Opinion AFC - Time Capsule - 2016 (AFC SUPPORTERS ONLY)

In what years do you think the AFC will genuinely challenge for a premiership?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

My Big improvers list was a bit of a bust:oops: Although I did mention Doedee. Even if it was 12 months too soon.
Thomo didn’t quite come through for me.
Talia a rebound defender??.......well at least Sloaney proved me right in the first half of the season.

And for those still bagging Lyons....He was a required player who was lost amongst the Gibbs wheeling and dealing. His 2017 season was outstanding for the Suns. Anyone who says different is trying to rewrite history. Some posters conveniently forget how good his final season was at Adelaide.

Lyons would have been a locked in Carltons best 21 if they had picked him up. Foolish decision.

My Big improvers list was a bit of a bust:oops: Although I did mention Doedee. Even if it was 12 months too soon.
Thomo didn’t quite come through for me.
Talia a rebound defender??.......well at least Sloaney proved me right in the first half of the season.

And for those still bagging Lyons....He was a required player who was lost amongst the Gibbs wheeling and dealing. His 2017 season was outstanding for the Suns. Anyone who says different is trying to rewrite history. Some posters conveniently forget how good his final season was at Adelaide.

No. Calling Lyons a required player at Adelaide is the definition of rewriting history, as everything we did in that trade period showed the exact opposite. Required players aren't low-balled at low money (and lets be real here, Lyons wouldn't have been gunning for 5-600k seeing he'd have been lucky to be on much more then base pay to start off with), nor are they given away for practically nothing. To say that we were only interested in keeping Lyons if it was heavily weighted in our favour, and by extension, didn't care at all if he left is a much more apt way of putting it. That certainly isn't a required player. The Gibbs argument also falls flat, as if he was required, you find a way. There are plenty of others to delist, force out, or you go even shorter on your list if you have too.

The short of it is we never valued Lyons. To us, he was depth that performed admirably in his last season, but was a player we had no interest in persisting with despite that (as how we acted that off-season befits a player like this). From that alone we can very safely assume he would have inevitably been transitioned to depth again and been delisted by the end of his next contract (I'm well aware it happened at GC, though that looks more internal politics) had he stayed with us. To double down on this, we do also have a coach who favors leg speed above all else, and we couldn't hide Lyon in any position which masks that issue seeing the road blocks in them (Crouch, KPs etc). As bad of a list situation as they come.

Jarryd deserves full credit for saving his career that season, because it gave him a way out of Adelaide. It didn't hurt Adelaide that we lost him however, as his main niche was already filled, it allowed us to pump games into Milera, and eventually use Knight as a 2nd defensive small. It could be seen as a win/win decision really, saved a career of someone who deserved saving, and allowed the club to not pay someone they didn't value thus putting less strain of a very important resource whilst pumping games into much more vital prospects.

No. Calling Lyons a required player at Adelaide is the definition of rewriting history, as everything we did in that trade period showed the exact opposite. Required players aren't low-balled at low money (and lets be real here, Lyons wouldn't have been gunning for 5-600k seeing he'd have been lucky to be on much more then base pay to start off with), nor are they given away for practically nothing. To say that we were only interested in keeping Lyons if it was heavily weighted in our favour, and by extension, didn't care at all if he left is a much more apt way of putting it. That certainly isn't a required player. The Gibbs argument also falls flat, as if he was required, you find a way. There are plenty of others to delist, force out, or you go even shorter on your list if you have too.

The short of it is we never valued Lyons. To us, he was depth that performed admirably in his last season, but was a player we had no interest in persisting with despite that (as how we acted that off-season befits a player like this). From that alone we can very safely assume he would have inevitably been transitioned to depth again and been delisted by the end of his next contract (I'm well aware it happened at GC, though that looks more internal politics) had he stayed with us. To double down on this, we do also have a coach who favors leg speed above all else, and we couldn't hide Lyon in any position which masks that issue seeing the road blocks in them (Crouch, KPs etc). As bad of a list situation as they come.

Jarryd deserves full credit for saving his career that season, because it gave him a way out of Adelaide. It didn't hurt Adelaide that we lost him however, as his main niche was already filled, it allowed us to pump games into Milera, and eventually use Knight as a 2nd defensive small. It could be seen as a win/win decision really, saved a career of someone who deserved saving, and allowed the club to not pay someone they didn't value thus putting less strain of a very important resource whilst pumping games into much more vital prospects.
I think you conveniently forget the quality of his first season for the Suns after a slow start due to injury.
To say we lost nothing is perhaps forgetting the painful last half of 2017 for Sloane with his problems facing the tag.
I believe someone like Lyons who had a even better 2017 than his previous year at the Crows could have taken some pressure off in the middle. I still say he was the best extractor of the ball in his time at the Crows. He also had the ability to play forward and take some good contested marks.

There were occasions in 2016 when he would stream forward from the centre delivering on the chest of a leading forward. We saw him do this when other more accomplished mids were struggling to make an impact.

I remember many BF posters begrudgingly praising his season. That is until we low balled him and then they jumped straight back on the whipping boy express.

“low balling” seems to be standard practice for the Crows when negotiating new contracts so I wouldn’t claim that as proof of his worth to the club at that time.

Just as an aside I wonder what may have been had we both Gibbs and Lyons in 2017 considering their form that season. They were both outstanding.

This post will be edited after the draft.

• Considering the profile of our list, we performed just as expected in 2016. We will plateau in 2017 as we give games to a bunch of up and comers, then will go bang in 2018 and 2019. - WRONG
  • Our 2016 offseason has been somewhat dubious overall. We have said we would improve our midfield, but we have not done so. This will haunt us in 2017, but not in the future. - RIGHT AND WRONG
  • Not getting Gibbs for that particular price was the right move. It didn't matter whether we got Barlow or not (would have been nice, but wouldn't have been the difference maker towards a 2017 premiership). - RIGHT AND WRONG
  • Greenwood, Doedee, Knight and Milera will all get games in 2017, but won't have that much of an impact. All four will break out in 2018. - WRONG
  • Atkins will lift his disposal count in 2017 in an Andrew Gaff-like role, and will really start to become noticed around the comp. - KINDA RIGHT
  • Hampton, CEY and Wigg will not make it. - 2/3 RIGHT
  • Dear will move to Victoria after receiving sporadic opportunity, even though he will have showed a lot of promise. - WRONG
  • Tom Doedee will play 250 games for the club in an Easton Wood/Corey Enright-like role. Will be considered a master stroke by Ogilvie. - HOPEFULLY RIGHT
  • On that subject, Hamish Ogilvie is the best head recruiter in the land, and will be the benchmark of talent identification in 5 years. - POSSIBLY RIGHT
  • Taylor Walker will captain the club until he's 30, to allow Jake Lever to take over. - LMAO WROOOONG
  • Charlie Cameron will be an AA wingman, as will Milera. - PROBABLY WRONG
  • Scott Thompson should have retired this year, and the club will realise that early next year - RIGHT
  • Jordan Gallucci will become an important cog in the Crows' best 22, as will Myles Poholke. - WRONG
  • Don Pyke, if and when he gains more wisdom and coaching nous, will take us to the promised land. - CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR
Yeah I didn't do well lol

Back