Portfolio AFL 1997: Leading Into The 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

cottoneyeYeo

All Australian
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
afl 21st century logo copy.png
Hey guys and welcome to my first portfolio on here. I've been wanting to do a portfolio on here for a while but didn't know what to do so after a bit of thinking and some inspiration I've come up with a sort of alternative reality of what the AFL could of looked like turning into the 2000s. I've tried to make it different from other alternative history portfolios on here but if you have a problem feel free to pm me about it, also as I'm pretty new to designing jumpers you're feedback will be welcomed. And also thank you to exile for the amazing template and letting me use it.:)

Last edited:
View attachment 659760

Hey guys and welcome to my first portfolio on here, I've been wanting to do a portfolio on here for a while but didn't know what to do so after a bit of thinking and some inspiration I've come up with a sort of alternative reality of what the AFL could of looked like turning into the 2000s, I've tried to make it different from other alternative history portfolios on here but if you have a problem feel free to pm be about it, also as I'm pretty new to designing jumpers you're feedback will be welcomed and also thank you to exile for the amazing template and letting me use it :)
Mate, you might want to throw a full stop or two in there ;)

perth royals display copy.png

PERTH ROYALS
HOME GROUND: WACA GROUND
ESTABLISHED: 1995

The first cab of the rank is the Perth Royals. At the end of the 1994 season the only WA team in the comp won the AFL premiership this caused the WAFC to think about starting a second team in WA, there were many options to where the team would be located some said a fremantle team others said a joondalup team. In the end after months of talk the Perth Demons and East Perth Royals merged to become the Perth Royals. It was later announced that they would play out of a newly renovated WACA Ground, the club started off with a strong supporter base from their respective WAFL clubs, filling out the WACA week in week out leading into the 2000s, the club is pushing for its first finals berth and are going in the right direction.

Last edited:
north fitzroy display.png

NORTH FITZROY KANGAROOS
HOME GROUND: JUNCTION OVAL/MELBOURNE CRICKET GROUND
ESTABLISHED: 1997

In 1996 the Fitzroy Lions were in trouble financially and on-field, many people were sceptical about what was going to happen to the club were they going to dissolve were they going to merge with an existing club. In comes North Melbourne who are currently on a high point in their history just coming off a premiership win with big players like Wayne Carey and Glenn Archer. But the club wasn't in the best place financially so Fitzroy and the roos come together and decided to merge. This was met with a lot on unrest from fans of both sides, but if it helped the Fitzroy history stay alive then everyone was happy. The club has kept the popular bounding roo design as the home adopting Fitzroy's colours and the away jumper keeps the classical north stripes. You can't help but feel this club is about to become a powerhouse of the AFL.

Last edited:
View attachment 660609

NORTH FITZROY KANGAROOS
HOME GROUND: JUNCTION OVAL/MELBOURNE CRICKET GROUND

In 1996 the Fitzroy Lions were in trouble financially and on-field, many people were sceptical about what was going to happen to the club were they going to dissolve were they going to merge with an existing club. In comes North Melbourne who are currently on a high point in their history just coming off a premiership win with big players like Wayne Carey and Glenn Archer. But the club wasn't in the best place financially so Fitzroy and the roos come together and decided to merge. This was met with a lot on unrest from fans of both sides, but if it helped the Fitzroy history stay alive then everyone was happy. The club has kept the popular bounding roo design as the home adopting Fitzroy's colours and the away jumper keeps the classical north stripes. You can't help but feel this club is about to become a powerhouse of the AFL.

So Fitzroy and North Melbourne exit and North Fitzroy comes in?
Man that non suburban area would love that.

North Fitzroy nearly actually happened, AFL were scared of creating a super team considering how strong North were in the late 90s.

View attachment 660212

PERTH ROYALS
HOME GROUND: WACA GROUND
ESTABLISHED: 1995

The first cab of the rank is the Perth Royals. At the end of the 1994 season the only WA team in the comp won the AFL premiership this caused the WAFC to think about starting a second team in WA, there were many options to where the team would be located some said a fremantle team others said a joondalup team. In the end after months of talk the Perth Demons and East Perth Royals merged to become the Perth Royals. It was later announced that they would play out of a newly renovated WACA Ground, the club started off with a strong supporter base from their respective WAFL clubs, filling out the WACA week in week out leading into the 2000s, the club is pushing for its first finals berth and are going in the right direction.

Love the design and the idea of football being played at the WACA is great. I hope Perth move there since WC have taken over their home ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North Fitzroy nearly actually happened, AFL were scared of creating a super team considering how strong North were in the late 90s.

It wasn't the AFL themselves, it was the clubs led by Richmond and their president Leon Daphne

sorry heaps for the delay in uploads guys. I've had a few personal issues to deal with this week, new design should be up tomorrow :)

port display.png

PORT ADELAIDE POWER
HOME GROUND: ALBERTON OVAL/FOOTBALL PARK
ESTABLISHED: AFL/1997 SANFL/1870

I'm finally back with the first of the SA teams. Port Adelaide have always been a powerhouse in the SANFL since 1870, but finally their chance came to join the AFL and they weren't about to let it go begging. Stocking up on talent from other clubs which included star Gavin Wanganeen. The club announced it was going to spread out its games between Alberton Oval and Football Park. The club was also forced to add teal and change their nickname to power as Collingwood kicked up about a fuss about another team being black and white and called the magpies, this makes the away jumper a teal variation of the classic prison bar jumper, and the home being the classic prison bar design. The well known club is hoping to bring back their successful history in coming years.

Last edited:
View attachment 663175

PORT ADELAIDE POWER
HOME GROUND: ALBERTON OVAL/FOOTBALL PARK

I'm finally back with the first of the SA teams. Port Adelaide have always been a powerhouse in the SANFL since 1870, but finally their chance came to join the AFL and they weren't about to let it go begging. Stocking up on talent from other clubs which included star Gavin Wanganeen. The club announced it was going to spread out its games between Alberton Oval and Football Park. The club was also forced to add teal and change their nickname to power as Collingwood kicked up about a fuss about another team being black and white and called the magpies, this makes the away jumper a teal variation of the classic prison bar jumper, and the home being the classic prison bar design. The well known club is hoping to bring back their successful history in coming years.
Like (but not the Established 1997 bit!)

norwood display.png

NORWOOD CROWS
HOME GROUND: FOOTBALL PARK
ESTABLISHED: 1991

Now on to the second SA team. In 1990 the SANFL called for an AFL team in Adelaide, The league came together and discussed many options would the team be called adelaide or will an existing SANFL team join the national league. The decision was finally made that SANFL powerhouses Norwood would join the league but would have to adopt the nickname The crows as this what was decided as the nickname through a public vote. The clubs colours were kept the same and they were now sponsored by Adidas to made the decision to put the classic three stripes on the jumper, To give it that proper Adidas look. The club recruited many SA players from the VFL but also kept a lot of norwood and SANFL players. Just a few years into this club's existence it really is becoming a real force in the AFL world.

That's actually what they were going to be called – the North Fitzroy Kangaroos.

North Fitzroy is a suburb proper too and its actually where Brunswick Street Oval is and where the FFC began. There's a podcast out somewhere (maybe the ABC Hindsight one) where it's discussed.

Kind of a dumb name but what else really is there?

melbourne bulldogs display.png

Its time for another merger and this time its the Dees and the Bulldogs merging during the 90s both teams were steady but not doing anything too special hence these two teams coming together and creating a super team. International Jim Stynes was announced as the captain and the club alternated their games between the MCG and Whitten oval. The club adopted the dogs jumper and the logo but incorporated the dees colours into the designs. The bulldogs clash jumper from the late 90s has also been revived but I've added a few little changes of mine, Ps, let me know if you like the look of the new layout :)

View attachment 669254

Its time for another merger and this time its the Dees and the Bulldogs merging during the 90s both teams were steady but not doing anything too special hence these two teams coming together and creating a super team. International Jim Stynes was announced as the captain and the club alternated their games between the MCG and Whitten oval. The club adopted the dogs jumper and the logo but incorporated the dees colours into the designs. The bulldogs clash jumper from the late 90s has also been revived but I've added a few little changes of mine, Ps, let me know if you like the look of the new layout :)
was this actually going to happen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back