AFL 2017 - R1 - Collingwood v W.Bulldogs, MCG, 7.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

66K isn't a poor crowd for the Pies hosting the Doggies, we tend to overestimate crowd numbers.

Let the Doggies fans have a bit of arrogance, its one of the perks that comes with being the premiers.
It's the second highest attended Bulldogs game ever...home and away game that is.
edit 3rd highest game.

Last edited:
Say what you want but Chris Mayne was decent last night. Obviously improvement is needed, but for those who paid attention, he didn't do much wrong (but for that fumbled mark in the last few minutes). He has a positive influence in our forward line.

His second half was pretty good, Collingwood showed a bit tonight and if they can beat Richmond then they might be in for a competitive season.

Well deserved win to the Dogs. They look good for 2017. Umpires were not a factor in my opinion. Unfortunately for Collingwood our problems seem to be very similar to what they were in recent seasons. Poor skills with turnovers killing us. Strong effort will only go so far. Some big improvements needed if finals a chance.
I felt a bigger presence from your talls up forward could have made it tougher for us and tip the ledger your way.

Felt our defensive structure was a big factor in our victory.

It was a good game, we gave a good account of ourselves but the Dogs seemed to cut us up on the spread.
Part of their really accurate kicking for goal was that they started higher percentage chances, you don't miss many streaming into an open goal.
We had a few costly skill errors and our forward line didn't fire on all cylinders (delivery in part not flash).
Thought Mayne was OK, would rather him than Blair.

Our midfield was on top most of the game but we just couldn't get scores on the board when it mattered. Still a great Round 1 from the Pies and can't wait for Richmond next week.

Don't get why some people consistently blame umpires for losses. I certainly didn't see it that way. A few missed opportunities and a few poor skill errors and the Doggies were away. Hard to get back when you give away so much early. That said, I liked enough of what I saw from the Pies last night. I'm thinking that with a few quality players to be added over the coming weeks our season is not too badly set up. Time will tell but I'd think that if you can get past the fear of once again being one of the most injured sides of the last few years there should be a semblance of confidence around the club. (Wood touched!)

I felt a bigger presence from your talls up forward could have made it tougher for us and tip the ledger your way.

Felt our defensive structure was a big factor in our victory.
Bit of the chicken and the egg. Yes Moore and Cox were poor but also our traditional weakness of poor delivery into the front half meant they had a tougher time. Until Buckley can resolve this issue we will not contend for finals. Wells was recruited I reckon for that more than anything as he is elite in that area. He and Elliott would improve our kicking.

Don't get why some people consistently blame umpires for losses. I certainly didn't see it that way. A few missed opportunities and a few poor skill errors and the Doggies were away. Hard to get back when you give away so much early. That said, I liked enough of what I saw from the Pies last night. I'm thinking that with a few quality players to be added over the coming weeks our season is not too badly set up. Time will tell but I'd think that if you can get past the fear of once again being one of the most injured sides of the last few years there should be a semblance of confidence around the club. (Wood touched!)

Because for some reason, there is a vocal group of haters on BF that seem to get their rocks off from whinging about umpires (or luck, or the media, or Tom Boyd) rather than providing any decent insights into the game. Complete victim mentalities abound.

I honestly hope this isn't a reflection of how they behave IRL because if it is, that's just ****ing sad.

How about at least three Colllingwood goals stuffed up by poor decision making.

I agree the umps should have paid that mark to I think it was Moore mid-way through the last term but overall they didn't have any real impact on the result.
That's called the Jarryd Blair effect. Steps up like no other in trying to derail his sides scoring opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a good game, we gave a good account of ourselves but the Dogs seemed to cut us up on the spread.
Part of their really accurate kicking for goal was that they started higher percentage chances, you don't miss many streaming into an open goal.

I agree ... Collingwood were the better midfield all night, but when the Dogs got out they were kicking to a forward line with space everywhere. First half the Dogs seemed happy to kick long and let J.J run onto it towards goal. When Collingwood went forward it was too crowded

I agree ... Collingwood were the better midfield all night, but when the Dogs got out they were kicking to a forward line with space everywhere. First half the Dogs seemed happy to kick long and let J.J run onto it towards goal. When Collingwood went forward it was too crowded
The real difference between the sides IMO is as simple as confidence and momentum built on converted opportunity. With every opportunity missed the Pies' confidence dropped and with every one taken by the Doggies theirs increased which in turn gave them momentum. I was pretty impressed with the Pies' ability to turn the tide of that momentum after Q1 but by then the damage was pretty much done. It'd be a harsh judge who could say that was not a pretty good game to watch in terms of intensity IMO.

Collingwood were very solid last night. I thought Adams, Treloar and Sidebottom were dominant. Grundy was giving them 1st use and it is clear the 3rd man up rule and injury to Roughead is a real headache for us. Combine with the stats and we didn't have much right to kick a winning score.

Our backline was superb under pressure and I think we got a more even contribution across the squad, seemed to really punish any Magpie mistakes and employ a more influential system of moving the ball quick and direct. Aside from that run of goals we conceded late in the 2nd (fasolo went berserk) I felt we were controlling the game just enough to get a result against a well performed opponent.

We are a bit of anamoly at the moment, defying some of the conventions and footy "truths" about what whatsuccessful teams do, what makes a Premiership side etc. in a pre game interview somene said "stats showed you were hardly a recipe for Premiership success" and yet by virtue of winning it, we were. Stats sheet last night tells a similar story.

We are a bit of anamoly at the moment, defying some of the conventions and footy "truths" about what whatsuccessful teams do, what makes a Premiership side etc. in a pre game interview somene said "stats showed you were hardly a recipe for Premiership success" and yet by virtue of winning it, we were. Stats sheet last night tells a similar story.
:D and don't we hate it

Thanks for confirming you are blind.

Was a clear punch that sent the ball up and then Moore took the second grab.

Perhaps you should give up? You suck at anything football related.
It took the commentary team a few replays (and slow-mo) to declare it simultaneous contact. From the umps perspective he gets one viewing at high speed and sees someone swing the big fist, the ball fly high in the air and is expected to make a decision. Yes, these have been paid as marks before, but not with the 100% accuracy some whiners are suggesting.

Our midfield is incredible, but out forward line is a lot worse than I gave it credit for. Our back line on the other hand, it needs a bit of work but the media and opposition fans really overreacted over the off-season. It's no worse than it was in 2016, natural improvement in the youngsters makes it better.

If we had a freak key forward like a Lynch or Kennedy, and a top tier small like Eddie or Walters; we'd be a premeirship threat but until then, this is going to be a weekly thing. Our forward line was garbage last night.

Omfg it was a good crowd, it was a Collingwood crowd, that's why! You may think your s**t don't stink. But we still outnumbered you

What you on about? I was relying to a Richmond supporter who was having a crack at the turnout of Collongwood / Bulldog supporters.

I said it was a good crowd, and didn't say Dogs outnumbered Pies.

Missing the point buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back