1st and 2022 1st.

They too would be well aware of the perils of trying to hold an interstate kid compared to a Victorian kid.

Maybe Horne could pull a Chalmers Buckley Williams Perkins next year.

Thoughts and opinions change.

I mean this time, last year, we were all be none the wiser in terms of what this virus would do to the world and the effect it would have on the landscape.

If we can create a positive environment at the AFC both on and off the field and show an upward trajectory, at the right price, Rankine may leave.

Our cleanout needs multiple phases, I think Phase One, has been successful. We are on the right path. Just remember where this Club was at 14-16 months ago compared to today.
I can see Rankine at the crows , we need to back ourselves in and have a crack but not until 2022 trade period

Back