Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Just a few observations.....

JJ - Did compete a bit better but couldn't catch a cold. Won't be back after last night if the coaches box was anything to go by.

Brown - Started slow but found his way and played a great 2nd half. Won't be straight back in, looked gassed at times.

Stengle - If only he'd finish his chances...... creates so many and is starting to really apply pressure. Can't be far away.

Jones - Speaking of not being far away, this kid is a class above that level. So composed, and the leg speed is impressive

Otten - Solid as a rock. Provides great leadership and coaching on field. Great break glass KPD option

McAdam - Much better than last week, looks so dangerous.

Neddy - Super player, we must get him in the senior side. Tackles, chases and is strong over the footy.

Wilson - We either play him now or we've marked his card. Just dominant.

Fogarty - Looks solid defensively but needs to stop the 35m passes particularly in the wet.

Hamill - Much much better. That laser foot was back. Does make DMac look obese though.

Hunter - Best game I've ever seen him play. His follow up efforts and attack on the footy made the league's best ruck look 2nd rate at times. Keep that up please.

Sholl - Never seen a guy keep up with Anthony Wilson like this kid did. Not getting quite as much of it as he was, but rarely wastes it.

Butts - Good old fashioned defender. Really like his intent to destroy the contest.

Strachan - Not quite sure why, but I like him. Neat enough skills for a big guy, moves alright too. Not sure he has a future at any higher level mind you

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
you've mentioned both Norwood's and Adelaide's coaches' boxes thoughts from the game - how'd you get your ear in both boxes? (not having a go or doubting, just asking)
It's never hard to hear the Norwood guys, they are the loudest talkers. Spent a lot of time down around their huddle during the breaks and down near their interchange box.

The thing about Norwood is both areas are extremely close to each other too. I was more toward the Crows side.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Worth noting that Panos didn't play for Norwood last night, not sure why though. He would have made a difference.

Then again so would have Myles.

Squiba

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sholl - Never seen a guy keep up with Anthony Wilson like this kid did. Not getting quite as much of it as he was, but rarely wastes it.

When you say kept up with, I assume that's through smart defensive positioning and not out and out leg speed? Scholl isn't slow from what I've seen, but from a limited sample size he'd be closer to Atkins for pace than the laserbeam which is Wilson.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Anyone ever put these games up online?

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Isn’t that also his problem? Even you’ve said his field kicking is poor when hitting up players over 40m and less. But did look good tonight.
I've also said his kicking has improved over the last 3 weeks in my match day comments a number of times....improved measurably. I don't know what's happened there or how or why but his improvement is plain to the eye with his short-medium kicking. If I had to guess it's so obvious I reckon someone's been working with him to make it a particular focus.

The stats don't lie, going at 83% Disposal Efficiency in 2019.

Worth noting also in that stat is the fact he's a "kicking" midfielder- Averaging 30.5 disposals in 2019 of which 19.2 are kicks.

His 2019 stats are very impressive indeed.

https://sanfl.com.au/league/clubs/adelaide/295964?league=sanfl&season=2019

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Have only ever seen Mcadams highlights, anyone who's seen him play regularly know about his forward pressure or link up ability?
Marty Mattner who coached him at Sturt spoke in glowing terms of his closing speed and pressure so I think you can safely say he has those bases covered when he's fit.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-10-11/shane-mcadams-rise-to-the-afl

“His initial objectives will be to try and get fit,” Mattner said.
“I think that’ll be his main focus – settling in, getting to know everyone but then working on his fitness is going to be his major goal I think.
“He worked really hard with his fitness this year, but I think if he can get to an AFL level of fitness he can then showcase his skills, his strengths and his attributes.”
McAdam’s highlights reel shows his freakish ability and massive upside, drawing comparisons with star forwards Eddie Betts and Cyril Rioli for the x-factor he brings whenever he goes near the Sherrin.
Mattner describes him as ‘a bit of everything’; a player with frenetic forward-line pressure that can take marks and kick goals.
“He can pressure, chase, tackle, but also he can kick goals, take hangers. He can take marks on the lead. He’s a very unique player,” Mattner said.
“At SANFL level and even at AFL level, there’s not many guys who can do what he does and that’s probably why he’s going to get the opportunity.”
Mattner is backing McAdam to give himself the best possible opportunity of an AFL debut in 2019.
“He’s a very easy person to coach because he’s got that natural talent, it’s just about putting him in the position to be able to show that talent,” Mattner said.
“If you work hard and dedicate to yourself to being an AFL footballer then I think you give yourself an opportunity.
“I think he’ll do everything he needs to do to give himself that opportunity to play AFL next year.”

Last edited:

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pleasing we at last get to see something of Chayce Jones in his natural habitat as a mid.

I’m not sure picking him and hiding him under the guise of being a small pressure forward did anything other than say “ look at us we’re playing our top pick too”

Play him and stick him in the guts - we already know he can dominate state league, was doing that last year

Chayce played predominantly on the wing in his last two AFL games, shame you missed them.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
When you say kept up with, I assume that's through smart defensive positioning and not out and out leg speed? Scholl isn't slow from what I've seen, but from a limited sample size he'd be closer to Atkins for pace than the laserbeam which is Wilson.
Bit of body but kept up reasonably well on legspeed

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Anyone ever put these games up online?
If you join up to the SANFL Digital Pass you can watch all SANFL games live bar those on Channel 7 and you can also replay all games from every round throughout the year whenever you like. Money well spent if you like watching our kids develop and the bonus is your SANFL club of choice get the funds.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

JJ - Did compete a bit better but couldn't catch a cold. Won't be back after last night if the coaches box was anything to go by.

Brown - Started slow but found his way and played a great 2nd half. Won't be straight back in, looked gassed at times.

Stengle - If only he'd finish his chances...... creates so many and is starting to really apply pressure. Can't be far away.

Jones - Speaking of not being far away, this kid is a class above that level. So composed, and the leg speed is impressive

Otten - Solid as a rock. Provides great leadership and coaching on field. Great break glass KPD option

Neddy - Super player, we must get him in the senior side. Tackles, chases and is strong over the footy.

Fogarty - Looks solid defensively but needs to stop the 35m passes particularly in the wet.

Hamill - Much much better. That laser foot was back. Does make DMac look obese though.

Hunter - Best game I've ever seen him play. His follow up efforts and attack on the footy made the league's best ruck look 2nd rate at times. Keep that up please.

Butts - Good old fashioned defender. Really like his intent to destroy the contest.

Strachan - Not quite sure why, but I like him. Neat enough skills for a big guy, moves alright too. Not sure he has a future at any higher level mind you
Can you elaborate on JJ and the coaches box?

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

LOL

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you join up to the SANFL Digital Pass you can watch all SANFL games live bar those on Channel 7 and you can also replay all games from every round throughout the year whenever you like. Money well spent if you like watching our kids develop and the bonus is your SANFL club of choice get the funds.
Was curious about the funds and where they go. Didn't look like there's a way to give the Crows the funds. Is there like any club in the SANFL that is really struggling financially? Might sign up for it but I dont live there so no allegiance to another team but wouldn't object to giving the kick back to a club thats not doing so well.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Was curious about the funds and where they go. Didn't look like there's a way to give the Crows the funds. Is there like any club in the SANFL that is really struggling financially? Might sign up for it but I dont live there so no allegiance to another team but wouldn't object to giving the kick back to a club thats not doing so well.
Most of them are struggling.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Someone closer to the SANFL might be able to fill you in better, my mail is Norwood are by far the wealthiest club, so anyone but them would be my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back