Women's Footy AFC GET Women's Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gibson has requested a trade back to WA
Bugger, she had talent and aggression. Will come on in leaps and bounds in her 2nd season i reckon.
She was a Marquee, so that means we can get another one? Or just means we have a slot free for higher payments in the top two tiers?

Top 4 players - Noff, Randall, Phillips, Perkins. Maybe Sedge up there too? So we can go and get a star from elsewhere to come over?

She was a Marquee, so that means we can get another one? Or just means we have a slot free for higher payments in the top two tiers?

Top 4 players - Noff, Randall, Phillips, Perkins. Maybe Sedge up there too? So we can go and get a star from elsewhere to come over?
You'd think Phillips would be marquee now ??

We were moving Phillips up to Marquee equal with Randall. Gibson was getting a drop in salary, so back to Freo she requested.

Why isn't there just a flat salary cap for the AFLW?

There is from what I understand. But there are levels within that that the AFL stipulates instead of one player getting a lot of the money and a lot less for the rest of the time. This way it allows the limited salary to be spread more evenly than happens in the Men's teams.

Why isn't there just a flat salary cap for the AFLW?

Theoretically like every salary cap they wanted a even (as humanly possible under the current parameters) competition, This is what the AFL Commission's very small pond thinking came up with when they set about the AFLW Playing List structure;

• They wanted the 'non-strong' states to get a couple of top end talents from interstate to see if they could drag them up to some competitiveness

• Talent needed to be spread throughout Melbourne so not every Victorian player would team up to create 'super teams' at Melbourne clubs

• The right amount of enticement and remuneration to be offered to these 'Semi-Professionals' so the club identifying 'Marquee' Players won't leave the club in its formative years* & top players wouldn't even think about leaving current teams to create those Melbourne super teams after 1 season*

• Ongoing CBA negotiations with the AFLPA stop any formal longer term AFL implementated deals which make all contracts 1 year deals with no stipulation for future year contracts* (virtually nullifying the steps undertaken in the first two points).

*At time of implementation AFL House more than likely were quite unsure whether future seasons would even commence let alone generate enough interest to even take a viewpoint past 2017.

Fast forward to now, after a season that went beyond their expectations the majority of the stipulations set out in the 1st season have already failed. Strangely enough it turns out with the rush for more professionalism in women's sport & AFLPA increased power it now means the steps taken to make the competition fairer, competitive & more even has collapsed, big Victorian clubs like Carlton & Collingwood are going to go back to using the same tactics they used in the VFL from the 70s & 80s, offering better jobs, bigger commercial deals and are now even using those assets to try to lure young impressionable interstate players who probably never thought there was ever a possibility of a free move to the 'big smoke' of Melbourne.

Last edited:
The fact that Tayla Harris is likely to head to Victoria is rubbish
She can see what Daisy is doing, she's on Game Day regularly and commentating for MMM and those opportunities only happen if you're playing at a Victorian club.

It's not just about playing the game it's about setting yourself up for life. Which she'll be able to do if she moves which sucks ass cos it means alot more will follow her lead.

Pity to lose Gibson, although it's not like she set the world on fire this year. Still, she has obvious talent and lightning speed, she would have been a good player for the next decade.

Phillips to become a marquee player in her wake is a no-brainer. Brilliant to have her, Perkins and Randall signed back up, arguably our three most important players and none of them were based in SA before last year's draft :thumbsu:

She can see what Daisy is doing, she's on Game Day regularly and commentating for MMM and those opportunities only happen if you're playing at a Victorian club.

It's not just about playing the game it's about setting yourself up for life. Which she'll be able to do if she moves which sucks ass cos it means alot more will follow her lead.
Reports on the lions board is that she is disillusioned with footy and the move is an attempt to rekindle her enthusiasm, otherwise she quits and becomes a boxer.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-05-25/aflw-key-crows-resign

So we've re-signed:
  • Marinoff
  • Cramey
  • McCormick
  • Radan
  • Hatchard
  • Cox
  • Sedunary
  • Mules
  • Metcalfe
  • Killian
  • Varnhagen
  • Bevan
  • Allan
  • Holmes
  • Thompson
  • Foley
  • Riley
Plus:
  • Phillips
  • Randall
  • Perkins
That means we've re-signed 20/22 possible players

Not offered a contract: H. Anderson (due to injury), Armitstead (due to injury), O'Shea, J. Anderson

Unsigned: Hollick, Thorn, Gibson (requested trade to WA)

Squads for 2018 are 30 players (27 senior, 3 rookies). We currently have 20 players signed, though that may increase to 22 if we sign Hollick and Thorn. That'd leave 8-10 free list spots to re-rookie players and draft in new ones

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

from what I've been told Harris felt like Brisbane wouldn't let her do boxing so that was part of the move - not sure if Carlton are any different but I guess that was part of the conversation with the trade

also been told there is a bit of a dusty element in it too

from what I've been told Harris felt like Brisbane wouldn't let her do boxing so that was part of the move - not sure if Carlton are any different but I guess that was part of the conversation with the trade

Her old man has been deported due to his high ranking status in one of Australia's renowned outlaw motorcycle gangs? Wow! You never can tell hey!

She's got a huge crush on him, posts about him on social media pretty regularly.

I did this myself the other day but in reverse, just trying to list the "don't mind losing" players and seeing who was left. Got it down to 22 players I'd want to keep pretty easily, harder to eliminate the other two. Ended up with this list of 20 in order of important to keep.

Erin Phillips
Chelsea Randall
Ebony Marinoff
Courtney Cramey
Kellie Gibson
Sarah Perkins
Rhiannon Metcalfe
Stevie-Lee Thompson
Deni Varnhagen
Talia Radan
Justine Mules
Heather Anderson (assuming she is able to continue playing after her injury)
Rachael Killian
Jessica Sedunary
Georgia Bevan
Anne Hatchard
Angela Foley
Sarah Allan
Abbey Holmes
Sally Riley

(and the last two eliminated)
Jenna McCormick
Dayna Cox

Not bad... given that I nominated 22 players and then Gibson left and Anderson had to quit due to her injury, I got the remaining 20 players all correct :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back