Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting development...
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s/news-story/ca1c3826ddf17542e50923fb772ebd5c

A NEW elite female Victorian football league will be set up to offer a pathway to AFLW in another major step forward for the women’s game.

In an Aussie first, a TAC Cup Girls competition will be established to give females aged 16-18 the best chance of fulfilling their dreams of playing professionally.

Every boy’s TAC Cup club in the state will this year field a girls squad, forming a 12 team female underage competition with bases throughout metropolitan and regional Victoria.

The competition, to start this weekend, will boost the talent pool for the successful AFLW and streamline players to the top tier of footy.

Male and female TAC Cup players will share the same training facilities and access to coaches under the expansion. Carlton AFWL vice-captain Madeline Keryk said the fact girls would be given the same opportunities as boys was a significant step on the path to professionalism. ``It’s definitely a massive step towards achieving that equality in terms of having that complete pathway girls can come through from juniors, Auskick and all the way through,’’ she said. ``To have that access to all the coaches and experience, I mean in the past a lot of girls have had to stop playing when they’re 12 or 14 and they missed those crucial years of development. ``It’s just going to drive the standard of football up and up and really drive participation for girls as well’’

Don't mind the idea in principle. Some concerns over being able to fill 12 teams. Then , unless expansion happens after 2020, where do they go? Or does it mean some have to move etc.

Smells a bit Academy to me. (and yes that's a selfish viewpoint)
Won't be any different to TAC, SANFL U18's etc lads that don't get drafted.....they either disperse into the lower levels in each state or take their sporting pursuits to other sports etc..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens...ay-free-for-fans-in-2018-20170301-guofbh.html

Booming AFLW set to stay free for fans in 2018
Women's football is booming – a fact measurable in crowd, television and participation figures – but the AFL's CEO believes the eight-club AFLW should not expand before 2019 and that entry should remain free next year. At the mid-season point of the inaugural women's season 126,000 spectators have attended the 16games played over the 10 match days to date. Television figures have both stunned and pleased executives - 3.9 million viewers have tuned in on Channel Seven and Fox Sports, who are broadcasting all games.
The average audience per game over the past four weeks has been 530,000 on free-to-air and 104,000 for games broadcast on pay TV. On Saturday the women's game between Carlton v Melbourne, which started at 11.35am, rated almost as well on Fox Sports as the men's match, with a 2.05pm start time and also televised by Fox, in the double-header at Casey Fields.

And despite pressure from clubs that applied for inaugural AFLW licences but missed out, the competition will almost certainly not expand beyond eight teams before 2019, though at the mid-season point McLachlan did not rule out the prospect categorically.

They'll be comparing those crowd and TV numbers intently against the main opposition right now

Love to know what those figures translate to in terms of broadcast rights. I reckon the girls deserve a fair bit more funds flowing to them. I know its early days and grass root development is critical and needs funding, but bumping up 2018 salaries will surely bring more talent into the system.

Any idea what's happening to address the issue with the girls having to find another sport between 12 and 16. Are these opportunities increasing via schools and clubs as well?

Not sure about Victoria, but I was pretty sure that's what the state government funding was going towards here.

Love to know what those figures translate to in terms of broadcast rights. I reckon the girls deserve a fair bit more funds flowing to them. I know its early days and grass root development is critical and needs funding, but bumping up 2018 salaries will surely bring more talent into the system.

Nothing is going to change before 2019 - two or three seasons at the starter level before moving up is necessary, and would have been necessary even if they hadn't rushed the entire project to get it out the door at the same time as the opposition launched their big new push.

Pretty impressive given her physique and this is a stat dominated by small quick agile forwards in the men's comp.

Great vid about Heather Anderson made by the club

taking speccies pretending to be Burton?

I feel sorry for the kids who didn't get to grow up with Modra... not that Burton couldn't get up there of course lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think after watching all games played this weekend in the AFLW it confirmed to me we're certainly behind Brisbane, Carlton & Melbourne by a long way when it comes to size, athletism and natural footballers/footballing ability, it showed against Brisbane in the loss last night and in all fairness Carlton showed us up until we managed to turn it into a scrap & out lasted them in trying conditions, so next week the girls could again be facing the same issues they've faced in those games

I think after watching all games played this weekend in the AFLW it confirmed to me we're certainly behind Brisbane, Carlton & Melbourne by a long way when it comes to size, athletism and natural footballers/footballing ability, it showed against Brisbane in the loss last night and in all fairness Carlton showed us up until we managed to turn it into a scrap & out lasted them in trying conditions, so next week the girls could again be facing the same issues they've faced in those games
Yeah but we are better coached.

The method we play has got us where we are against the more skillfull and athletic teams.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah but we are better coached.

The method we play has got us where we are against the more skillfull and athletic teams.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Exactly Goddard installs incredible self belief and investment as a coach and has solid coaching credentials + decent kit bag of tactical nous but coming up against the Brisbane girls with a similar buy in to Starcevich who has a wealth of knowledge and is strong tactically as well, a fair bit of Goddard's 'touch' was negated and it probably on that rare occasion really came down solely to the Cattle on field and they simply weren't good enough as Brisbane's to get it done in the end.

Exactly Goddard installs incredible self belief and investment as a coach and has solid coaching credentials + decent kit bag of tactical nous but coming up against the Brisbane girls with a similar buy in to Starcevich who has a wealth of knowledge and is strong tactically as well, a fair bit of Goddard's 'touch' was negated and it probably on that rare occasion really came down solely to the Cattle on field and they simply weren't good enough as Brisbane's to get it done in the end.
It was just efficiency up front that did it. You had them covered most ways.
Could easily have won that game.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It was just efficiency up front that did it. You had them covered most ways.
Could easily have won that game.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It was a lot to do with not manning up on their loose player out the back that did us in. I'm not sure that showed up on the telecast at all, but it was so obvious at the ground that we were getting sucked in to the contest and not checking that everyone was covered. When we did our quick kick to certain places out of stoppages, that player was too close in the contest and hence the easy marks on their own by Brisbane who set up and stuck to their structures better. Hatchard and Randall were so very good on Fredrick-Taub and Harris, respectively. I'm feeling confident about a game against Brisbane again, if we are good enough to make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back