Autopsy AFL 2017 - Elimination and Qualifying Finals - What did you like, learn and hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked Richmond's win - long suffering....
Liked Richmond VFL winning and Shai Bolton's screamer.
Liked Port losing only because of Kane Cornes.
Disliked BT Sports for stopping the telecast of the Port / WC game after regular time.

Last edited:
Loved: GWS losing

Liked: Adelaide and Richmond winning; extra time excitement and drama

Learnt: I was on the fence for Richmond/Geelong but found myself barracking for the tigers from the first bounce. Who knew?

Hated: Sydney winning. Channel 7 being channel 7

Liked: The crows big win and the fact we didn't carry on after the siren.. looked like business as usual. This team and fans know there is along way to go. LOVED the ending to the Port/WC game.. wow what a final. such a typical 2017 game
Hated: The realisation the crows will have to play Sydney in a prelim final..
Learned: Richmond will actually be in the Grand final.. they are there. amazing for a club like Richmond.

I love how the narrative has changed from "will laugh when the tiges miss the top 8" to "will laugh when they miss out on top 4 and lose their first final" to "will laugh when they go out in straight sets" to now "will laugh when they lose the grand final" haha brilliant stuff rod!

Not really from this round of games per se, but a big like for me has been the North fans saltiness about anything to do with Richmond since Dusty rejected them.

As for the round.
Liked
Richmond winning
Getting on the easier side of the fixture.

Hated (well, disliked)
The margins. 2 games were never really in doubt from quite early, and Geelong/Richmond was one way most of the time, but Richmond couldn't put that on the scoreboard until late.

Learnt
Perhaps Richmond does have a Finals game plan that could go far this year. I really thought the age/inexperience/size of the team would be a problem.
Geelong can't beat a top8 team away from KP.

Liked: Extra time - should have it during the season as well.
Learnt: GWS forwards line is too big and slow and Lobb should be the number 1 ruck next week. Martin is the best midfielder in the comp.
Hated: Blow outs, Essendon out classed, GWS lacked effort.
Wondering: Last year GWS made Sydney look old and slow the 1st week and Sydney bounced back. I wonder if GWS can bounce back this year.

Liked: Swans domination in the air with their contested marking. Richmond adding excitement.

Dislike: Richmond's inability to score despite their total domination. Despite the dam wall busting in the last qtr they were still 3.10 nearing 3/4 time indicating difficulty scoring with their small forward.

Learnt: PF winner between the Swans and Adelaide looking like premiers. Swans especially, although their still have a road to travel.

Liked: Swans domination in the air with their contested marking. Richmond adding excitement.

Dislike: Richmond's inability to score despite their total domination. Despite the dam wall busting in the last qtr they were still 3.10 nearing 3/4 time indicating difficulty scoring with their small forward.

Learnt: PF winner between the Swans and Adelaide looking like premiers. Swans especially, although their still have a road to travel.
I actually think the crows will beat Sydney in the prelim however if the tigers make it I'd prefer to play Sydney than the crows. I think we'd have a better chance of getting over the swans than the crows in the g.

Learned: Some teams need to stop rushing and making silly errors in Finals.
Hated: Seeing Sam Jacobs cry at the end of the game. You have to feel bad for the bloke, man. (oh and Brodie Smith)
Liked: Watching Port vs West Coast, amazing game (apart from the result *sniff*)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked watching Essendon getting ripped to shreds. So brave.
Liked watching buddy come back from a corky. On the Watt bike for 3 mins = 4 goals.
Liked watching Richmonds determination. They really are playing like TIGERS(cue rob sitches/imran khan 'like a tiger' impersonation).
Losing isn't an option for them anymore and it shows.

Liked watching the eagles/port game but hated seeing it decided with a free kick.
Yes it was there but I'd rather see a frantic stoppage and snapped goal under pressure to seal it.

Surely it's down to the Tigers, Crows and Swans.
If I could choose it'd be the swans coming from 0-6.
OK OK maybe Richmond.
There'll be some very idle psychologists in Melbourne if the Tigers can do it this year.:p

Liked: High standard and intensity. Finish from Power v Eagles

Learnt: Over complex game plans go out the window but structures and positioning are vital. The teams that have a disciplined system that is flexible to the situation do damage. You also need flair. Richmond, Swans Adelaide the standouts.

Hate: Essendon just capitulated badly. Non event.

I actually think the crows will beat Sydney in the prelim however if the tigers make it I'd prefer to play Sydney than the crows. I think we'd have a better chance of getting over the swans than the crows in the g.
I'm hearing you, however if I was a Tigers supporter I would prefer to play Adelaide out of Adelaide and Sydney.

I just think Sydney's team is a lot more finals hardened and Adelaide, despite a great year would be pretty nervous when faced with a pro-Richmond crowd.

Regardless... I'm definitely on the Tigers bandwagon! Carn the Tigers!!

Liked: Happy Tiger fans after being the butt of jokes. Port/WCE match was absorbing.

Learnt: The Crows have earned favouritism. Tigers can play finals footy. The Bloods cannot progress if they play three ordinary quarters against better opposition.

Disliked: Goddard's kneeing of opponents, lack of spine from GWS and the Cats (but expect them to rebound on Friday).

Liked: WCE/Port finish, Swans brutal, Tiger army noise
Disliked: Losing/Adelaide pure power, Injuries, bitter North supporters - what is it about them specifically? They just manage to suck the enjoyment out of every moment.

Liked:
Not a lot, couple of bits.
1. The sight on TV of the MCG rocking packed with Tigers fans was awesome.

2. The pressure and the fight in WC and Port

Learnt: The Crows and Tigers have the GF this year and the Crows have the flag. Anything else would surprise me.

Hated: All the way to Adelaide on Thursday night to sit in a front row seat ( which I hate) in the rain with no way out. The aisles were blocked by people seeking shelter on the concourse. Surrounded by Crows fans who kept standing up around me so I couldn't see what was happening ( possibly a blessing in disguise).
I got an AFL survey for the game and boy are their ears gonna be burning.

Apart from that it was great. I actually like Adelaide and cant blame the Crows supporters for being excited with the game their guys played. I hope they win the GF if we dont, and we wont.

Liked: Richmond being the only Melbourne team left.
Learnt: Being an hour down the road is just the same as being interstate.
Hated: The sealife dying off due to all the salt in Corio bay.

Liked: The closeness of the Port vs WCE final for the neutral. Was a great match!

Hated: Essendon getting smashed by Sydney and only being in the game for a quarter.

Learnt: Well, I've know this a while to be fair. Outside running footy looks exciting but it does not stack up in finals. Please Essendon can we buy some midfield grunt to help support our fantastic KPP's at both ends?

Liked: West Coast gutsy win. Out pointed in all but the first quarter but yet found a way to win.

Learned: (relearned) that Sydney and Adelaide are the teams to beat.

Hated: that Geelong lady complaining about Richmond supporters just because we were too loud and jeering Touhy when he was kicking out. Has she not been to a big football match before?

Liked: "Yellow and Black"

Learned: sometimes things you like are bad for your health ^^

Hated: the bye. It's just rubbish. And it produces rubbish football. The quality of all finals varied from sub par to atrocious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back