Afghanistan Tour Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally understand that part but you can control ICC tournaments by refusing to play them (forfeiting the match, CA choose not to do it).

IMO they could've played them in an unofficial capacity, possibly through mixed teams etc. It would've been a better way to highlight the issues in Afghanistan rather than a statement saying we're not playing them. I think they've lost an opportunity to create more awareness of womens rights.

I don't know how many people have bothered reading the statement nor will stay in their memory compared with playing them & using that time to create awareness, whether it be a 1, 2, 3 week period. IMO playing them in some capacity would've created more awareness then not playing them at all.

We need to create awareness and this was a great opportunity to do so which has now been lost.

What ******* good does awareness do? The people who would care already know. The people who don’t would probably sook about keeping politics out of sport

For all the sooking from Afghanistan about a cancelled series, remember they cancelled their own entire team first. Oh but it wasn’t the mens team so who cares? If Rashid Khan doesn’t think that’s politicising sport then what is?

It's a huge blow to Afghan cricket and their cricketers have every right to be pissed off.

My preference would be that we play the series for the betterment of the sport but I understand and respect the decision to boycott the series.

For all the sooking from Afghanistan about a cancelled series, remember they cancelled their own entire team first. Oh but it wasn’t the mens team so who cares? If Rashid Khan doesn’t think that’s politicising sport then what is?
In fairness, a scan of twitter shows that Rashid Khan and most of the Afghan cricketers are advocates for women's rights in Afghanistan and aren't supporters of the Taliban Government.

In fairness, a scan of twitter shows that Rashid Khan and most of the Afghan cricketers are advocates for women's rights in Afghanistan and aren't supporters of the Taliban Government.
Yeah and we don't know how hard that would be for them either, are they pressured to tacitly support the government?

Look at Iran - take the wrong stand and you get executed.

Yeah and we don't know how hard that would be for them either, are they pressured to tacitly support the government?

Look at Iran - take the wrong stand and you get executed.
From memory most of the cricketers grew up in refugee camps, the ones high profile enough for the Taliban to care about probably have homes elsewhere.

Don't mix sport with politics, the players don't have any involvement in the running of there country, stupid ass decisions made by CA idiots.

This is the take of a 14 year old.

No one is banning individual players. If Khan wanted to come back to Aus, everyone would welcome him. He isn’t the Taliban.

But the Afghani cricket team, is backed by the Taliban. Just like our team, is backed by our government. Government funded sport is inherently political 😂

The solution is simple. Remembering that the only reason the Taliban hasn’t been labelled a terrorist organisation is because it’d set back diplomatic affairs. It is not for us to bow down to what for all intents and purposes is a terrorist organisation to placate the wants of a few. It is for them to simply come into the 21st century and allow women a chance. Not asking for a lot.

Genuine question, what were people’s opinion on the banning of Russian sportspeople from Wimbledon for example?

I didn’t think that was fair.

While they likely have received funding from their governments in the past, the Russian and Belarusian players were representing themselves. They were not official national duty.

To me it’s akin to Khan playing BBL. Not representing his country and thereby his government. The UK weren’t gonna set Andy Murray and co up in Russia to play a tournament such as a Davis Cup. I’d be ok with that. But the players in an individual basis aren’t the ones to attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were fine letting Saudi-owned Aramco put its logos up all over the T20 World Cup, hell we've been supplying the Saudis with weapons for years.

It just mean's we'll play Afghanistan again when they start sponsoring the ICC with Opium money.

It's a huge blow to Afghan cricket and their cricketers have every right to be pissed off.

My preference would be that we play the series for the betterment of the sport but I understand and respect the decision to boycott the series.
They don't.

Their right to be pissed should've been when females are denied an Education or healthcare not when they cna line their pockets with cash.

We were fine letting Saudi-owned Aramco put its logos up all over the T20 World Cup, hell we've been supplying the Saudis with weapons for years.

It just mean's we'll play Afghanistan again when they start sponsoring the ICC with Opium money.
Women have been allowed an education for almost 70 years in Saudi Arabia, their women international team made their debut last year... Mean while Afghanistan has outlawed both of these things along with Healthcare services.

Women have been allowed an education for almost 70 years in Saudi Arabia, their women international team made their debut last year... Mean while Afghanistan has outlawed both of these things along with Healthcare services.
They still need men's permission to marry or travel, forbids Muslim women from marrying non-Muslim men but not vice versa, what a beacon of freedom for women they are. But hey, they allowed them to drive so it's all good. Don't even get me started on Pakistan, who we seem to be fine with.

Heck, I don't care if they sponsor tournaments in Australia but at least have some consistency in your virtue-signalling CA.

Taliban rule in Afghanistan won't change whether Australia plays against their cricket team or not, it only hurts their cricket team who defy the Taliban.

Playing against the Afghanistan cricket team is supporting people that are against the Taliban, to not play against them is just letting the Taliban win.

The problem the Australian stance has is a lack of credibility as they have cancelled that many series against Minnows over the years for whatever reason suits, this just seems like another excuse to not waste their time with countries beneath them.
* you

Why should we enable a terrorist state

Taliban rule in Afghanistan won't change whether Australia plays against their cricket team or not, it only hurts their cricket team who defy the Taliban.

Playing against the Afghanistan cricket team is supporting people that are against the Taliban, to not play against them is just letting the Taliban win.
Grats on supporting the Taliban

But anything against Australia, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back