Analysis AFC finances - Rich Club, Poor Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

we should be making a profit.

I don't agree with this, we are a football club not a company with shareholders. We should budget to spend almost every dollar of income in the best possible way and if we earn more money than we forecasted we should still spend it on improving the football club by bringing in new experts in any field that would help us, by improving facilities or getting existing staff members new qualifications and education. Unless they are saving for a major purchase like Hawthorn and west coast are doing, spend the money, make sure we have the best people we can get in every department and make sure our facilities are as good as they could possibly be.

Money in the bank doesn't win premierships.

And certainly you can think that, but there's also a counter-argument: Roo could rent out those rooms to normal paying customers, why should he give a discount? It's all well and good he gives up his time to the club, they shouldn't also expect him to give up rooms in his hotel for free.

Also, maybe they did get it cheaper.

Why anyone would think that it should be cheaper is kidding themselves. It should be a purely commercial decision at arms length from Roo's influence. I expect that Roo would have made sure he had no information that could benefit his business in winning the work. I wouldn't begrudge a board member getting a last offer type benefit, but I'd bet London to a brick that this wouldn't be the case. Far too much credibility, AFC and Roo, at stake for a piddly $10k profit (if that) for Roo to share amongst his investment partners.

I don't agree with this, we are a football club not a company with shareholders. We should budget to spend almost every dollar of income in the best possible way and if we earn more money than we forecasted we should still spend it on improving the football club by bringing in new experts in any field that would help us, by improving facilities or getting existing staff members new qualifications and education. Unless they are saving for a major purchase like Hawthorn and west coast are doing, spend the money, make sure we have the best people we can get in every department and make sure our facilities are as good as they could possibly be.

Arent the Crows looking for a city venue?

Did we make another large loss?

Aren't the losses designed to pay off the Westpac centre quicker rather than over a long period of time? Thats what I heard in the Trigg days, not sure whether spin or not. But that seems legit as no one is making a song and dance about us actually losing money etc. In other words, we aren't Port.

It's speculated but they have a lease for AAMI stadium until 2048 already paid for, so it's unlikely unless someone buys that lease for a handsome sum of money.

Developers dude. Once max basheer is developed, I don't think it will be long until AAMi itself is gone. The SANFL stand to make a mint from selling the land which I expect will happen, leaving the WestPac centre to be renovated into something else. However, this will probably take another decade to happen at least since the Crows would have to build another state of the art training centre.

Didn't the club do a community camp in Port Lincoln last year after the NAB challenge game? wouldn't that be what the $47k to the port Lincoln hotel be? accomodation and food for the entire playing group and support staff for a couple days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't keep operating like that. That's pretty close the line, closer than I'd be comfortable with.

Hemi's back!!!!

Closer than i would have liked too. You never want to see the words "temporary overdraft" in this context, but it wasn't used and certainly the cash flow rocketing up again is a good sign. I look forward to this year's accounts already, I'd love to see how it improved (assuming it does)

But yes, we can't keep operating like that - in my mind, those results are the equivalent of pulling up after a steep dive where your plane nearly hit the ground.

Or, we could just hit the ground and do what every other club does - go to the AFL for cash ;)

It's the exact same reason I get pissed off when people refer to Howard/Costello as sound economic managers. They wen't through boom times in the 90's followed by a mining boom in the following decade and we have sweet * all to show for it.

Aren't the losses designed to pay off the Westpac centre quicker rather than over a long period of time? Thats what I heard in the Trigg days, not sure whether spin or not. But that seems legit as no one is making a song and dance about us actually losing money etc. In other words, we aren't Port.

I think you're referring to the claim of accelerating the depreciation of the centre. This was debunked by someone because depreciation was reasonably consistent between the periods, if I recall correctly.

I think you're referring to the claim of accelerating the depreciation of the centre. This was debunked by someone because depreciation was reasonably consistent between the periods, if I recall correctly.
Was not the real main reason for why we made big losses. ;)

Non-accountant opinion: could the overdraft be because our cashflow is strongly seasonal?

We'd have to guess as to the timings for the cash flow - there's probably a big batch when the memberships come in, and some memberships are by instalment now so that smooths that a bit; then there's the money from the AFL, and who knows when that comes in - it's not possible to say with any certainty, and I've even posit that the cashflow isn't that seasonal; either way, you'd hope that as a business it would save enough cash to get it through the times when they know the cash won't be coming in, which doesn't appear to have been the case last year, but perhaps they identified they wanted to spend more cash during the year, and then set up the overdraft in advance just in case (remember, they didn't use it) they couldn't recoup it quick enough from other sources.

tl;dr = probably not, but it can't be discounted.

Can't forget those results are from 1 November 2014 to 31 October 2015. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Fagan has done a great job considering our AFL and SANFL mandated exoenses and absence of licensed facility snd pokies.

Given we are essentially a not for profit organisation I see this result as a positive even if after depreciation and other non cash items we actually make a statutory loss.

We have had our highest revenue result, with increased sponsorship and remain the highest 11 game membership in the competition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back