Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm against Port Power as much as the next guy but I kinda feel for them here.

We know their club is all about spin and PR, it seems like it's all their fans care about at times. Whether it's membership numbers, attendance numbers, did they get mentioned on the Footy Show etc.

I find AFC fans generally don't care about this sort of stuff as much, generally. This would be killing their supporters who hold this sort of PR s**t so close to their heart, we know there are many of these.

When they turned on the Col v Carl game and they were turning people away their heart sank, when they saw the crowd at Thebby and the family atmosphere they feared, when they see the AFC knock off a fancied Melbourne team on a Fri night in Melbourne it just got worse.

There will be real, long term impacts on AFC having a team and them not, can see why they are pissed.
It's because 50% of the kids in this state now have hero's they can be inspired to emulate. It may take years but those kids will grow up buying Crows memberships not powa. And leading the charge for these hearts and minds is their very own Erin. The longer we have a woman's team and they don't the further behind they will fall.

Yikes, not even close...
What do you mean?

SA’s entry, in a replica of how the national men’s AFL league was built, may not emerge until 2020. And by then Port Adelaide will have developed a deep talent base from the SANFL junior ranks.

By contrast, the Adelaide Football Club wants to be in the AFL national women’s league next year, but is working to limited senior talent in SA. This has prompted the Crows to seek senior women’s players in the NT - a move now seemingly blocked by the AFL this week handing academy access to Victorian-based rivals Hawthorn, Melbourne, Essendon and North Melbourne.

What do you mean?

It is now increasingly likely that the inaugural AFL national women’s league - set to be launched next year as a short-form competition - will have no SA-based team. WRONG

SA’s entry, in a replica of how the national men’s AFL league was built, may not emerge until 2020. WRONG

This has prompted the Crows to seek senior women’s players in the NT - a move now seemingly blocked by the AFL this week handing academy access to Victorian-based rivals Hawthorn, Melbourne, Essendon and North Melbourne. WRONG

As is Rucci's modus operandi, it's speculation speculation speculation instead of facts facts facts, and once again, busted.

It is now increasingly likely that the inaugural AFL national women’s league - set to be launched next year as a short-form competition - will have no SA-based team. WRONG

SA’s entry, in a replica of how the national men’s AFL league was built, may not emerge until 2020. WRONG

This has prompted the Crows to seek senior women’s players in the NT - a move now seemingly blocked by the AFL this week handing academy access to Victorian-based rivals Hawthorn, Melbourne, Essendon and North Melbourne. WRONG

As is Rucci's modus operandi, it's speculation speculation speculation instead of facts facts facts, and once again, busted.
This was my favorite:

SANFL football chief Adam Kelly yesterday endorsed the Port Adelaide Football Club alliance with the State under-18 women’s program, but emphasised the team would remain under SANFL control.

“We really appreciate Port Adelaide’s involvement, particularly with facilities and resources but the program remains with the SANFL and under Bill Economou’s leadership,” he said.

I.e. Back off Port. Just let us use the oval and stop trying to claim what's not yours.

Should ring up 5aa on the weekend for a follow up

Two of Collingwood's AFLW players were at one of my schools today running a footy clinic

They said that each of the clubs are contracted to run clinics at 8 different schools over the course of the women's season.

I let them know I enjoyed the fact that they took Port Adelaide's SANFL jumper, and they had a laugh too, but they were both WA girls so they probably weren't super aware of Port's history of angst regarding their jumper..

One of them also said she never thought she would end up wearing Collingwood colours... I guess that is how the draft works, eh ?

Two of Collingwood's AFLW players were at one of my schools today running a footy clinic

They said that each of the clubs are contracted to run clinics at 8 different schools over the course of the women's season.

I let them know I enjoyed the fact that they took Port Adelaide's SANFL jumper, and they had a laugh too, but they were both WA girls so they probably weren't super aware of Port's history of angst regarding their jumper..

One of them also said she never thought she would end up wearing Collingwood colours... I guess that is how the draft works, eh ?
Surely they know the grand history of the greatest community, grassroots and Chinese football supporting club in the land?

I think that covers everything the Power want to do. Everything but win games if AFL footy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't that injury the result of the very late hit on her in the 3rd q? Don't think the Bulldogs' player got cited and should have been.
Iam a blank ... can't recall the incident ...it's a shame for her as the teams a real chance this season ... and wouldn't that be great

So Kochie told the Lemmings at their AGM that the AFL told them they would not get the SA team when they enquired so they did not put a bid in.

They trot out Erin Phillips and annex a div 2 ammo team and say Erin will captain that team in the AFLW.

They then effectively abandon this team with them having to forfeit games due to lack of numbers in season 2016. Despite the Port Power PR team saying they would have a womans academy and support graswroots womans footy after we won our bid.

Then KT ( yesterday)says the womans league wont be any good for at least ten years and that is the timeframe they may consider entering a team.

Seems that club has got their PR spin spinning everywhere in regards to womans footy.

Last edited:
So Kochie told the Lemmings at their AGM that the AFL told them they would not get the SA team when they enquired so they did not put a bid in.

They trot out Erin Phillips and annex a div 2 ammo team and say Erin will captain that team in the AFLW.

They then effectively abandon this team with them having to forfeit games due to lack of numbers in season 2016. Despite the Port Power PR team saying they would have a womans academy and support graswroots womans footy after we won our bid.

Then KT ( yesterday)says the womans league wont be any good for at least ten years and that is the timeframe they may consider entering a team.

Seems that club has got their PR spin spinning everywhere in regards to womans footy.

Which is a horrible thing to do to people I know at the Port women's team who are incredibly passionate and dedicated.

The AFL wouldn't have told them they won't get a team, the AFL would have told them the AFL won't pay for their team and they won't be able to receive equalisation money if they are well off enough to be putting in a bid for a women's team.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Port aren't trying to copy Collingwood and start up a netball team to counteract our growth in female members likely to be caused by our women's team.

They AFL wouldn't have told them they won't get a team, the AFL would have told them the AFL won't pay for their team and they won't be able to receive equalisation money if they are well off enough to be putting in a bid for a women's team.
IIRC SA was never going to get a team due to the weakness of our league compared to other states.

But our club fought for it and put up a profesional proposal to counter that issue. The results soeak for themselves.

Port probably thought annexing a team and slapping a jumper on Erin Phillips as part of a Christmas Present to their supporters was all the effort required.

The AFL do pay most expenses relating to the womens team. In particular their salaries and match day expenses. But our club has procured additional funds to give the women the best opportunity to succeed.

Last edited:
Apparently SAAFL junior girls team nominations from clubs are more than double last seasons still with several weeks to go before they close

This will be huge I reckon.

Hopefully they can work alongside netball so that girls can play both through winter. I'm sure they will, everything has been done shrewdly so far.

Apparently SAAFL junior girls team nominations from clubs are more than double last seasons still with several weeks to go before they close

This will be huge I reckon.

Hopefully they can work alongside netball so that girls can play both through winter. I'm sure they will, everything has been done shrewdly so far.

And anyone that's good will funnel directly into our AFL team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back