Opinion AFC's 2018 Dead Rubber Experiments

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well 2018 has not been fun, and whilst we all love being in the 'mathematical chance' boat, even the most optimistic of Crows fans must know the finals dream is now over.

With this in mind I, like many in here, have firmly shifted my interest from winning, to list management. And with 4 dead rubber games ahead of us we have a very good chance to throw the magnets to some weird and wonderful places. See what we have, and see if we can't open up some structural/personnel improvements going into next year to make us more competitive.

So the challenge is simple. Give me your top 3 dead rubber experiments for the remaining 4 games of 2018. Bring in anyone, drop anyone, change anyone's position, create new structures around people. There's literally no limitations or wrong answers in this exersize... just idea's!

For me;
1) Sauce out, JJ in First Ruck, Himmelberg in 2nd Ruck/Forward (I know i've banged on about this in other posts, so sorry for the repeat train of thought to all those who have already read it). For me fixing our tall forwards structure/ruck situation needs to be priority #1, and preferably before we get to the trade table. Its not getting any easier in 2019 with FOG, Berg, and potentially a new draftee that may or may not rhyme with Shmack Shushmosious coming on.
2) Speed through the Midfield. Knight, Gooch, and Milera would be my first choices to get MANY more minutes. I am just am sick of the monotonous 1 paced Crows midfield. We drafted these kids for this reason and they are ready, and even if they're not, the minutes will make them more ready next year.
3) Greenwood/Gov owning the 50m arch. If we are going to persist with this ridiculous bombing the ball in long to a pack, why not bomb it to guys who can actually take a freaken contested mark? Tex, JJ, Lynch need to clear out of the 50m arch and try letting these 2 work in unison!

That's my dead rubber wish list. Looking forward to seeing all of yours.

Talia, Tex and Sloane to sit out the rest of the year. Get them right for 2019.

McGovern into the backline.

Gallucci into the midfield.

Jacobs, Douglas, Kelly and Mackay banished to the SANFL.

Himmelberg to get a taste. Jenkins can spend more time in the ruck.

Farewell game for Otten vs North.

Send Burton and Hass to North Korea on a fact finding mission.

On a more serious note, I just want to see the injured getting more rest (preferably no more games if we end up with 3 dead rubbers):
Tex, Sloane, Talia, Seeds, ?McGovern.

I also would like to see the young fringe players given a fair go at near full game time:
- Gooch, Polhoke, Fog, Himmelberg, Murphy. Give them more insight in how much more training is needed over the preseason for 2019.

Lastly, Otto and Mackay deserve a farewell game, if indeed they won't be with us for next year (in AFL level).

Wouldn't mind seeing our players get into a few fights to be honest and none of that jumper punching crap. I want Micheal Murphy, making a stand, or whatever the hell he was doing that day sort of punching on.

Then I want it asked what are we doing and just tell them we were trying to make the play less congested by making people too ******* scared to get into a scrimmage

Wouldn't mind seeing our players get into a few fights to be honest and none of that jumper punching crap. I want Micheal Murphy, making a stand, or whatever the hell he was doing that day sort of punching on.

Then I want it asked what are we doing and just tell them we were trying to make the play less congested by making people too ******* scared to get into a scrimmage

I could live with this

Mark Viska in as “physical interaction” coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put away Smith, Seedsman, Tex, Sauce and Sloane. Get them cherry ripe for the start of the next season.

I would give Hunter a debut and see what he has got. Fogarty for Tex. Kelly/Cheney stay in for Smith. I would actually like to see Signarello, so bring him in for Sloane. The Sig does some impressive things in the SANFL and he may just be one of those guys that steps up to the level, like we saw with Gallucci.

Eddie doesnt have much footy left in him, but we need 25 games from him next year. May as well put him away now. I would actually do the same with Talia. He has done a lot of work over the past 5 or 6 years. When Hartigan is ready to come back in, put Tails away.

If Pyke actually has got a plan B but has just been too scared to use it because plan A has generally worked so well then lets see it.

Get some debuts in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back