List Mgmt. AFC Player Contracts - Updates Please

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure if they mentioned he wants to stay at West Lakes long term, but definitely verbally agreed to a new 2-year deal (till 2010), which is awesome :thumbsu:

I hope the 2 years instead of 3 years was his idea and not ours. If we are still only offering 2 year contracts then we have no one else to blame but ourselves when Vic kids want to go home.

I hope the 2 years instead of 3 years was his idea and not ours. If we are still only offering 2 year contracts then we have no one else to blame but ourselves when Vic kids want to go home.
what's crows policy again? players over 30 only sign 1 year deals? and everyone else 2? not sure if they do 3-year deals at the crows anymore.

Not sure who Knights' agent is, but Ricky Nixon is advising all of his clients not to sign beyond 2010, there's big money for those willing to go North.

OP updated to reflect the 7 re-signings announced this week. The OP hadn't been updated since Nov 2007, so all the info was obsolete and has now been replaced. Let me know if there's more contract info that I can include.

I've assumed that all our 2008 draftees were signed to the standard 2-year draftee contract - unlike Dangermouse who got 3-years in 2007 due to his decision to spend 2008 studying at home in Victoria.

What is Bock's contract status at the moment?
Not sure.

I've added Hentschel to the list as well, noting that he's on a 1-year contract this year.

I'm assuming that Gill is also on a 1-year contract. Can anyone confirm this? I know he was signed to a 1-year contract at the end of 2007 (while McGregor got 2), but I'm not sure what he got offered at the end of 2008.

The list of "knowns" is mostly our younger players and the veterans. The list currently contains 25 of our 40 senior & veteran listed players. Very little is known about the contractual status of our players aged between 20-26. Anyone with a good memory, feel free to fill in the gaps!

EDIT: Not helped by threads like this, which proudly trumpet VB's decision to re-sign with the club - but don't actually tell us the duration of the new contract!

Just on 5aa:

In negotiation: Edwards, Mcleod, Goodwin and Burton

Waiting to enter negotiation: Tippet, Douglas, Griffin and maybe one other

In the balance: Sellar, Reilly, Hentschel, Gill, Gallman, Shirley and maybe one other.

Just on 5aa:

In the balance: Sellar, Reilly, Hentschel, Gill, Gallman, Shirley and maybe one other.
Are all of these out of contract at the end of this year? Tippett & Shirley are both contracted for 2010....

Also interesting that they're negotiating with Burton. He's already contracted for 2010, 31 years of age - and we have no idea how good he'll be upon return from the knee injury. Are they negotiating for him to retire, given the development of our younger forwards?

Are all of these out of contract at the end of this year? Tippett & Shirley are both contracted for 2010....

Also interesting that they're negotiating with Burton. He's already contracted for 2010, 31 years of age - and we have no idea how good he'll be upon return from the knee injury. Are they negotiating for him to retire, given the development of our younger forwards?

Shirley surprised me because I thought he was contracted and we all know about Tippett, but I'm pretty sure Burton only received a 1 year contract at the end of last year covering him for this year, but that we were going to re-assess this year pending his recovery from his knee injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shirley surprised me because I thought he was contracted and we all know about Tippett, but I'm pretty sure Burton only received a 1 year contract at the end of last year covering him for this year, but that we were going to re-assess this year pending his recovery from his knee injury.
That's right.. he did too. I was surprised that it wasn't a 2-year deal - what was the point of a 1-year contract if he was only going to be able to play a handful of games? They needed to either bite the bullet and give him two, or (my preference at the time) delist him.

That's right.. he did too. I was surprised that it wasn't a 2-year deal - what was the point of a 1-year contract if he was only going to be able to play a handful of games? They needed to either bite the bullet and give him two, or (my preference at the time) delist him.

Don’t forget that they gave Rhett Biglands a 2 year contract and basically never played again.

With the GC 17 and WS 18 coming AFL lists are going to be in a very precariously place over the next few years, hypothetically if Burton was to do his knee again would the club be able to offer him another chance. I think they are just covering all bases and learn from the past

Just on 5aa:

In negotiation: Edwards, Mcleod, Goodwin and Burton...just denied on 5AA by John Reid...suggests that these may be later in the season!!

In negotiation: Edwards, Mcleod, Goodwin and Burton...just denied on 5AA by John Reid...suggests that these may be later in the season!!

Not surprising. I would have expected these to be negotiated after the season has ended. The players aren't going anywhere, except maybe into retirement - and at this age they need time to decide whether their bodies are up to going round again for another year.

Isn't a 2 year contract the norm? That's why AFC specifies that over-30s will ONLY get a 1 year contract, isn't it? I know some players get more - eg: Dangerfield and Tippett, but that's where negotiation is real, isn't it? When it is in the club's interest to lock a player at a specified salary for MORE than 2 years?

It's always possible to mutually agree to cancel, trade off or "under-the-table" a contract.

Isn't a 2 year contract the norm? That's why AFC specifies that over-30s will ONLY get a 1 year contract, isn't it? I know some players get more - eg: Dangerfield and Tippett, but that's where negotiation is real, isn't it? When it is in the club's interest to lock a player at a specified salary for MORE than 2 years?

It's always possible to mutually agree to cancel, trade off or "under-the-table" a contract.
Pretty much correct. 2 years is the norm - too much can go wrong with longer term contracts, just look at the trouble Essendon got themselves into.

The club's policy is for players aged 30+ to be given 1-year contracts. They've been known to get around it though, by signing multi-year contracts just days before a player's 30th birthday. This also makes sense, given how quickly the end can come for players at this age - just look at how Roo & Smart ended up.

3-year contracts are relatively rare, but they do happen. Dangermouse got one for two reasons. Firstly, they rated him extremely highly and couldn't even countenance the idea that he might be a flop. Secondly, he was spending 2008 at home in Moggs Creek while he finished his schooling - thus it was effectively a 2-year contract with a 1-year leave pass.

Tippett doesn't actually have a 3-year contract. It was a 2-year contract which they extended mid-contract. Unfortunately, he only agreed to a 1-year extension at the time. I have little doubt that the club will sign him up for a minimum of 2-3 years if/when he & his manager decide the time is right.

Don't wanna bring up my pet subject so soon after my return, but with the advent of GC17 and Tippett at least giving us some hope of staying, i was wondering the contract status of Brad Moran?

Our best ruck in 2009 and showing the most potential for the future (not counting the greater all-round potential of Tippett and McKernan of course).

His stocks have risen dramatically compared to the start of 09. Isn't a gun by any stretch but suddenly his loss could hurt us.

He also willingly took a huge pay cut on that 1 year contract, so now he seems to be back and (hopefully soon) firing, he'll get another year extension on a more deserving salary. So much could have gone wrong in the last year so the club rightly would have wanted to have the option of delisting him at this stage.

Nope.

Just on the delistings then;

this leaves Gallman, Gill and who?

Possibly one of the big 4?
I'd say if one of the big four do not retire (and I don't believe they will be given the arse), then between Shirley, Kite and Tom Lee.

Kite or Lee wouldn't surprise to be rookied.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back