Analysis AFC SANFL 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because you need others doing the same but we don’t have them . There is ver few movements in waves

Oh man, I'm just amazed someone actually rates the fraud that is David Mackay.

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh man, I'm just amazed someone actually rates the fraud that is David Mackay.

Same poster was the only one constantly calling for Brodie Martin's return to the AFL side back when he was still on the list - as if he was a hidden star of sorts.

Same poster was the only one constantly calling for Brodie Martin's return to the AFL side back when he was still on the list - as if he was a hidden star of sorts.

After 3 broken legs if I recall.

I haven't seen a worse judge of talent, but eh, he keeps hitting new depths.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Stop over rating our squad. McHenry and the Bull are the only two players that really showed something
I'd like to know how much more you think as pick 64 in the 2018 AFL Natonal Draft Lachlan Sholl and pick 39 in the 2018 AFL Rookie draft Jordan Butts could have done for you to consider them as "really showed something" ?

Given both were speculative picks and long term project players I thought they've shown some real AFL traits for the future.....I must be a bad judge I guess.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Reckon if Dunstall watched today's game he would form an opinion if the squad coming through

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I reckon he would have been thinking thank * the Hawks didn't draft that Jonty Scharenberg fella....

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
First year with the SANFL live pass. Worked well enough. Good to follow some of the younger lads. Reckon the season went on a bit too long for a few of them.

Todays game was good experience for them. Im just happy we got a few finals games into the likes of Chayce and got to see Ned again.

One highlight in the finals games for me was McAdam. Had great presence and took some nice marks/kicked classy goals. Stayed in the games longer and looked fitter.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just checked out Connor Rozee’s SANFL stats from last year. He played 12 games and averaged 12.8 touches and only kicked 11 goals. Didn’t dominate matches and clearly not good enough for AFL. Port would do well to delist.

Honestly, how anyone could watch today’s game and not come away being optimistic about some of the young guys is beyond me. Will they all become stars? No. But Jesus, you’re a sad individual if you couldn’t muster at least some enthusiasm from today’s performance.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just checked out Connor Rozee’s SANFL stats from last year. He played 12 games and averaged 12.8 touches and only kicked 11 goals. Didn’t dominate matches and clearly not good enough for AFL. Port would do well to delist.

Honestly, how anyone could watch today’s game and not come away being optimistic about some of the young guys is beyond me. Will they all become stars? No. But Jesus, you’re a sad individual if you couldn’t muster at least some enthusiasm from today’s performance.
Was rozzee 16 or 17 last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was rozzee 16 or 17 last year

He was 18. Hamill, Scholl, McHenry, Jones all born in the same year. Fogarty, Butts, McPherson are all only 6 months older... if Rozee, who is a potential top 5 player in the comp struggled to consistently perform in a team that would become the Premiers, I think we can cut some slack to our young guys who play in a side comprised of yet more young guys plus 6-8 amateurs.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was 18. Hamill, Scholl, McHenry, Jones all born in the same year. Fogarty, Butts, McPherson are all only 6 months older... if Rozee, who is a potential top 5 player in the comp struggled to consistently perform in a team that would become the Premiers, I think we can cut some slack to our young guys who play in a side comprised of yet more young guys plus 6-8 amateurs.
I have said fog Jones mchenry all need developing

Even you say it

Yet the majority of the board want them to play AFL yet they are struggling with the bigger stronger bodies in the SANFL, how do you think that would work out

I'm bagging the selection of say gooch or pohlkoke when we could have had a couple of great SA lads one who's old man played in the SANFL and actually went a long way to costing us a premiership but more the fact we need to look at SA talent first and foremost

If anyone tells me we have improved since losing Rendell they have rocks in their head we have gone backwards

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

They played most of the year together, they played 2 good finals and 1 ok one. Thats the basis of a good senior side

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have said fog Jones mchenry all need developing

Even you say it

Yet the majority of the board want them to play AFL yet they are struggling with the bigger stronger bodies in the SANFL, how do you think that would work out

I'm bagging the selection of say gooch or pohlkoke when we could have had a couple of great SA lads one who's old man played in the SANFL and actually went a long way to costing us a premiership but more the fact we need to look at SA talent first and foremost

If anyone tells me we have improved since losing Rendell they have rocks in their head we have gone backwards

The whole going after SA talent thing is mostly garbage... because most of the lads drafted from SA in the last decade have ended up being mostly garbage. Obviously our young guys need to develop, but they should have been doing a lot more of that in the senior side. Yes, they would be inconsistent but see Fog and Jones in the last few games and O’Brien’s whole year. Given opportunities they would have performed at least on a par with our older guys. As you say, we have gone backwards. I’d argue that’s because of a selection policy which kept the faith with a bunch of older players who we should have moved on over the last few years. A forward line next year consisting of Walker, Fogarty, McAdam, McHenry, Stengle etc. is a damn sight more exciting than the one we had this year. Will it translate into immediate success? Probably not. But I wager there will be improvement and I’m hopeful it can lead to bigger and better things.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The whole going after SA talent thing is mostly garbage... because most of the lads drafted from SA in the last decade have ended up being mostly garbage. Obviously our young guys need to develop, but they should have been doing a lot more of that in the senior side. Yes, they would be inconsistent but see Fog and Jones in the last few games and O’Brien’s whole year. Given opportunities they would have performed at least on a par with our older guys. As you say, we have gone backwards. I’d argue that’s because of a selection policy which kept the faith with a bunch of older players who we should have moved on over the last few years. A forward line next year consisting of Walker, Fogarty, McAdam, McHenry, Stengle etc. is a damn sight more exciting than the one we had this year. Will it translate into immediate success? Probably not. But I wager there will be improvement and I’m hopeful it can lead to bigger and better things.
SA talent at every opportunity

Gooch or Hayward
Pohlkoke or Graham

I could name more but let's see if you're honest about those first

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
SA talent at every opportunity

Gooch or Hayward
Pohlkoke or Graham

I could name more but let's see if you're honest about those first

I’ve actually done this before - I’m pretty sure in response to you - but going back over the past 10-15 years, had we picked the “best” SA talent that was still available in the draft instead of who we did, we would have a team so dire that we’d make Gold Coast look good.

I will grant you that you’d almost certainly choose to have Hayward and Graham on our list instead of Gooch and Poholke, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that there are young guys on our list who we should be feeling optimistic about.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’ve actually done this before - I’m pretty sure in response to you - but going back over the past 10-15 years, had we picked the “best” SA talent that was still available in the draft instead of who we did, we would have a team so dire that we’d make Gold Coast look good.

I will grant you that you’d almost certainly choose to have Hayward and Graham on our list instead of Gooch and Poholke, but that still doesn’t negate the fact that there are young guys on our list who we should be feeling optimistic about.
My point was when two players are similar we should go local every time we had over 20 SA lads on 97 98 in the squad and port had stacks in their premiership year West coast had 13 or 14 last year.

Hayward and Graham weren't even close ogilvie went too cute with gooch and pohlkoke

The board talk about going after luko why not go after Walsh pretty obvious reason why

Port saw it last year and traded up to get rozzee

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts after yesterday's game.

Glenelg played really good footy. Their midfield was excellent. Stuck tackles all day and were excellent by foot. Their forwards were nailing their marks and kicking for goal. The crows ran out of puff but it's hard to be disappointed when the opp were that good against a fair few undersized teenagers.

Fog was the shining light for me. Finished the year strongly and proved a lot of people wrong (even on here) by showing he can play in multiple positions. Just a class act with exceptional skills. The type of player that will rise to the occasion, which is refreshing.

Scholl was also quite good despite fading out late. He'll be a player I reckon. Calm with the ball and excellent skills on both sides. A class player that we need.

I was critical of Mchenry in the first half but he came out in the 3rd and had some good moments. Seems assured when he has the ball in close and is quite nippy. Uses the ball well. He'll be a good player I reckon. Needs some more size but can play next year.

Macadam seems to make things happen when the ball in in his area. Really good hands and good on the lead. Think he can be a handy forward. Would like him to show a bit more intensity.

Jones looked like an overawed kid in his first time playing seniors, which is strange considering he was doing well in the tassie seniors a year younger and smaller. Looked out of sorts and down on confidence. Hopefully has a big pre season and puts on a bit of size.

Hamill I liked as well. Him and Scholl could turn out to be high quality mid to late picks from that draft. Again, has great skills and takes the game on. Think he's too small to play next year though. Real skinny.

Still haven't seen anything special in Butts. I've only watched a handful of sanfl games though. Future backline is a worry considering Keath is likely to leave and Hartigan is still there. Hope he comes on.

Poholke won't make it imo. At least gooch has some stand out traits. Poholke is a good sanfl player but is relatively slow and good skills are just okay. Very indecisive and lacks penetration by foot.

Still not ready to call time on gooch. Struggles at half forward. Misses tackles which irks me. Think he just needs to be kept in the middle next year.

Stengle is a clever player in a similar mould to betts. Really like him. Makes things happen and is so elusive. Think we'll do well with that trade one he builds his tank.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Our last 10 year's of National Draft picks... If we'd gone SA talent, instead of who we picked.

Aside from 2016, we have got the selection of interstate vs. SA pretty much right.

2016 could have yielded us Hayward, Lewis Young & Willie Rioli instead of Gallucci, Poholke & Himmelberg. Some may debate that the verdict is still out on these, anyway.

Score +3

TICK... Pick 13 - Talia --> next SA lad chosen was Christian Howard
TICK... Pick 29 - Gunston --> next SA lad chosen was Justin Bollenhagen
TICK... Pick 45 - Shaw --> next SA lad chosen was Justin Bollenhagen
Pick 61 - Craig (SA)

Score +1

Pick 14 - Smith (SA)
TICK... Pick 61 - Lyons --> next SA lad chosen was Luke Davis

Score +1

TICK... Pick 27 - Kerridge --> next SA lad chosen was Alex Forster
Pick 41 - Grigg (SA)
Pick 46 - Joyce (SA)
Pick 64 - Ellis-Yolmen (SA)

Score 0

CROSS... Pick 62 - Siggins --> next SA lad chosen was Kaiden Brand
TICK... Pick 81 - Atkins --> no further SA lads chosen

Score +1

TICK... Pick 23 - M. Crouch --> next SA lad chosen was Sam Lemmens
Pick 46 - Knight (SA)

Score 0

TICK... Pick 14 - Lever --> next SA lad chosen was Sam Durdin
Pick 35 - Wigg (SA)
CROSS... Pick 43 - McGovern --> next SA lad chosen was Caleb Daniel
PAR... Pick 58 - Dear --> no further SA lads chosen

Score 0

Pick 11 - Milera (SA)
PAR... Pick 17 - Doedee --> next SA lad chosen was Ryan Burton

Score -3

CROSS... Pick 15 - Gallucci --> next SA lad chosen was Will Hayward
CROSS... Pick 44 - Poholke --> next SA lad chosen was Lewis Young
CROSS... Pick 51 - Himmelberg --> next SA lad chosen was Willie Rioli (Glenelg)
PAR... Pick 62 - Signorello --> no further SA lads chosen
PAR... Pick 75 - Davis --> no further SA lads chosen

Score 0

Pick 12 - Fogarty (SA)
Pick 40 - McPherson (SA)

Score +1

PAR... Pick 9 - Jones --> next SA lad chosen was Jackson Hately
PAR... Pick 16 - McHenry --> next SA lad chosen was Jez McLennan
PAR... Pick 30 - Hamill --> next SA lad chosen was Luke Valente
TICK... Pick 64 - Sholl --> next SA lad chosen was Darcy Fort (Centrals)

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our last 10 year's of National Draft picks... If we'd gone SA talent, instead of who we picked.

Aside from 2016, we have got the selection of interstate vs. SA pretty much right.

2016 could have yielded us Hayward, Lewis Young & Willie Rioli instead of Gallucci, Poholke & Himmelberg. Some may debate that the verdict is still out on these, anyway.

Score +3

Pick 61 - Craig (SA)

Score +1

Pick 14 - Smith (SA)

Score +1

Pick 41 - Grigg (SA)
Pick 46 - Joyce (SA)

Score 0

Score +1

Pick 46 - Knight (SA)

Score 0

Pick 35 - Wigg (SA)

Score 0

Pick 11 - Milera (SA)

Score -3

Score 0

Pick 12 - Fogarty (SA)
Pick 40 - McPherson (SA)

Score +1

Nice work. Which year was it that Jonty Schoenberg was supposed to be the first SA kid drafted?

So it’s only one draft where we’ve chosen poorly.

Plus you just have to look at our State of Origin side to see the lack of quality.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Score +3

Pick 61 - Craig (SA)

Score +1

Pick 14 - Smith (SA)

Score +1

Pick 41 - Grigg (SA)
Pick 46 - Joyce (SA)

Score 0

Score +1

Pick 46 - Knight (SA)

Score 0

Pick 35 - Wigg (SA)

Score 0

Pick 11 - Milera (SA)

Score -3

Score 0

Pick 12 - Fogarty (SA)
Pick 40 - McPherson (SA)

Score +1

That's really not how I want them to pick SA talent obviously around 60% of draftees come from Vico but in West Coasts case 13 or 14 were from WA 26 or 27 from non WA

You pick the SA talent when its compaorable or better

Its up to the guys getting the big bucks to work that one out, but SA talent should be in the front of their brain for the obvious reasons, if you like Ill name the obvious reasons, Gunston Danger Cameron Lever

Lets start with the U/16 Cpatain U18 Captain U18 AA and Larke medallist and whos father palyed SANFL footy meaning he has it in his blood,Jack Graham yes he was one I wanted selected for obvious reasons he was available at the Pohlkoke pick, what happened, or even as you said Lewis Young

Hayward over Gooch

EH over Rioli (that might not be too bad considering what Rioli has done just done)

Last years draft too early to tell in the hindsight look, as Mchenry and Jones clearly need filling out although everyone wants to throw them into the AFL in their first year, regardless of their obvious size and strength shortcomings go figure

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2014
Top End of Aussie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Nice work. Which year was it that Jonty Schoenberg was supposed to be the first SA kid drafted?

So it’s only one draft where we’ve chosen poorly.

Plus you just have to look at our State of Origin side to see the lack of quality.
Good one EC
You know the year and surely you know how to spell Shazenberg :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back