Afghanistan and Ireland gain test status

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Great news and a testament to the hard work that the players and administrators have done over the best part of a decade. Hope the stalwarts get a chance to experience test cricket, but guess there will be some hard luck stories. In the end though they can look back with a hell of a lot of pride in helping them get there.

The second tier is now clearly Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Ireland, Zimbabwe - and perhaps Sri Lanka as well.

Sri Lanka - you've got a very short memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great.

2 more teams we'll never play in Test cricket.

We'll probably play Ireland every Ashes in England.

Full strength Irish side in an actual test series be better warmup than some second division county 2nd XI.

Great day for Cricket, i'm sure they will get a few one off tests next year (Ireland vs England at Lords) (Afghanistan vs India) but once the test championship takes effect in 2019 i doubt they will get many tests besides Zimbabwe and themselves. Probably greater news is the ODI league as their guaranteed matches against the top 8 teams both home and away along with Netherlands or Scotland.

The second tier is now clearly Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Ireland, Zimbabwe - and perhaps Sri Lanka as well.
Two, maybe three of the teams you listed there are better than the West Indies.

Anyone wanna give each team a crack at the best XI? I assume most of the Irish 35-36 year olds are still kicking around like Mooney and the O'Brien's

Great news. Thoroughly deserved for both nations and all round great for the game as a whole.

I know their's cynicism as to whether Australia would play Afghanistan (Ireland probably to host a couple of tests against us before the Ashes every non-world cup ashes) but I would dearly love to see even a top end home series and a reciprocated 2 test series in India against them.

We'll probably play Ireland every Ashes in England.

Full strength Irish side in an actual test series be better warmup than some second division county 2nd XI.

Ireland probably to host a couple of tests against us before the Ashes every non-world cup ashes

Unlikely. We only play 4 Test match series in India. Can't see CA adding 1 or 2 against Ireland onto a 5 match Ashes series.

Two, maybe three of the teams you listed there are better than the West Indies.

Anyone wanna give each team a crack at the best XI? I assume most of the Irish 35-36 year olds are still kicking around like Mooney and the O'Brien's

Sri Lanka.

Who else?

Is another of those teams capable of beating Pakistan in an away test?
With Gabriel, Joseph and Holder in their attack I think they'd be too good for Ireland in Ireland, and as bad as they have generally been in test cricket, they've had relatively little trouble winning and drawing matches at home against most sides.

Sri Lanka.

Who else?

Is another of those teams capable of beating Pakistan in an away test?
With Gabriel, Joseph and Holder in their attack I think they'd be too good for Ireland in Ireland, and as bad as they have generally been in test cricket, they've had relatively little trouble winning and drawing matches at home against most sides.
Bangladesh is better. Maybe Afghanistan, as I rate their attack very highly.

Unlikely. We only play 4 Test match series in India. Can't see CA adding 1 or 2 against Ireland onto a 5 match Ashes series.

You don't think CA would see more value in playing a full strength Ireland as a warm up then against Essex 2nd XI?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back