Game Day AFC DRAFT DAY THREAD

How many additional 2021 picks will we end up with from draft day trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody has ever accused the AFL of showing integrity.

Stephen Hocking is the person who is guilty of failing to step aside, adjudicating Geelong's penalty, despite an obvious and staggeringly massive conflict of interest.

The list just grows with VFL House. They're totally corrupt.

Last edited:
I can see Rankine at the crows , we need to back ourselves in and have a crack but not until 2022 trade period
I would like to think our recruiting has been good enough to not require us to go after them and pay massive overs to get Luko or Rankine back. They didn't have to sign extensions when they did. We could have got them in the PSD if they hadn't.

I would like to think our recruiting has been good enough to not require us to go after them and pay massive overs to get Luko or Rankine back. They didn't have to sign extensions when they did. We could have got them in the PSD if they hadn't.
There's only so many Isaak Rankine's in this world!

Nobody has ever accused the AFL of showing integrity.

Stephen Hocking is the person who is guilty of failing to step aside, adjudicating Geelong's penalty, despite an obvious and staggeringly massive conflict of interest.
Ken Wood and Andrew Dillon adjudicated the penalty fron memory, and it was around an accounting miscalculation on how to apply GST to management invoices. It's wasn't THAT big a deal ultimately.

Ken Wood and Andrew Dillon adjudicated the penalty fron memory, and it was around an accounting miscalculation on how to apply GST to management invoices. It's wasn't THAT big a deal ultimately.

What you mean Willis? 8 years straight of rorting the cap is not a big deal? During that period they were a very successful team thanks to crap like that. We make 1 blunder and get the book thrown at us. Then a crappy Melbourne tanks and one of our coaches gets banned. Unbelievable thinking by you.

What you mean Willis? 8 years straight of rorting the cap is not a big deal? During that period they were a very successful team thanks to crap like that. We make 1 blunder and get the book thrown at us. Then a crappy Melbourne tanks and one of our coaches gets banned. Unbelievable thinking by you.
Sorry - did you not read what I wrote?

They were still under the TPP. There were no additional payments to players. There was an accounting issue around when GST should be applied to management fees. It wasn't done to rort the cap.

Always room for good players especially locals

ps there is no way will recruit enough good players to ignore the FA and trading period to get some more

There's only so many Isaak Rankine's in this world!

I will no doubt attract many jeers here, but, after two years, I question the wisdom of paying a fortune to get Rankine back here. He had injuries, then a spectacular start, but since then he has looked a pretty lazy player to me. Having also watched Luko, he seems the better, more consistent value-for-money option to go after. Of course, it's all pie in the sky, since either of them would have to be keen to come back.

I will no doubt attract many jeers here, but, after two years, I question the wisdom of paying a fortune to get Rankine back here. He had injuries, then a spectacular start, but since then he has looked a pretty lazy player to me. Having also watched Luko, he seems the better, more consistent value-for-money option to go after. Of course, it's all pie in the sky, since either of them would have to be keen to come back.
That’s the excitement of Rankine , he’s got alot of improvement in him and some bad habits to iron out

he just turned up to pre season and ran 3rd in time trial and beat some very fit players who have been in the system longer

Sorry - did you not read what I wrote?

They were still under the TPP. There were no additional payments to players. There was an accounting issue around when GST should be applied to management fees. It wasn't done to rort the cap.

It doesn't matter. We were under the cap as well. They freakin cheated too under the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately you can only get graded on what you get/do.

What made Adelaide's grade a positive one is the very strong value gets of Cook and Berry in particular. Cook's rate of development is through the roof and Berry is one of the readiest midfielders in the pool.

Thilthorpe, he wouldn't have been my pick, but he has the scope to be good in his own right. Pedlar also possibly wasn't my pick at 11, but I don't hate him either and feel like if I had seen more of him I might have him closer to the 10 mark myself.

And Rowe was suitable for where he was picked and is a plug and play crumbing forward which Adelaide also could use.

By no means a bad draft.

What will the cost be for Rankine, though? Will we have the currency?
By the time we are approaching finals again, Gold Coast with their talent laden list will be right in flag contention, Rankine isn't leaving then, no one is leaving Gold Coast now or in the next 5-6 years. This talk is just fantasy stuff, we were wooden spooners, we lost our best mid, we've recruited promising kids but that's all they are, promising.

By the time we are approaching finals again, Gold Coast with their talent laden list will be right in flag contention, Rankine isn't leaving then, no one is leaving Gold Coast now or in the next 5-6 years. This talk is just fantasy stuff, we were wooden spooners, we lost our best mid, we've recruited promising kids but that's all they are, promising.

Much like no one left GWS?

If the sport didn't have a salary cap, you're right, no one leaves GC. This league does have a salary cap though and there are going to be a lot of players worth a big boy contract in the next 5-6 years at GC if all goes to plan on their end. The price of being stacked with talent is inevitably you have to choose which talent you keep.

Never say never.

Surely there is more of a punishment than this.

Otherwise, some multimillionaire footy supporter would just say to his team, you guys offer the best player in the league a million bucks a year and I'll pay the fine.
Contracts have to be lodged with the AFL who approves them as being within TPP. AFL won't approve contracts that push you over the top so then it's the clubs problem with the player who has the rejected contract.

Well maybe the kids wanted to repay some faith into GC or maybe they genuine like it there.

The strategy from our point of view is clear and I think Hamish even said himself that we went hard to last couple of drafts. We are planning to go hard to one more draft and after that we will start to look at trade and free agency to round out the list. When Rankine and Lukosious come out of contract Alinea with our strategy.

We have always had to overpay players to get them to come here regardless of whether they are local or not. We also need to spend a significant amount of the salary cap as a minimum spend regardless of whether you have a mature list or not. Someone will have to be paid and might as well make it a recruit you are attracting to your club. Proportioning the salary cap equally will result in EVERYONE being overpaid if you have a young list.

People complained that we have Eddie Betts 4 year deal at $550k a season and called it a significant overpay. It is by far the best contract that the club ha signed anyone to. It proved to be a masterstroke that could have easily resulted in a premiership.

You mean like Lever and Cameron left a side that played off in a GF for Melbourne and Brisbane respectively who were cellar dwellers at the end of 2017?

If we can prove that we are in the right direction and making real strides, then we can attract them (or someone else from GC) with an offer that GC could not match. They will have salary cap pressures in the not too distant future.

Well maybe the kids wanted to repay some faith into GC or maybe they genuine like it there.

The strategy from our point of view is clear and I think Hamish even said himself that we went hard to last couple of drafts. We are planning to go hard to one more draft and after that we will start to look at trade and free agency to round out the list. When Rankine and Lukosious come out of contract Alinea with our strategy.

We have always had to overpay players to get them to come here regardless of whether they are local or not. We also need to spend a significant amount of the salary cap as a minimum spend regardless of whether you have a mature list or not. Someone will have to be paid and might as well make it a recruit you are attracting to your club. Proportioning the salary cap equally will result in EVERYONE being overpaid if you have a young list.

People complained that we have Eddie Betts 4 year deal at $550k a season and called it a significant overpay. It is by far the best contract that the club ha signed anyone to. It proved to be a masterstroke that could have easily resulted in a premiership.

IIRC didnt we improve the conditions of Betts's contract with us, after a few seasons?

Much like no one left GWS?

If the sport didn't have a salary cap, you're right, no one leaves GC. This league does have a salary cap though and there are going to be a lot of players worth a big boy contract in the next 5-6 years at GC if all goes to plan on their end. The price of being stacked with talent is inevitably you have to choose which talent you keep.
Until this year, who left GWS that they wanted to keep? Everyone that left they were happy to see go as they kept getting very good picks for them, sometimes two very good picks. Most of those they let go had consistency or disposal problems whilst they kept the cream. Only poor coaching stopped them winning flag/s with the players that stayed.

AFL is determined to get Gold Coast to succeed, they will be given whatever they need and, unlike GWS, they have a very good, well liked and respected coach. I just think all the talk about luring back Luko and Rankine is pointless, how did we go with Pavlich, or prime age Gibbs etc.

We've had our best draft ever but like Jones and McHenry who were picks 9 & 16 but don't fill me with confidence they'll make it, this years draftees haven't done anything yet, talk of climbing quickly up the ladder and being attractive to the GC guns is premature. This rebuild will take longer than people think

Back