Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Thinking about it earlier did the AFL miss the boat, Should the men's Crows vs Melbourne game in NT be earlier in the season, with the women's teams playing first.
Would have been a great Doubleheader, and NT would have turned it into a great party environment, AFL could have gained some good mileage out of it, with some of the Ex-players hanging around for Sunday sessions with the locals
Our NTFL finals are around Mid March.
Crows playing mid year is the best climate wise as its our cooler dry season.
Wouldn't change the time slot.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Where are those statistics from? Australia? If so then you need to take into account the issues around the type of sport that women are playing there in netball, where a lot of those knee injuries occur. It's not the physiology of a woman I bet, but more to do with the type of sport that the majority play.

My son had his knee reconstructed 12 months ago and he explained to us at the time that ACL injuries are far more common in females due to body mechanics.

I just did a google search and found the following

http://orthonc.com/your-health/preventing-acl-tears-why-are-acl-tears-more-common-in-female-athletes

THE ANSWER: Overwhelmingly, female athletes put greater stress on their knees (and particularly the ACL) as a result of different biomechanics. Three factors in particular have been identified:

1. Females' knees are more" Turned In" (toward the midline of the body).
  2. Females' knees are less bent when jumping and landing.
  3. Females jump and run with the soles of the feet in a more rigid position and directed away from the body's center of gravity.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
So basically, females are not taught how to jump and land or run properly.

This is why everyone needs to do a gymnastics course when they are little before they do any other sport. You are taught how to jump, land, and more importantly, fall properly.
I think it has more to do with the location of the hip rotator cuff relative to centre of gravity. Women's 'bum wobble' when walking is because women have to rotate their hips more to bring the line of the leg closer to their centre of gravity, where men can keep their hips straighter.

Its a biological difference that flows from walking styles, into running and I assume jumping and kicking.

In some instances, trying to teach women to do it the way men do it may be a mistake.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

This is why everyone needs to do a gymnastics course when they are little before they do any other sport. You are taught how to jump, land, and more importantly, fall properly.
won't speak for everyone but as a male who has played different sports from 5 to now in my late 20's, no one has ever tried to teach me any of those things either.

obviously the risks could probably be mitigated through technique, but the simple fact of the matter is that bio-mechanically the two sexes are different. If you give a doctor 100 random hip x-rays they'll correctly identify the sex of all of them.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
won't speak for everyone but as a male who has played different sports from 5 to now in my late 20's, no one has ever tried to teach me any of those things either.

obviously the risks could probably be mitigated through technique, but the simple fact of the matter is that bio-mechanically the two sexes are different. If you give a doctor 100 random hip x-rays they'll correctly identify the sex of all of them.

To be Honest as Kids in my day we learned to land and fall through roughhousing. We learned to run, fall, get up and turn sharply through the games we played. ie red rover or British bulldog and not the touch one the tackle into the ground version, King of the castle, Tackle Football either Aussie rules or rugby, wrestling, falling out of trees, All these taught you how to land.
Unfortunately, girls were not allowed to play those games.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
To be Honest as Kids in my day we learned to land and fall through roughhousing. We learned to run, fall, get up and turn sharply through the games we played. ie red rover or British bulldog and not the touch one the tackle into the ground version, King of the castle, Tackle Football either Aussie rules or rugby, wrestling, falling out of trees, All these taught you how to land.
Unfortunately, girls were not allowed to play those games.

I can guarantee you that most AFL footballers don't know how to 'land' properly, just from watching them, and I know of some of them who are sent by their clubs to have gymnastics lessons.

Oct 31, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Heat

Umm...no. As someone who has done an ACL, I was told the same thing about men vs women with ACL injuries. A lot is due to the position of the hips due to child birth needs, nothing to do with not being taught how to move in different ways. Gymnastics would be a good idea but I would say that hardly any men are taught to land, jump or run at all either.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I can guarantee you that most AFL footballers don't know how to 'land' properly, just from watching them, and I know of some of them who are sent by their clubs to have gymnastics lessons.

Not only gymnastic, there few that go through martial arts as well.
But that the difference between the older generation and younger. we learned to land the hard way.
Also would gymnastic be the best platform to learn how to land, after it all straight line work.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

I never did gymnastics but did do Karate and my dad taught us kids a bit of Judo.

Last night playing squash, only played a few times but great workout BTW, I landed on my heel and went down. My mate told me I did a good roll going down whilst laughing once he realised I was OK.

I guess I still remember those early lessons as a kid on how to drop safely. Probably saved my ankle .

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I never did gymnastics but did do Karate and my dad taught us kids a bit of Judo.

Last night playing squash, only played a few times but great workout BTW, I landed on my heel and went down. My mate told me I did a good roll going down whilst laughing once he realised I was OK.

I guess I still remember those early lessons as a kid in his to drop safely. Probably saved my ankle .

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Yea been involved on and off since the 70's in the old YMCA halls with Martial arts and Boxing
they Teach you to land at any angle and how to fight to get up on two feet.

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Not only gymnastic, there few that go through martial arts as well.
But that the difference between the older generation and younger. we learned to land the hard way.
Also would gymnastic be the best platform to learn how to land, after it all straight line work.

Haven't seen gymnastics lately have you? ;) There are a lot of turns etc involved. It also increases the strength and flexibility of the ankle which is where a lot of people have trouble. Martial arts have set placement of the feet I've seen often based on a lack of full rotation through the hips.

Haven't seen gymnastics lately have you? ;) There are a lot of turns etc involved. It also increases the strength and flexibility of the ankle which is where a lot of people have trouble. Martial arts have set placement of the feet I've seen often based on a lack of full rotation through the hips.

Not to mention, if someone does have a problem with their gait or has issues with flat feet or dodgy tendons, doing something such as gymnastics or ballet will probably make it more evident at a younger age, so it can be treated or managed.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-12-01/crows-women-unite-for-camp
Crows women unite for camp

480497_nl.jpg

Erin Phillips

The Crows’ AFL Women’s team will unite at Football Park this weekend for a two-day pre-season training camp.

The 18 players based in South Australia will train with the nine players based in the Northern Territory for the first time at the camp, with a practice match scheduled for Saturday morning at 10am open to the public.

On the morning the Crows supporter group will provide a sausage sizzle and Club merchandise and memberships will be available for purchase, with the players available to sign autographs following the match at approximately noon.

As well as the practice match, the squad will take part in tackling and craft workshops, professional development sessions and team bonding activities across the two days.

The team will also watch dual-code athlete Jenna McCormick play for Canberra United in the W-League at Angle Park on Saturday night.

The inaugural AFL Women’s competition will start in February 2017, with the official fixture expected to be announced next week.

The Crows team is in partnership with AFLNT.

aneale

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I did gymnastics and little atletics as a kid. Still snapped my ACL 4 times.

There is more to it than that.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Only watched Gymnastics thru one of my kids, and yes in some area it very good but most of the power look to come from a straight line, Also landing all look to be a straight line.
were I Have done martial arts for a while and I can understand where you get where you get to thinking it set foot placement, but you would be very wrong to think so, Hip rotation is a strong need for Striking techniques, throws/takedowns, and Groundwork,
Don't forget the one thing that is important is being pushed out of you comfort zone and learning to land in an unprepared direction. To control a collapse rather than stiffen it.

But we must keep in mind that injury happens no matter what type training.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watched a bit of the women's trial today. Extremely impressive and seem like a lovely bunch. Standard was about a million percent higher than I was expecting too, seemed even higher than the exhibition match that was televised. Might be onto a winner!

any standouts?

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
how much better do the SANFL guernseys look than what they'll be lining up in for the comp?

real howler whoever signed off on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back