Game Day AFL 1st Elimination Final: West Coast Eagles vs Collingwood @ Optus 6.10 pm AWST Saturday 3rd of October 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Richmond and Collingwood.
maxresdefault.jpg
407671_8c17bd1c1491dafa69660bf60fab7a91-2-400x398.png

The Legendary Mighty West Coast Eagles vs Colliwobbles lol.

The first elimination final to determine who will face the loser of the qualifying final. We're Collingwood's kryptonite so we will win the flag after smashing the next four teams.
Collingwood sitting 8th on ladder is EXACTLY where they've always been this season winning and losing against top 8 sides. They've been competitive against Brisbane and Port the two teams that smashed us earlier in the year and even smashed the Doggies as well. Only two AA named in that side (Adams and Moore) whereas we have three (Nic Nat, Ryan and Sheppard).

They don't match up well against us having been their kryptonite like Collingwood has been to Richmond. We've smashed them by eleven goals earlier in the year when JK was playing like a god and we just couldn't miss. We've managed to beat them in our first encounter in 2019 but they smashed us in the fourth quarter in our second encounter against them and we lost by one point. Of course who on Earth can forget our 2018 grand final win with Mr Clutch Sheed.

Good news us we should be getting Shuey, Redden, Cripps, Jetta, Gov and JK back but we'll miss Yeo for the rest of the year.

dom-sheed-goal-gif.gif

The legendary moment when Mr Ice Clutch Sheed won us the Granny. Never gets old.
How do we beat them?

May edit this part until game day.

Collingwood have been inconsistent in moving the ball. They always handball it ten metres back only to blindly bomb it so the oppo defense can set up easily. Although they do have the capability to play quick and that's where they've been damaging. They're also a strong contested ball winning side so our mids will need to be more harder and NOT be afraid to put their head down for the footy (we badly miss Yeo).

Buckley and co have NEVER tried or found a way to stop our kick mark game so we'll just kick mark at will until we overwhelm their so called defense. We just simply have to keep doing our kick mark style since they always defend space rather than a man. Plan B would be just to go down the line where JK, Darling and Allen bring the ball to ground or spoil it to the boundary line where Nic Nat can work his magic against Grundy. In order for the down the line plan to work, we'll need one of our KPFs going for the ball and have crumbers ready to pounce.

Without Yeo our best two way running mid, our mids Shuey, Kelly, Sheed, Redden and Gaff will need to stand up like in the Saints game where our best players stood up. Either Nelson and Duggan have to go in the middle to provide mongrel that Yeo provided and tackle hard as well without giving away a free of course. Nic Nat will have to play more minutes (he only spent 58% TOG when we last played them) to have an impact so our mids can get first use and give us an advantage going to our forward line where JK, Darling, Allen, Ryan and co can pounce. Accuracy is very important so we have to try and replicate our accuracy when we last versed them since their backline is really strong having bailed them out in close games.

Collingwood's forward line hasn't been functioning well for the year but we cannot underestimate them as their forward line can be lethal when firing. We'll need to block Cox's space so he can't get a run and jump at it and we'll also have to block De Goey's leading space as well. I reckon Schoey has to play and go on De Goey instead of Sheppard because as great as Shep's been, he'll need to go on Stephenson as Stephenson can be damaging when back to his best which we could play him into form if we're not careful.

Tagging one of their mids is a must as it's worked before against them. Ainsworth should get the nod ahead of Hutch so if either of them play then I reckon they should tag Pendlebury since Pendles has been one of their elite ball users and Treloar and Adams provide burst and grunt respectively but neither of them are good ball users like Pendlebury is.

Key Matchups.

Nic Nat vs Grundy:
This is a huge matchup here to prove who truly is the best ruck in the league and to show why Nic Nat is MUCH better value for money. Nic Nat will have to out jump and out muscle Grundy to give our mids first use so we can dominate their mids in clearances. This will need all of our mids to show more grunt.

1562979859959_GV42AEFTT.1-1.jpg

Nic Nat is the true best Ruckman in the comp. Nic Nat mashing Grundy will expose that Collingwood wasted one million a year for the next seven years on a non important position.

Ainsworth OR Hutch (depending who plays) vs Pendlebury: Pendlebury is a damaging ball using mid so he'll need to be stopped especially that Sidebottom (poor against a hard tag lol) will miss out for the rest of the season. Adams is a grunt type mid and Treloar is a burst type mid (a downgraded version of Shuey lol) but neither of them are good ball users so if Ainsworth or Hutch can take out Pendlebury then their forward entries will be more messier assuming we provide strong pressure allowing our defense to thrive.

Barrass vs Cox: Cox can be damaging when at his best so Barrass will need to stop him just like he did at our first qualifying final in 2018. He'll need third man up help to block his run and jump. Stopping Cox is very important if we're going to have a strong chance of winning.

2018+AFL+Grand+Final+West+Coast+v+Collingwood+I3ekWKAdxhkx.jpg

Time for Barrass to end the American experiment once and for all.

Kennedy and Darling vs Moore and Roughead: Collingwood's defense has been strong this season but we match up well against them. We'll need to get it in quickly so they don't have time to set up or use our kick mark gameplan to move them around to awkward positions in the field so JK, Darling and co can have a field day.

Shuey vs Treloar: The battle of the two burst mids. Shuey will need to step up and put his body on the line if we're going to match them in contested possessions and he'll need to be clean with the footy when we win clearances and use his great ball using skills to deliver the footy in dangerous areas.

Schofield (if he plays) or Sheppard vs De Goey: I reckon Schofield is a better matchup on De Goey since he has the size to wrestle with him and pace to match him but Sheppard is also good if Schoey doesn't play. De Goey can be a match winner so stopping him is a must. Where does Schoey fit in the side? Either one of Duggan, Cole or Nelson go in the midfield as rotations so we can fit Schoey in the backline with our other gun defenders. Schoey probably won't play though.

f8a1815faeeb6e6f81f897cf5ecc6fcb

Time for Schoey to destroy DeGoey if he plays that is. We wish you the best Schoey.

Last five matches.

West Coast Eagles.

L vs Surging Richmond 61-88.
W vs No more Woosha Bombers 60-45.
L vs Flukey Dogs 47-49.
W vs Fake St Kilda 65-50.
W vs Cellar Dwellers Norf 49-34.

Collingwood.

W vs Cellar Dweller Norf 65-35.
W vs We're tanking again Carlton 72-48.
L vs The worst top 2 team Brisbane 34-42.
W vs Downskiiing as always Suns 68-46.
L vs Top of the table Port Adelaide 45-61.

Our last five matches against Collingwood.

R8 2020: W 111-45. We smashed them and JK played like a god against them. We just couldn't miss that day.
R17 2019: L 77-78. We did well against them up to the third quarter but they out grunted us in the fourth. Probably costed us top 4 if the Hawthorn game didn't cost us already.
R3 2019: W 98-76. We showed why they don't match up well against us.
GF 2018: W 79-74. Mr Sheed clutching with ice as always. What else is there to say?
QF1: 2018: W 86-70. Jetta's snap was clutch and helped got us the win.

Teams.

TBA at 4.20 pm the day before the game.

Predicted changes: Petch and AhChee make way for Jones or Jetta and Cripps, Schoey makes way for Gov, Williams makes way for Shuey and Foley makes way for Redden.

Predicted 22.

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Rotham.
HB: Hurn, McGovern, Nelson.
C: Sheed, Shuey, Gaff.
HF: Cripps, Darling, Jetta or Jones.
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
R: Nic Nat, Redden, Kelly.
I/C: Duggan, Cole, Ainsworth, Waterman.

Will be updating this part once the team sheets come out. Actual 22 will be below.

Obviously Shuey, Redden, JK and Gov comes in for Foley, Rotham (injury), Williams and Schoey (would've loved him to play against the Pies, perfect match up on De Goey IMO). Nice to see JK getting the green light to play.

TeamSelection-2020-AFLSeason-ATM-EliminationFinal2.jpg

Weather Forecast.

We should be all good:
Partly cloudy. Slight (20%) chance of a shower, most likely in the morning. Winds southerly 20 to 30 km/h tending southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h later.

Where can I watch the game on TV or hear it on the radio?

Free to air:
Seven or Seven Mate at 6.00 pm AWST considering all of our (and Freo's) games are free to air to please us non Foxtel WA viewers.
Subscription TV: Fox Footy.
Streaming/IPTV: Kayo.
Mobile: AFL Live pass.
Radio: Triple M Rocks Footy, ABC, AFL Nation or 6PR. Just hear the our BigFooty commentary, beats the radio hacks for sure.

West Coast Eagles BigFooty Commentary: HoneyBadger35 will send us a link above the post. Eddie is soo bland, boring and pathetic when he tries to act "excited".

Venue Tickets.

Visit: https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/wes...od-burswood-03-10-2020/event/2500593290EB109D

We must overrun Optus with Eagles supporters and give our boys the needed morale since we'll be in QLD for the next three weeks. We cannot let Pies supporters overwhelm us otherwise our 2020 season is finished so get to Optus and barrack for our legendary mighty Eagles.

Best to take the Armadale train line to Optus since it's much better than finding parking spots which will most likely fill up ASAP.

Predictions.

Pre weather forecasts.

West Coast Eagles by 28.

We'll once again be Collingwood's kryptonite. Nic Nat will get on top of Grundy and start our midfield dominance. Pendlebury will be quiet and our forward line will have a field day. Barrass will end the American experiment once and for all that the Pies will be getting Gunston and Brown. Sheppard will stop De Goey from making an impact and Stephenson, Thomas and Hoskin-Elliot will go missing. May change this part and the predictions section once the weather forecasts came out. It will be closer than last time though.

Last edited:

Strongside

Senior List
Aug 23, 2020
Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardinals, Sooners
Barrass will end the American experiment once and for all

As a long time American Eagles supporter I concur about Cox..his hype is so out of proportion to his performance..this is the kind of stage that big match Schuey finds his spotlight..so glad he will be back.

Got spoiled to near non-stop footy..I'm soothing my withdrawal with classic match recordings..my 5 am breakfast finals with the Eagles can't get here soon enough.

Spange

Club Legend
May 24, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NBA: Thunder
Is this team stronger than 2018?
Ins NicNat, Shep, Gaff, Kelly
Outs Yeo, Willie, lycett, LeCras, and someone unlucky
Based on that I would think a premiership is well within our reach.
Caarnn boys!
Pretty close I would say. I would give anything to have Willie and Ryan together though

Whether or not the players list is stronger is irrelevant, we won 2018 by hunting as a team. We’re not playing as well as a team this year so we’re a lesser chance. Not no chance, but obviously finishing 5th (for the second year in a row FFS) also doesn’t help.

I don’t think we’re much of a chance as things stand, annoyingly. We’re good enough to beat anybody but haven’t shown it consistently for 2 years now.

Mar 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Having NicNat in the form he’s in and coming off a rest is huge too. Short quarters helps him too
Agree with both of your posts, AhChee has been nowhere near Rioli’s output and we miss him. NicNat’s lack of stamina hasn’t been exposed during shorter quarters, hence the AA.
NicNat, Shep, Kelly, and Gaff all look very hungry for success, more so than the rest of the team, a very impressive quartet to drive us over the line though. I think we are a real chance this year.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll be working during this one. I could just listen on radio but I'd rather see Brayden's ball drop in crisp HD so phone will be off and I will have no contact with anyone so I can come straight home and watch the replay without seeing the result. Means I can't melt in the game day thread though sadly.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll be working during this one. I could just listen on radio but I'd rather see Brayden's ball drop in crisp HD so phone will be off and I will have no contact with anyone so I can come straight home and watch the replay without seeing the result. Means I can't melt in the game day thread though sadly.

Melts won't be necessary, this will be a lolnorf 2012 Elimination Final style result :moustache:

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Whether or not the players list is stronger is irrelevant, we won 2018 by hunting as a team. We’re not playing as well as a team this year so we’re a lesser chance. Not no chance, but obviously finishing 5th (for the second year in a row FFS) also doesn’t help.

I don’t think we’re much of a chance as things stand, annoyingly. We’re good enough to beat anybody but haven’t shown it consistently for 2 years now.
The thing that is extremely frustrating is we’re in the same boat as everyone above us but it just hasn’t fallen our way. Could argue maybe Richmond have looked the most consistent but even they have looked flaky at times. Identical to last year in that one small loss has effectively cooked our season and we’re the odd one out. Brisbane are a chance at another straight sets and in any normal year where they don’t have 10.000 home games there’s no way they finish top 4, let alone top 2. Sure you could say we just weren’t good enough but when the margins for missing out on top 4 are this tight it all matters. I would have had us locked in for a GF had we finished 4th but I think 5th is a bridge too far unfortunately..

Footfalcon

Senior List
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
maxresdefault.jpg
407671_8c17bd1c1491dafa69660bf60fab7a91-2-400x398.png

The Legendary Mighty West Coast Eagles vs Colliwobbles lol.

The first elimination final to determine who will face the loser of the qualifying final. We're Collingwood's kryptonite so we will win the flag after smashing the next four teams.
Collingwood sitting 8th on ladder is EXACTLY where they've always been this season winning and losing against top 8 sides. They've been competitive against Brisbane and Port the two teams that smashed us earlier in the year and even smashed the Doggies as well. Only two AA named in that side (Adams and Moore) whereas we have three (Nic Nat, Ryan and Sheppard).

They don't match up well against us having been their kryptonite like Collingwood has been to Richmond. We've smashed them by eleven goals earlier in the year when JK was playing like a god and we just couldn't miss. We've managed to beat them in our first encounter in 2019 but they smashed us in the fourth quarter in our second encounter against them and we lost by one point. Of course who on Earth can forget our 2018 grand final win with Mr Clutch Sheed.

Good news us we should be getting Shuey, Redden, Cripps, Jetta, Gov and JK back but we'll miss Yeo for the rest of the year.

dom-sheed-goal-gif.gif

The legendary moment when Mr Ice Clutch Sheed won us the Granny. Never gets old.
How do we beat them?

May edit this part until game day.

Collingwood have been inconsistent in moving the ball. They always handball it ten metres back only to blindly bomb it so the oppo defense can set up easily. Although they do have the capability to play quick and that's where they've been damaging. They're also a strong contested ball winning side so our mids will need to be more harder and NOT be afraid to put their head down for the footy (we badly miss Yeo).

Buckley and co have NEVER tried or found a way to stop our kick mark game so we'll just kick mark at will until we overwhelm their so called defense. We just simply have to keep doing our kick mark style since they always defend space rather than a man. Plan B would be just to go down the line where JK, Darling and Allen bring the ball to ground or spoil it to the boundary line where Nic Nat can work his magic against Grundy. In order for the down the line plan to work, we'll need one of our KPFs going for the ball and have crumbers ready to pounce.

Without Yeo our best two way running mid, our mids Shuey, Kelly, Sheed, Redden and Gaff will need to stand up like in the Saints game where our best players stood up. Either Nelson and Duggan have to go in the middle to provide mongrel that Yeo provided and tackle hard as well without giving away a free of course. Nic Nat will have to play more minutes (he only spent 58% TOG when we last played them) to have an impact so our mids can get first use and give us an advantage going to our forward line where JK, Darling, Allen, Ryan and co can pounce. Accuracy is very important so we have to try and replicate our accuracy when we last versed them since their backline is really strong having bailed them out in close games.

Collingwood's forward line hasn't been functioning well for the year but we cannot underestimate them as their forward line can be lethal when firing. We'll need to block Cox's space so he can't get a run and jump at it and we'll also have to block De Goey's leading space as well. I reckon Schoey has to play and go on De Goey instead of Sheppard because as great as Shep's been, he'll need to go on Stephenson as Stephenson can be damaging when back to his best which we could play him into form if we're not careful.

Tagging one of their mids is a must as it's worked before against them. Ainsworth should get the nod ahead of Hutch so if either of them play then I reckon they should tag Pendlebury since Pendles has been one of their elite ball users and Treloar and Adams provide burst and grunt respectively but neither of them are good ball users like Pendlebury is.

Key Matchups.

Nic Nat vs Grundy:
This is a huge matchup here to prove who truly is the best ruck in the league and to show why Nic Nat is MUCH better value for money. Nic Nat will have to out jump and out muscle Grundy to give our mids first use so we can dominate their mids in clearances. This will need all of our mids to show more grunt.

1562979859959_GV42AEFTT.1-1.jpg

Nic Nat is the true best Ruckman in the comp. Nic Nat mashing Grundy will expose that Collingwood wasted one million a year for the next seven years on a non important position.

Ainsworth OR Hutch (depending who plays) vs Pendlebury: Pendlebury is a damaging ball using mid so he'll need to be stopped especially that Sidebottom (poor against a hard tag lol) will miss out for the rest of the season. Adams is a grunt type mid and Treloar is a burst type mid (a downgraded version of Shuey lol) but neither of them are good ball users so if Ainsworth or Hutch can take out Pendlebury then their forward entries will be more messier assuming we provide strong pressure allowing our defense to thrive.

Barrass vs Cox: Cox can be damaging when at his best so Barrass will need to stop him just like he did at our first qualifying final in 2018. He'll need third man up help to block his run and jump. Stopping Cox is very important if we're going to have a strong chance of winning.

2018+AFL+Grand+Final+West+Coast+v+Collingwood+I3ekWKAdxhkx.jpg

Time for Barrass to end the American experiment once and for all.

Kennedy and Darling vs Moore and Roughead: Collingwood's defense has been strong this season but we match up well against them. We'll need to get it in quickly so they don't have time to set up or use our kick mark gameplan to move them around to awkward positions in the field so JK, Darling and co can have a field day.

Shuey vs Treloar: The battle of the two burst mids. Shuey will need to step up and put his body on the line if we're going to match them in contested possessions and he'll need to be clean with the footy when we win clearances and use his great ball using skills to deliver the footy in dangerous areas.

Schofield (if he plays) or Sheppard vs De Goey: I reckon Schofield is a better matchup on De Goey since he has the size to wrestle with him and pace to match him but Sheppard is also good if Schoey doesn't play. De Goey can be a match winner so stopping him is a must. Where does Schoey fit in the side? Either one of Duggan, Cole or Nelson go in the midfield as rotations so we can fit Schoey in the backline with our other gun defenders. Schoey probably won't play though.

f8a1815faeeb6e6f81f897cf5ecc6fcb

Time for Schoey to destroy DeGoey if he plays that is. We wish you the best Schoey.

Last five matches.

West Coast Eagles.

L vs Surging Richmond 61-88.
W vs No more Woosha Bombers 60-45.
L vs Flukey Dogs 47-49.
W vs Fake St Kilda 65-50.
W vs Cellar Dwellers Norf 49-34.

Collingwood.

W vs Cellar Dweller Norf 65-35.
W vs We're tanking again Carlton 72-48.
L vs The worst top 2 team Brisbane 34-42.
W vs Downskiiing as always Suns 68-46.
L vs Top of the table Port Adelaide 45-61.

Our last five matches against Collingwood.

R8 2020: W 111-45. We smashed them and JK played like a god against them. We just couldn't miss that day.
R17 2019: L 77-78. We did well against them up to the third quarter but they out grunted us in the fourth. Probably costed us top 4 if the Hawthorn game didn't cost us already.
R3 2019: W 98-76. We showed why they don't match up well against us.
GF 2018: W 79-74. Mr Sheed clutching with ice as always. What else is there to say?
QF1: 2018: W 86-70. Jetta's snap was clutch and helped got us the win.

Teams.

TBA at 4.20 pm the day before the game.

Predicted changes: Petch and AhChee make way for Jones or Jetta and Cripps, Schoey makes way for Gov, Williams makes way for Shuey and Foley makes way for Redden.

Predicted 22.

B: Sheppard, Barrass, Rotham.
HB: Hurn, McGovern, Nelson.
C: Sheed, Shuey, Gaff.
HF: Cripps, Darling, Jetta or Jones.
F: Ryan, Kennedy, Allen
R: Nic Nat, Redden, Kelly.
I/C: Duggan, Cole, Ainsworth, Waterman.

Will be updating this part once the team sheets come out. Actual 22 will be below.

Weather Forecast.

TBA will be updating this part soon.

Where can I watch the game on TV or hear it on the radio?

Free to air:
Seven or Seven Mate at 6.00 pm AWST considering all of our (and Freo's) games are free to air to please us non Foxtel WA viewers.
Subscription TV: Fox Footy.
Streaming/IPTV: Kayo.
Mobile: AFL Live pass.
Radio: Triple M Rocks Footy, ABC, AFL Nation or 6PR. Just hear the our BigFooty commentary, beats the radio hacks for sure.

West Coast Eagles BigFooty Commentary: HoneyBadger35 will send us a link above the post. Eddie is soo bland, boring and pathetic when he tries to act "excited".

Venue Tickets.

Visit: https://www.ticketmaster.com.au/wes...od-burswood-03-10-2020/event/2500593290EB109D

We must overrun Optus with Eagles supporters and give our boys the needed morale since we'll be in QLD for the next three weeks. We cannot let Pies supporters overwhelm us otherwise our 2020 season is finished so get to Optus and barrack for our legendary mighty Eagles.

Best to take the Armadale train line to Optus since it's much better than finding parking spots which will most likely fill up ASAP.

Predictions.

Pre weather forecasts.

West Coast Eagles by 28.

Assuming it's a dry day.

We'll once again be Collingwood's kryptonite. Nic Nat will get on top of Grundy and start our midfield dominance. Pendlebury will be quiet and our forward line will have a field day. Barrass will end the American experiment once and for all that the Pies will be getting Gunston and Brown. Sheppard will stop De Goey from making an impact and Stephenson, Thomas and Hoskin-Elliot will go missing. May change this part and the predictions section once the weather forecasts came out. It will be closer than last time though.

Post weather forecast.

TBA.
It would be a huge (repeated) mistake if rotham were to take Schofields position for the finals. Was dropped twice prior to playing Collingwood and the Tigers late last year which arguably cost us the top four position.
He's proven against this team in particular, and the team's wins against high ranking teams have coincided with his placement in the team.
In addition to the extra moral and internal fire it'd provide the team to try hard for the win, giving rotham finals experience can wait.

Just post randomly during game time from the list below and you'll fit right in, no need to watch the game or follow the match thread:

"Can't believe we traded our future for Tim Kelly"
"WTF is Nelson taking the kick-ins. He's cost us at least 3 goals!"
"Has Cripps ever taken a football cleanly in his entire career!!!"
"This team is mentally weak"
"I can't believe we wasted the last 2 years of Kennedy's career"
"These umpires are killing us! The fix is in, well done Eddie!" - Post with EddiekissingGilonthehead.jpeg
"#VICBIAS"

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Opposition kick the first goal of the game:

"Same old story every year with Simpson, team puts a bit of pressure on us and we go to water"
I will be legitimately worried if we kick the first few goals. All all good wins against pies recently (inlcuding the 10 goal thrashing in July) start with them getting out to a 20-30 point lead. Then the fun begins.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this game will play out like our game against Geelong did. Pies will get out to a semi decent lead mid game however we'll reel them in and win by a couple goals in the last quarter. We'll all be melting from bounce down until ten minutes into the last. Eagles by 14.

Wild Kelly

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this game will play out like our game against Geelong did. Pies will get out to a semi decent lead mid game however we'll reel them in and win by a couple goals in the last quarter. We'll all be melting from bounce down until ten minutes into the last. Eagles by 14.
F*** me.........we're doomed!!!

I've got 2 tkts for sale .... don't think I'll bother going now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back