Game Day AFL 1st Elimination Final: West Coast Eagles vs Collingwood @ Optus 6.10 pm AWST Saturday 3rd of October 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplegee

All Australian
May 13, 2003
Bangkok, Thailand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool; Perth Wildcats
I actually don't mind Petrucelle being on the list, but he isn't ready for AFL standard footy and needs to develop more.

The fact he is currently B22 is an indictment on our depth in his position.
He's not best 22 - that's the issue.

The mind-boggling selection of him in this game is not on him but once he was out there he needed to make a contribution, any contribution.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

The mind-boggling selection of him in this game is not on him but once he was out there he needed to make a contribution, any contribution.

Who is in front of him and available to play as a small forward?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Ha! Let me take your question in 2 parts?

Who's in front of him?
- Who isn't.

Small forwards?
- Cameron?
- Jetta?

Let alone a slight re-structure.

Actually, is he a small forward?

Cameron is obviously not fit.

In case you don't remember, he played a few games mid-season, was racking up 4 & 5 disposal games and this board was calling for him to be dropped, and then he was.

triplegee

All Australian
May 13, 2003
Bangkok, Thailand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool; Perth Wildcats
Cameron is obviously not fit.

In case you don't remember, he played a few games mid-season, was racking up 4 & 5 disposal games and this board was calling for him to be dropped, and then he was.
I don't disagree with you mate.

My point is that Pettrucelle did nothing to warrant his selection and many of us were wary of his potential to contribute.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't disagree with you mate.

My point is that Pettrucelle did nothing to warrant his selection and many of us were wary of his potential to contribute.

I wasn't surprised that Petch was picked.

Folks on here talking about swinging magnets and Nelson moving forward or something similar should know that when it comes to Simmo forwards are forward, mids are mids, backs are back.

Jones wasn't fit
Cameron wasn't fit
Jetta seems to be on the outer

Literally it was Petch or Nic Reid.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Folks on here talking about swinging magnets and Nelson moving forward or something similar should know that when it comes to Simmo forwards are forward, mids are mids, backs are back.

Jones wasn't fit
Cameron wasn't fit

Easy pick, Nick Reid.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The more im allowed to stew over this loss, the more angry I am that Jetta and especially Schofield werent picked to play. Sure, they may have racked up as many possessions as their "B22" counterparts did tonight, but they have the nuance and knowledge to at least play defensively and would have gone some way towards stymying Collingwood's forward thrusts.

It was a bad, bad, bad decision to leave those 2 out. For whatever reason, we didnt play the absolute best team that we could have.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The more im allowed to stew over this loss, the more angry I am that Jetta and especially Schofield werent picked to play. Sure, they may have racked up as many possessions as their "B22" counterparts did tonight, but they have the nuance and knowledge to at least play defensively and would have gone some way towards stymying Collingwood's forward thrusts.

It was a bad, bad, bad decision to leave those 2 out. For whatever reason, we didnt play the absolute best team that we could have.
Im furious, should have let Gov roam free with Schoey on Degoey. Put Jetts on the HB and run the ball. He is pretty handy on the HFF and knows how to kick goals.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

Jones wasn't fit
Cameron wasn't fit

We didn't need Petch though.
The changes weren't exactly like for like, as it often isn't.
Shuey (mid), Redden (mid), Gov (def) & Cripps (fwd) went out for Foley (def), Rotham (def), Schofield (def), Williams (ruck).
That's 3 defenders & a ruckman replaced by 2 mids, a defender and a forward.
It could easily have been Foley (def), Williams (ruck), Rotham (def), Petrucelle (fwd).
So basically Petrucelle could be considered to the one making way for Cripps.

Last edited:

3agles87

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
We'd have spread our cheeks had it been us that had to spend a week in quarantine before the game. Kudos to the pies players and staff.
Agree, kudos to the pies. Took advantage of big moments, that mihocek goal was a cracker.

But I don’t get what you get out of speculating about what would or would not have happened if we had of played away or been put in quarantine for the final. Guess you can’t be proven wrong, but still has a bit of a stench to it.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo's biggest mistake was his "dirty club" comment in the presser. That really galvanised Collingwood and created a real Us v Them mentality and you could see they were well and truly up for the fight.

May 8, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo's biggest mistake was his "dirty club" comment in the presser. That really galvanised Collingwood and created a real Us v Them mentality and you could see they were well and truly up for the fight.
All this bad mouthing stuff in the press is stupid, it really does lift the resolve of the other team. Just shutup and respect your opposition.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you kidding. It is one thing for a team not to maximise their chances, and it is another thing for umpiring to swing so many crucial moments. Yes, our midfield should have been better, yes JK missed opportunities he should not have missed, and Ainsworth and ah Chee’s out on the full proved crucial. Barass was terrible all night.

That does not give the umpires a pass mark. Blatant holding the ball at half forward for pies not called. Goal to pies. Gov deliberate. Goal pies. Similar thing happens multiple times after that, no call. Blocking on Shuey when darling marks, goal pies. Blocking at every contest unnoticed, but most noticeably in last quarter when when Ryan taken out on the fifty. Somehow picked it out as a free kick to the pies at the most crucial of times, and even then marginal by the standards of the crap they don’t call.

Your first post above was irritating, but your second post is bullshit. Anyone who watched that game and does not think the umps had a massive influence on the outcome has their head up their arse. We should have won but didn’t. Our own players are to blame, but so are the umps. Fix was in early, you just didn’t see it. And for a private investigator, I would have thought you would have considered all the evidence.
Agree with this. These three examples stood out to me as clearly the wrong calls which directly led to Pies goals. Despite this, we should have won anyway but for poor goalkicking, but this doesn't mean the umpiring didn't cost us in a big way.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree, kudos to the pies. Took advantage of big moments, that mihocek goal was a cracker.

But I don’t get what you get out of speculating about what would or would not have happened if we had of played away or been put in quarantine for the final. Guess you can’t be proven wrong, but still has a bit of a stench to it.
Nah we're mentally weak, had we spent a week in hotel quarantine it would have broken us.

Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

How XON doesn't get a game ahead of Petch, Ainsworth and also Ah Chee is beyond me. O'Neill showed a lot his first couple weeks, did quieten after that but that's not unusual for a first year player. Today would've been about 3 weeks since his last game so he would have been fresh and offered a damn sight more than those three. He does actually have nouse and knows how to find it. Petrucelle will never be an AFL standard player, his problem is not that he's young it's that he has no idea how to get the ball.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
You're kidding yourself if you think that had an impact.

Everyone was writing off Collingwood before any of the "dirty club" stuff was mentioned.
They were always going to be up for fight.

Bottom line is we let Cox of the chain early and we had 3 genuine
Playing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back