Analysis AFC SANFL 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilson with another big game..

Hamill is a speed machine and showed great balance and poise today.. definately a massive future.

Butts.. week in week out this lad just impresses.

Knight was pretty good.

Jones was alright.. and kicked an absolute ripper.

Mcadam had a bit of a dirty day but then ended up kicking goal of the game.. he still looks like he needs to build his tank further.

So i guess a general question.

Did anyone put their hand up?

I'm hearing Hammil - hes a HBF'r right?

Stengle played a bit in the midfield but did he do enough?

Fog 7 marks 9 kicks, sounds like he played a link man style match? Enough to warrant selection?

Butts - where does he even play
Seymour ideally plays the role Keath is, at this stage anyway.

He's certainly looking like a Hamish special.

We don't really know that though, he got one game at the G against Hawthorn where we got spanked.

He couldn't be worse than some out there.

You do though. You can see it when someone has the ability to transition to AFL or not just by the plays they make in the SANFL. Those little moments that tell you they've got the innate talent to make the jump up, or have the potential too with a bit more refinement.

I haven't watched much SANFL, but what I've seen, I don't rate Wilsons chances of making it at all. Mind you, it could be a good cultural selection and of course, you could have some lifespan of being limited but working really hard (the Matty Wrights of this world).

You do though. You can see it when someone has the ability to transition to AFL or not just by the plays they make in the SANFL. Those little moments that tell you they've got the innate talent to make the jump up.

I haven't watched much SANFL, but what I've seen, I don't rate Wilsons chances of making it at all. Mind you, it could be a good cultural selection and of course, you could have some lifespan of being limited but working really hard (the Matty Wrights of this world).
If they knew that last year then what was the point though ??

They might have thought there may be something there with another preseason. Or they just wanted an experienced body to help the SANFL team (which would also hold some value to our long term goals as improving the level of performance in the inside midfield would help players like Hamill/Sholl/Himmelberg etc shine).

They might have thought there may be something there with another preseason. Or they just wanted an experienced body to help the SANFL team (which would also hold some value to our long term goals as improving the level of performance in the inside midfield would help players like Hamill/Sholl/Himmelberg etc shine).
I think your 2nd point is the one. He's our Toumpas/Sutcliffe etc.

Top end picks, quality trading and a coach who appears to know what he's doing.

What? Top end picks is talent ID, trading was s**t, we overpaid and undersold and his position didn’t appoint coaches, the board does that. At Brisbane, he’s not Talent ID, the coach was employed before he was and their trading is evens at present. Brisbane will flatline because Noble will have infested the footy culture with his anti-ruthlessness and patented stat-o-matic system. Nothing more certain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? Top end picks is talent ID, trading was s**t, we overpaid and undersold and his position didn’t appoint coaches, the board does that. At Brisbane, he’s not Talent ID, the coach was employed before he was and their trading is evens at present. Brisbane will flatline because Noble will have infested the footy culture with his anti-ruthlessness and patented stat-o-matic system. Nothing more certain.
Noble is a good operator when put in his comfort zone.

Has to take some of the credit for their upturn in form.

They do an assessment of how deep they cut in determining list positions.

If they cut Wilson last year, our last draft selection was Lochie Sholl at 64.

Delist another player (Wilson) we're replacing them with a pick beyond that pick somewhere. And would that pick have a higher probability of making the grade than Wilson?

The draft finished at pick 78. And of the selections after ours, 9 were "live" selections the rest were father sons and NGA academy selections.

Sometimes you're better holding what you have compared to what's left on the board. If we had no-one left on our list there's not much to be gained out of taking a pick for the sake of it.

If he didn't tell the club about his issues, when we traded for him. Can we fire him or sue him? Refuse to pay him?
Unlikely but we should sue Carlton. They definitely knew. The Afl should adopt regulation if it isn't already that clubs need to have open disclosure of any player issues during a trade. I know the players association would against that but clubs need to be protected. It was well known around the general football industry that Carlton had a gambling problem of which BG was part of. If the crows knew of this which i presume they did and still went ahead with the trade then the crows were doubly negligent in what they gave up. His ex manager was working at our club so I am sure they were well versed in his issues.

Last edited:
Wrong!

David Noble was appointed before the Coach Chris Fagan, in fact he was part of the panel that selected Chris Fagan. Noble also appointed Brisbane's new list manager Dom Ambrogio to replace Peter Schwabb who looks to be doing an excellent job bringing Luke Hodge to the club to mentor their young list along with trading/recruiting Lachie Neale to replace Dayne Beams, Charlie Cameron and what's looking to be a masterstroke nabbed Lincoln McCarthy from the Cats. Add the talented defender Marcus Adams who they recruited last year who has just recovered from injury and played his 1st AFL game for them today.

And it's pretty clear you don't follow the Brisbane Lions very closely because they have some of the very best young talent in the country already playing top level AFL footy in Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Cameron Rayner, Zac Bailey and Noah Answerth.

Queueing up in the NEAFL they have a plethora of top young talent like Cedric Cox, Ben Keays, Connor McFadyen, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Connor Ballenden, Toby Wooller, Brandon Starcevic etc as well as players like Mathieson, Taylor, Christensen etc that would get games at some other AFL clubs. Their NEAFL team which compromises of mostly young players is absolutely dominating the NEAFL with a 12 - 0 record and a "handy" percentage of a measly 242%, the 2nd team on the ladder Southport's percentage is 116%.

Brisbane will not be flatlining anytime soon, and I have close contacts that know several of their talented young players and they couldn't re-sign quick enough with the culture Chris Fagan and David Noble have instilled into the club since their arrival. Their on field success reflects this. Player retention was previously their problem under Voss and Leppitsch.....no longer.

Last edited:
Wrong!

David Noble was appointed before the Coach Chris Fagan, in fact he was part of the panel that selected Chris Fagan. Noble also appointed Brisbane's new list manager Dom Ambrogio tp replace Peter Schwabb who looks to be doing an excellent job bringing Luke Hodge to the club to mentor their young list along with trading/recruiting Lachie Neale to replace Dayne Beams, Charlie Cameron and what's looking to be a masterstroke nabbed Lincoln McCarthy from the Cats. Add the talented defender Marcus Adams who they recruited last year who has just recovered from injury and played his 1st AFL game for them today.

And it's pretty clear you don't follow the Brisbane Lions very closely because they have some of the very best young talent in the country already playing top level AFL footy in Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Cameron Rayner, Zac Bailey and Noah Answerth.

Queueing up in the NEAFL they have a plethora of top young talent like Cedric Cox, Ben Keays, Connor McFadyen, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Connor Ballenden, Toby Wooller, Brandon Starcevic etc as well as players like Mathieson, Taylor, Christensen etc that would get games at some other AFL clubs. Their NEAFL team which compromises of mostly young players is absolutely dominating the NEAFL with a 12 - 0 record and a "handy" percentage of a measly 242%, the 2nd team on the ladder Southport's percentage is 116%.

Brisbane will not be flatlining anytime soon, and I have close contacts that know several of their talented young players and they couldn't re-sign quick enough with the culture Chris Fagan and David Noble have instilled into the club since their arrival. Their on field success reflects this.
So how have they changed the culture so quickly?

Wrong!

David Noble was appointed before the Coach Chris Fagan, in fact he was part of the panel that selected Chris Fagan. Noble also appointed Brisbane's new list manager Dom Ambrogio tp replace Peter Schwabb who looks to be doing an excellent job bringing Luke Hodge to the club to mentor their young list along with trading/recruiting Lachie Neale to replace Dayne Beams, Charlie Cameron and what's looking to be a masterstroke nabbed Lincoln McCarthy from the Cats. Add the talented defender Marcus Adams who they recruited last year who has just recovered from injury and played his 1st AFL game for them today.

Brisbane will not be flatlining anytime soon, and I have close contacts that know several of their talented young players and they couldn't re-sign quick enough with the culture Chris Fagan and David Noble have instilled into the club since their arrival. Their on field success reflects this. Player retention was previously their problem under Voss and Leppitsch.....no longer.
Spot on and excellent write up on the Lions .

Fagan, Noble and Hodge the major players, former Crows player and staffer Andrew Crowell also a big part in his role as Player welfare Manager.
Obviously some quality ppl, but more specifically what things have they put into place / changed that has taken it from an (assumidly) poor environment to a place they want to stay? It's not winning, that's a outcome of it

They replaced incompetent people with competent people
From memory the AFL were very heavily involved at getting Noble too Brisbane weren't they? Not sure how, but i'd say there were some pretty fleshy extra incentives to all parties to get that deal done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back