Prediction AFC to merge with Norwood

Remove this Banner Ad

And the Bath hotel was going become the club rooms, Macca was coming back to take training, Aish the forward coach and David Payne as the groundsman, with coffees supplied by one of the Parade Cafe's, this will be superb and on top of that they are bring back the old Pie Cart to out front of the ground
And Keith Thomas to retain his role as our publicity manager

I don’t want to know your suburb, your house address please, I’m coming over

Stone the blasphemer.
Anyone knows the Parade is the most glorious piece of turf in the cosmos.

And that so called wall of death was specifically Build to sort out the wheat from the chaff. It’s the secret weapon.

http://m.afc.com.au/news/2018-12-05/club-statement-training-facility

The Adelaide Football Club would like to make the following statement in the wake of public speculation about the Club's training base.

"Our Club has a long-term lease and a world-class training facility at West Lakes, including a playing surface maintained to an elite standard.

"However, as we have stated many times in recent years, we consider it good and standard business practice to keep an eye on the future and gather information accordingly.

"To suggest there has been a formal application or approach is incorrect."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what does this mean? Note I’m interstate so don’t get any of the local commentary.
Nothing much, just saying that even if they have been looking at sites, they haven't made any offers or have been made any offers. I think they're just trying to keep it as hush hush as possible so a resistance to the idea can't be mounted before they've even locked anything down.

All of the inner city suburban ovals come with issues.

Thebarton is large, but is an amateurs ground, appointed like an amateurs ground

City Mazda is also large with space to spare, but is completely detached from public transport, and is appointed little better than Thebarton.

Norwood has stands and an impending tram line, but is a squished ground with no room for expansion, hemmed in by heritage listed buildings.

Unley Oval is ok, but the tram line for it is further away physically and temporally, would require taking over the tennis and bowls clubs to the south to make an AFL grade oval, and AFLW would collide with the summer tenant, grade cricket.

Prospect Oval is already a decent size surface area, but there's no room to work with beyond that due to houses and an aged care complex, and the very long term Prospect tram line is still a walk through suburbia away.

Any other oval/park area of sufficient size is going to be owned by a school or a local council, and like with Kensington Oval, they're highly likely to tell us and the AFL to take a hike.

There are no short term solutions, they'll be at West Lakes for quite some time to come yet.

Nothing wrong with Norwood the suburb. Even considered living there. But this fantasy that Norwood oval is in someway special is funny. It's special alright though. It's got a brick wall of death on the western boundary and easily the worst outer in the SANFL. The oval itself is like a roller coaster and stinks of god knows what. Only rose-coloured glasses make it anything better than any other SANFL ground.

This!

There isn't much going in Norwood's favour to be honest.

Parking is a nightmare no matter how early you get to the ground.

Food/drink options at the ground are limited, especially when compared to other grounds. Even the BBQ (when it's opened) is substandard compared to other SANFL grounds.

Spectator facilities are appalling. Terrible vantage points in the outer, and I'm amazed the toilet facilities (outside of the western stand) haven't been condemned by the council.

The brick wall - enough said

Norwood is just a terrible ground.

Nothing much, just saying that even if they have been looking at sites, they haven't made any offers or have been made any offers. I think they're just trying to keep it as hush hush as possible so a resistance to the idea can't be mounted before they've even locked anything down.

They need indicative approval at a city council level prior to getting indicative funding approval from the state government. Once that's in place then you can start getting serious about the project.

This!

There isn't much going in Norwood's favour to be honest.

Parking is a nightmare no matter how early you get to the ground.

Food/drink options at the ground are limited, especially when compared to other grounds. Even the BBQ (when it's opened) is substandard compared to other SANFL grounds.

Spectator facilities are appalling. Terrible vantage points in the outer, and I'm amazed the toilet facilities (outside of the western stand) haven't been condemned by the council.

The brick wall - enough said

Norwood is just a terrible ground.
You can buy Cooper's there though, so it's not all bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back