Rory Atkins
Rory Laird
Rory Sloane (10+ yrs)
Taylor Walker (9 yrs)
Tom Lynch

Contracted until end 2017

Andy Otten
Cameron Ellis-Yolmen
Dean Gore (Contract matched with previous Geelong deal).
Harrison Wigg
Hugh Greenwood
Jake Kelly
Jake Lever
Kyle Cheney
Mitch McGovern
Riley Knight (4+ years)
Sam Shaw
Scott Thompson (10+ years)
Tom Doedee

Unknown
Curtley Hampton
Harry Dear
Jonathon Beech (R)
Paul Seedsman
Paul Hunter (R)
Troy Menzel

Last edited by a moderator:
Mad Dog said:
Those I had no data for - help please !!

McGregor
Doughty
Torney
Skipworth
Bock
Jericho
Stevens

Some of the less charitable on this board would suggest that "photos", not "contracts" is the important word with a couple of these boys.;)

Druid said:
mcgregor could get a reasonable pay rise if he put himself on the open market bock too
Reading%20Test.jpg

Druid said:
Go for a swim *PAF, I hear the sharks are biting over there
Well, you must admit that your post was a few miles away from what the thread is about though. :p

outback jack said:
theres a article on afl.com that says that the now 26 yr old matthew bode (hes getting on isnt he) has been given a 1 yr contract after he has been through the 'toughest period of his life' after shoulder surgery.....

Thanks Jack - I'll edit my original post to include this

To keep the sharks at bay and to rule out the home sickness factor, should we be signing Knights, VB, Maric, Meeson now? Surely when you recruit a youngster you would expect them to get 4 years, unless disaster strikes, so why wait?

Thoughts?

SHORT-TERM CROWS STARS
By ANDREW CAPEL
03mar06

STAR Crows midfielders Andrew McLeod, Mark Ricciuto and Simon Goodwin might not be offered long-term contracts with the Adelaide Football Club this year amid concerns about their ageing bodies.

Under the Crows' player-contract policy, no player over 30 years old will be offered a deal longer than 12 months because of the club's physical guidelines.
"It has been our policy to do that," Crows chief executive Steven Trigg said.

McLeod, out of contract at the end of the season, wants to put pen to paper on a multi-year deal believing he has at least three more years of AFL football left in him.

But Adelaide yesterday indicated its star player and dual Norm Smith Medallist would be offered only a one-year deal.

McLeod's timing for a new contract - he is coming off a three-year deal worth about $1.5m which made him Adelaide's highest paid player - could not be worse. He turns 30 on August 4.

McLeod, who claims coach Neil Craig says he can play for another five years, yesterday said he was unaware of the Crows' policy.

"Being an older player it would be nice to have some long-term security," he said.

"Obviously I would like a long-term deal but it's up to the discretion of the club and if that's the way the contract is headed and I have to accept a shorter term, so be it.

"I don't want to be a football mercenary.

"I'll sit down with the club in due course to discuss it but I don't think the club will be silly either. I think they'll make sure they have the player's best interests at heart. I'll just have to make sure I play well this season."

McLeod, who still holds some hope of securing a two-year deal from Adelaide, says he wants to finish his career at West Lakes. He is not the only key Crows player seeking a new contract.

Captain Ricciuto, 30, and club champion Goodwin, who turns 30 on December 26, also are out of contract at the end of the season. The other member of Adelaide's star midfield quartet - Tyson Edwards - is signed beyond this year.

Ricciuto and Goodwin's manager, Justin Reid from Elite Sports Properties, said he understood the Crows' policy in re-signing players aged over 30 and he doesn't have a problem with it. He said players would still be rewarded for good form.

Dual premiership captain Mark Bickley, club legend Nigel Smart and current veterans Ben Hart and Matthew Clarke all signed one-year contracts when they hit 30. Several other clubs have similar policies.

Trigg said while he wanted to secure the long-term futures of his stars, contract negotiations with all Crows players were off until mid-April when he hoped clubs would have a better understanding of where the extra money from the $780m-a-year to be banked from the new television rights would be allocated.

"We're always conscious of our senior players and the need to have them secured," he said. "But our difficulty at the moment, which is shared by all clubs, is the great unknown in the TTP (total player payments) income in 2007-2008."

It is understood the AFLPA is seeking a rise in player wages of about 12 to 15 per cent whereas the AFL is understood to be thinking more in the four-to-five per cent region.

"We need some more clarity before we can start offering new contracts," Trigg said. "Hopefully we'll know something more early in the season." The clubs expect to be given a clearer indication at the next chief executives' meeting early next month.

Jerome said:
SHORT-TERM CROWS STARS
By ANDREW CAPEL
03mar06

STAR Crows midfielders Andrew McLeod, Mark Ricciuto and Simon Goodwin might not be offered long-term contracts with the Adelaide Football Club this year amid concerns about their ageing bodies.

Under the Crows' player-contract policy, no player over 30 years old will be offered a deal longer than 12 months because of the club's physical guidelines.
"It has been our policy to do that," Crows chief executive Steven Trigg said.

McLeod, out of contract at the end of the season, wants to put pen to paper on a multi-year deal believing he has at least three more years of AFL football left in him.

But Adelaide yesterday indicated its star player and dual Norm Smith Medallist would be offered only a one-year deal.

McLeod's timing for a new contract - he is coming off a three-year deal worth about $1.5m which made him Adelaide's highest paid player - could not be worse. He turns 30 on August 4.

McLeod, who claims coach Neil Craig says he can play for another five years, yesterday said he was unaware of the Crows' policy.

"Being an older player it would be nice to have some long-term security," he said.

"Obviously I would like a long-term deal but it's up to the discretion of the club and if that's the way the contract is headed and I have to accept a shorter term, so be it.

"I don't want to be a football mercenary.

"I'll sit down with the club in due course to discuss it but I don't think the club will be silly either. I think they'll make sure they have the player's best interests at heart. I'll just have to make sure I play well this season."

McLeod, who still holds some hope of securing a two-year deal from Adelaide, says he wants to finish his career at West Lakes. He is not the only key Crows player seeking a new contract.

Captain Ricciuto, 30, and club champion Goodwin, who turns 30 on December 26, also are out of contract at the end of the season. The other member of Adelaide's star midfield quartet - Tyson Edwards - is signed beyond this year.

Ricciuto and Goodwin's manager, Justin Reid from Elite Sports Properties, said he understood the Crows' policy in re-signing players aged over 30 and he doesn't have a problem with it. He said players would still be rewarded for good form.

Dual premiership captain Mark Bickley, club legend Nigel Smart and current veterans Ben Hart and Matthew Clarke all signed one-year contracts when they hit 30. Several other clubs have similar policies.

Trigg said while he wanted to secure the long-term futures of his stars, contract negotiations with all Crows players were off until mid-April when he hoped clubs would have a better understanding of where the extra money from the $780m-a-year to be banked from the new television rights would be allocated.

"We're always conscious of our senior players and the need to have them secured," he said. "But our difficulty at the moment, which is shared by all clubs, is the great unknown in the TTP (total player payments) income in 2007-2008."

It is understood the AFLPA is seeking a rise in player wages of about 12 to 15 per cent whereas the AFL is understood to be thinking more in the four-to-five per cent region.

"We need some more clarity before we can start offering new contracts," Trigg said. "Hopefully we'll know something more early in the season." The clubs expect to be given a clearer indication at the next chief executives' meeting early next month.

Good on Triggy and co. Apart from a few freaks ( Roo, Voss ) etc footballers, especially kpps, decline quite quickly once they hit 29 or 30. I think it is fraught with danger to offer 30 year old players 3 year contracts.

As for Macca, he should consider himself lucky. he has been the AFC's highest paid layer over the last 2 years, I don't recall seeing him wearing a gold jacket in that time. Actually, I would be interested to see where he has finished in the BF over the past 2 years, anyone know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SpringChoke said:
Good on Triggy and co. Apart from a few freaks ( Roo, Voss ) etc footballers, especially kpps, decline quite quickly once they hit 29 or 30. I think it is fraught with danger to offer 30 year old players 3 year contracts.

As for Macca, he should consider himself lucky. he has been the AFC's highest paid layer over the last 2 years, I don't recall seeing him wearing a gold jacket in that time. Actually, I would be interested to see where he has finished in the BF over the past 2 years, anyone know?

2005 4rd behind Nathan Bassett and the winner Simon Goodwin

www.afc.com.au said:
Goodwin, with 195 votes, was a comfortable winner from defenders Nathan Bassett (169) and Ben Rutten (166), defender/midfielder McLeod (164) and midfielders Tyson Edwards (155) and Ricciuto (148).

2004 2nd behind the winner Mark Ricciuto IIRC

crows98 said:
2005 4rd behind Nathan Bassett and the winner Simon Goodwin

2004 2nd behind the winner Mark Ricciuto IIRC

Correct - 4th and 4th. Only Macca and Tyson Edwards (3rd in 2004, 5th in 2005) have been in the top 5 both years, and Bassett, Roo and McGregor have been top 10 finishers both years.

marvin said:
Correct - 4th and 4th. Only Macca and Tyson Edwards (3rd in 2004, 5th in 2005) have been in the top 5 both years, and Bassett, Roo and McGregor have been top 10 finishers both years.

Is it 2nd or 4th in 2004? So what do you and Crows98 think of the decision?

SpringChoke said:

I said he finished 2nd as that what I can remember but could quite easily be wrong but I simply remember it that way because how high he finished and what everyone’s expectations were after the perception of his lousy year.

First half of 2004 he was looked disinterested and played absolutely lousy under Gary Ayres; it was not until Ayres was released and Neil Craig took over this his form and interest increased to his reliable self, after that he found some form or showed a lot more interest in his game and work ethic.

SpringChoke said:

about the contract:

I would offer him a 2-year contract extension as well as a 3rd year option. I would also have clauses in the contract that he must player a certain amount of games to receive the 3rd year.

I'd say he's earned his money.

I also think that the Crows management are right in not offering long term contracts to players aged 30+. The players aren't being shortchanged in terms of money, they just don't have the surety of a longer term contract.

McLeod has had a cloud over him for ages now concerning his knees. Somewhat surprisingly, he's been one of Adelaide's more durable players over the past few years in spite of that problem. How long he can keep going though is the question.

one must think of the pay out port apparantly made to mathew primus when he retired and for that reason it is a good policy of adelaide as long as internally it is handled well

mcleod has had issues with contracts before and it is natural to seek a long term deal at any age, let alone his.

i

Mad Dog said:
Please have a look at the opening post here......

Any updates you know of - please post them and I'll edit

fanx....:)
Gibson out of contract...

Should stay, has some potential, but can't string games together at this stage. Interestingly enough Norwood are 4-1 with Gibson in the team, and 4-6 without him... ;)

How many players will we be able to put on the veteran's list next season?

Ricciuto, Hart, Goodwin, Bassett, Edwards?

This might free up some room in the salary cap. Will there be the opportunity to throw some serious dollars at a big name recuit?

Carl Spackler said:
How many players will we be able to put on the veteran's list next season?

Ricciuto, Hart, Goodwin, Bassett, Edwards?

This might free up some room in the salary cap. Will there be the opportunity to throw some serious dollars at a big name recuit?

I think you can only have 2 players on the veterans list. Can anyone confirm this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back