Play Nice AFL 2017 - R1 - Essendon v Hawthorn, MCG, 7.25pm - Note: drug related posts will result in bans.

Remove this Banner Ad

will be interesting to see how the new hawkes midfield go
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Even after jettisoning Mitchell and Lewis, and minus Hodge, this will be Hawthorn's oldest ever Round 1 team by a fair margin. There's an expectation they'll get the job done against an opponent who might not be a pushover. West Coast in a similar position.

It will be interesting to see with so many new/returning faces in the 2 sides. There could be a bit of a lack of cohesion from both teams. I expect it will be a match with heavy swings of momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year Gunston and Sicily got the number one and number two defenders respectively, now with Roughead and Vickery in the team they'll likely get the third and fourth best making it even harder for opposition teams to defend against them. Throw in Rioli, Breust and Puopolo for good measure.

Good luck to the Essendon defenders when the ball hits the ground inside the Hawthorn forward 50.

Yes. These are examples of illicit drugs.

If you would like completely non bay like responses then expect sombre and serious condemnation on the the return of convicted drug cheats.
A permanent blight on our great game.

That's fine, I have no real dramas. Just stating what was happening.

Regards the game, I'm surprised Essendon didn't pick Stewart as 2nd ruck/forward and have Ambrose take Gunston. If Hooker plays deep Daniher will be hard for hawks defenders to stop if he's playing as a lead up half forward, allowing Essendon to play fast. I expect Essendon's KPDs to cover Hawks talls but with a selection of raw skinny kids and old men playing as small/medium defenders I feel that Puopolo, Bruest and Rioli could cut the bombers to shreds if given space.

If Bombers at least break even in the middle and are able to close up space on Hawthorn's small forwards they should be able to control the game. If Hawthorn win stoppages easily and are able to feed the ball to Smith and other speedy mids in space they'll move the ball too quick and have their tall forwards at least drawing marking contests and their small forwards will have enough space to put a winning score on the board.

With both forward lines having an advantage over their opposition, it could be a high scoring game unless both sides fold back significantly.

Essendon by 17. (both sides scoring over 90 points)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back