Analysis AFC finances - Rich Club, Poor Club?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
It probably is, but it’s way more fun to speculate wildly, and I needed something to make me smile today.

The odd thing is, if we gave all the merch to Rebel Sport, then yeah we’d have no inventory, but the note to the accounts says “obsolescence” which is a very odd note to use for inventory like we have.
That was what Jake Lever was doing dumping his Crows merch at the dump.

"Oi, Jakey, while you're down there..."

Iron

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably not too many conclusions you can draw without knowing what all the controlled entities do, but for what it's worth, things aren't getting worse.

Including whatever consolidation entries etc... not sure how they account for their investments?

k183y04.jpg

zDqi9r2.jpg

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Reading on the Footy Industry board, Membership thread, we are third behind Richmond and Collingwood in terms of Membership revenue.

Considering the mockery our free members have received, still showing our membership support is among the best in the league.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Reading on the Footy Industry board, Membership thread, we are third behind Richmond and Collingwood in terms of Membership revenue.

Considering the mockery our free members have received, still showing our membership support is among the best in the league.

Interesting that WCE offer a similar membership to our free membership (no game access) for $50. A few extra benefits, like a fridge magnet and a few other bits and pieces.

And Port also offer a no game access membership similar to ours, for $85 that includes voting rights.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Interesting that WCE offer a similar membership to our free membership (no game access) for $50. A few extra benefits, like a fridge magnet and a few other bits and pieces.

And Port also offer a no game access membership similar to ours, for $85 that includes voting rights.

Those get counted in the AFL Audit.

Do Port's Magpies memberships get counted in the AFL audit?

I suspect they might as they are over $50 and it is a membership to the club. The AFL removed games access from their audit.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Those get counted in the AFL Audit.

Do Port's Magpies memberships get counted in the AFL audit?

I suspect they might as they are over $50 and it is a membership to the club. The AFL removed games access from their audit.

Guessing, I would have thought so. From memory the membership provides a 10% discount on food at the Prince of Wales Hotel. They'd make the 10% back on the pokies and beer sales though

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Realistically, the annual chest beating/hand wringing as to the AFL Membership audit is the biggest waste of time there is, and designed to appeal to simpletons.

You can skin the cat a number of different ways, and according to each organisations strategic outcomes it will differ what they view as success. There is no particular reason why the AFL's methodology should be preferred for anyone.

I tend to suspect what's important to us is revenue and 11 game members. We would appear to do well in this. I can understand why clubs who play a lot at the MCG might have more of an interest in getting paid up 3 game members.

It's all a matter of horses for courses.

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
Membership is a fundraising activity.

The number of members is really irrelevant as it is the dollars generated the club needs.

To an extent.

If total membership revenue for 50,000 members = x it's not worthwhile just to have one member willing to pay $x + 1. There are obvious side benefits to having as many people broadly committed to your club as possible.

The splitting hairs between Gold/11 game/$50/3 game/unpaid is more what is unhelpful.

There are very few clubs who are really directly comparable in terms of what they're trying to strategically get out of their memberships.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
To an extent.

If total membership revenue for 50,000 members = x it's not worthwhile just to have one member willing to pay $x + 1. There are obvious side benefits to having as many people broadly committed to your club as possible.

The splitting hairs between Gold/11 game/$50/3 game/unpaid is more what is unhelpful.

There are very few clubs who are really directly comparable in terms of what they're trying to strategically get out of their memberships.
I probably should have added it is also an indication of market share, number of supporters etc.

Which also helps with revenue.

You are right in that there is no direct comparison between clubs in regards to membership numbers.

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I probably should have added it is also an indication of market share, number of supporters etc.

Which also helps with revenue.

You are right in that there is no direct comparison between clubs in regards to membership numbers.

Looking at comparable AFC vs Port Power membership prices.

11 game general admission, Crows $260 PP $220

11 game Essential Crow/Power, Crows $465 PP $385

Multiplying the higher prices across our membership base along with much higher attendance rate gives us a huge revenue boost over our neighbours.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Noted in another thread but I'll want to refer to it shortly I think when our results are released

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Statutory profit of $238k

Probably not too bad given we sacked a coach, had an external review and no doubt paid a decent sum to Burton.

All that would have cost at least $1.5m

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Of course we won’t publicly acknowledge the cost of our incompetence and employing your mates

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Goes to show you what we COULD be capable of if we run this place properly.

Back