Afghanistan and Ireland gain test status

Remove this Banner Ad

Barry McCarthy is the best pace bowling prospect. Had a good year with Durham and played well any opportunities he got with Ireland.

Chase has improved but Young is constantly injured and isn't exactly, uh, young anymore.

I'd be surprised if Joyce doesn't play for another couple of years with proper test matches on the horizon and I'd still rather him than anyone else at the crease.

Any hope we have of being competitive in the upcoming tests is very much resting on the form/fitness of Porterfield/Wilson with the bat and Rankin/Murtagh with the ball. If they're all fit and in some form then we have some degree of chance. If not then I'd worry.

Looking forward, I think the backbone of the team is fairly well set, if not quite at the level that the previous generation were at. Stirling and Balbirnie to lead the batting, McCarthy and Chase the bowling, with Dockrell and McBrine as spin options who can bat a bit. All of Porters/KOB/Wilson/Rankin etc. still have a couple of years left at least.

Morgan is more English than the English themselves at this stage so I'm not sure there's any route to getting him back, or whether he would want to. Although I don't see him lasting beyond the 2019 WC in the England team.

To be honest I would hope that the lure of test cricket could bring in a couple of 2nd & 3rd generation Irish playing county cricket just below the England standard, a la Murtagh. Not every half baked county player that fancies test cricket, but a decent pace option and a competent opening batsman would be useful.

Last edited:

Ireland have revealed their kit for their first Test, along with the 20 players on national contracts (six of these are part-time, because the players are in the county championship as well), which probably gives us an indication of who they'll be picking from for that match against Pakistan.

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-test-cricket-jersey-3816436-Jan2018/?utm_source=shortlink

Category ‘A’ contracts: John Anderson, Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Ed Joyce, Andrew McBrine, Jacob Mulder, Kevin O’Brien, Niall O’Brien, William Porterfield, James Shannon, Simi Singh, Stuart Thompson, Craig Young.

Category ‘B’ contracts: Barry McCarthy, Tim Murtagh, Stuart Poynter, Boyd Rankin, Paul Stirling, Gary Wilson.

Can already see Rashid Khan ripping us a new one on a spinning wicket in India.

I love the fact he gets the opportunity but would temper expectations considerably. Bowling in a test match is a whole different ball game to one dayers as many other excellent, aggressive short form spinners have discovered - ask Hogg, Mendis, Narine etc.

Rahmat Shah with the first Afghan test ton too, elegant player, different to the mayhem around him.

Rashid leading the way with bat and ball.

If his age is legitimate (about a week away from his 21st birthday), he'd have to be one of the most naturally talented all-round cricketers we've ever seen, and that's without great coaching, fitness, etc., and perhaps years away from even entering his prime, too.

Limitless potential to what Rashid could achieve, both in the game and as a symbol of hope and achievement for his country.

It would be interesting to speak to some Afghani people (both here in Australia, and over there), to see what cricket and Rashid means to them right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If his age is legitimate (about a week away from his 21st birthday), he'd have to be one of the most naturally talented all-round cricketers we've ever seen, and that's without great coaching, fitness, etc., and perhaps years away from even entering his prime, too.

Limitless potential to what Rashid could achieve, both in the game and as a symbol of hope and achievement for his country.

It would be interesting to speak to some Afghani people (both here in Australia, and over there), to see what cricket and Rashid means to them right now.
Yeah every time I see his age I can't believe how good he is already. Feels like he's been around for a fair while as well.

I really hope one day test cricket can be played in Afghanistan (and back in Pakistan for that matter). The Afghans really love their cricket and funnily enough, sports are banned under Taliban rule including centuries old games like Buzkashi (dead goat polo) but they've made an exemption for Cricket, a game which has only been around Afghanistan for a comparatively tiny amount of time.

They play a 1 off test vs Australia prior to the Indian tour in the 2020/2021 summer, similar to the England vs Ireland tune up game.

I'd be happy if this became a tradition moving forward prior to an Indian home tour, similarly it would be decent to play a 1 off test prior to an Indian away tour as a competitive warm up against a good spin attack on an Indian deck.

It will be interesting to see where CA schedule them, you'd think Hobart or Manuka potentially given a November test and the potential crowd size.

A November Hobart test against the Aussie pace attack in Hobart could be a brutual introduction to the top level of test cricket for the Aghans.

Although given the Indians play only 4 tests, the Afghans might get a D/N GABBA test

With India getting Optus, Adelaide, MCG, Sydney.

This is sad. The rain might just rob the Afghans of a very well deserved victory in their first test against Bangladesh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back