AFL 2017 - R1 - St Kilda v Melbourne, Etihad Stadium, 4.35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Skipped over to Port/Swans because thought it'd be a close ending, and now feel sick reading that Riewoldt might have done his ACL. It was unjust that Judd ended that way, it'd be even more unjust for Riewoldt to miss the Saints rise, hopefully Riewoldt just has a minor strain and is back out there ASAP.

Class performance by Melbourne though. Only Watts and Melksham haven't contributed (obviously Smith didn't get much of a go with his arm injury), other than that it's been a full team performance with Jones, Lewis, Vince, Gawn leading the way, with some excellent performances from Oliver (almost BOG?), Petracca and Hunt.

Great win. Had a bad feeling someone was going to do an ACL today, hopefully for Riewoldt's sake it's just a hyper-extension.

The 2015 draft is looking like a cracker. Oliver is next level good and he's only marginally better than Parish who went the pick after (some might even say Parish has more runs on board). Gresham, a freak, went in the same round. So much for a weak crop, as was spruiked at the time.

Saints would like Petracca now me thinks. McCartin will get his chance with Nick's injury but has been very underwhelming to date. Petracca's a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only aspect that should concern Dees fans is how they went missing when we did apply pressure.

Our skills and midfield were woeful from the start. Our workrate and pressure in 1st qtr was what got us the early lead. The most disappointing aspect for us was how quickly that pressure fell away.

Melbourne play a good outside game and for the life of me I don't understand why we didn't go more man on man after the second quarter. Most teams would have run over us once our workrate dropped off.

We have a lot of work to do if we're not going to be out of contention 4-5 games into this season. Very disappointing.

N
And yet it was 'Fatboy' Olivier that tore them open...
I'm not disputing that but a lot of the hype around St Kilda surrounds Their senior players, who all went missing while ours stood up. Oliver Tracca and Brayshaw are the future and if they play to this level consistently our future is bright indeed

Geez, that's impressive from Melbourne, especially since the Saints got the early run.

I reckon the Melbourne of even a year or two ago might have decided it was all a bit too hard after that start....
Agree 100%. The drop off even last year would've occurred, we did have a lead at quarter time in a game last year and ended up losing. As well as improving our game, we've obviously improved our mental approach.

N

I'm not disputing that but a lot of the hype around St Kilda surrounds Their senior players, who all went missing while ours stood up. Oliver Tracca and Brayshaw are the future and if they play to this level consistently our future is bright indeed
I've stated on a number of occasions that I believe our youth is the best in the business. Petracca, Oliver, Weidemann, Brayshaw, Hunt, Hogan, ANB, Stretch, Gawn, Viney.... there are 10 players that have the ability to be part of a successful Melbourne era.

People give GWS the kudos for their youth, I don't think Melbourne is that far behind, nor St Kilda for that matter.

I've stated on a number of occasions that I believe our youth is the best in the business. Petracca, Oliver, Weidemann, Brayshaw, Hunt, Hogan, ANB, Stretch, Gawn, Viney.... there are 10 players that have the ability to be part of a successful Melbourne era.

People give GWS the kudos for their youth, I don't think Melbourne is that far behind, nor St Kilda for that matter.

hahaha ,,, Hunt is now in your best 22 LMAO ,,, good to see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back