Autopsy AFL 2017 - R10 - Liked, Hated, Learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

liked: We won a close one! Indigenous Round! Thursday night footy!
Hated: Deliberate rushed behind
learnt: Never write off any team, it is becoming fairly even competition in the AFL
- Sydney vs Hawthorn will be a match of the year

Learnt: The current ladder supports my read of the 2017 season, and that is that all teams seem to have little runs of about 3 weeks of good form.
The current longest active winning streak is just 3 wins (GWS). Adelaide, Geelong, Collingwood and North have each won 2 in a row.

Liked: Winning and keeping the pressure up...2 down, 1 to go...
Selwood, Danger, Duncan and Scott Selwood....

Learnt: Can you believe Fremantle are 7th currently? They must surely be the worst top 8 team of all time after round 10?
Kurt Tippett is finished as a top line big money player!

Hated: The deliberate rushed behind given against Richmond, insane decision.
Cats in "white" shorts for home games WTF is this?
Luke Darcy and Richo tossing off over Alex Rance. He was as loose as a $2 hooker on Acland street in the first half...all this best defender of all time stuff is utter nonsense!

Liked: being on the winners list by playing a four-quarter game (ok, three quarters, but we were in the lead at the first change). Getting into the top four...for now.
Perfect umpiring at my game. Yeah, I said it. Come at me bro. ;)
The Bowl of the Century being applied to a footy. That goal was unbelievable and almost comical.
Roughy's goal on Sydney. Magic.

Learnt: St Kilda lost the game at selection. Midfield was good, but attack and defense were woeful by midway of the 2nd quarter.
Tim English isn't ready, but he will be great for us when he is.
Adelaide are scarier than I thought (and I thought they were scary enough already). 100-point drubbing to Freo in the ******* wet if you don't mind.

Hated: I don't like to bash umpires but the rushed behind decision at the Richmond-Essendon game. Yes, it is the correct ruling based on the letter of the rules. Yes, the rule does make the game more exciting. But come on...in a game with many 'grey' rule interpretations, that was a 'benefit of the doubt' if ever there was one.
West Coast losing. If they won, I know we'd be in 5th instead of 4th, but top 2 wouldn't be 2 games ahead of us.
Port Adelaide losing. FFS Dixon.

I was going to give you a like, until your very last point. That was close to my highlight of the weekend. Well, it made me very amused at the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learnt: The current ladder supports my read of the 2017 season, and that is that all teams seem to have little runs of about 3 weeks of good form.
The current longest active winning streak is just 3 wins (GWS). Adelaide, Geelong, Collingwood and North have each won 2 in a row.

What about Adelaide's start of 6 wins, then there is GWS with 5 wins after their first round defeat?

Liked: Lachie Weller. In a team that was flogged from the opening siren, he managed 30 poss, 7 rebound 50s and 2 goal. That's Clayton Oliver territory!
Hated: Charlie Dixon's play on call. Why now?
Learned: Line through Carlton and Gold Coast. I was pretty sure Brisbane were the only team who definitely couldn't make a fist of 2017 until this week. The Blues, in particular, would be disappointed they haven't made more progress. Losses to St Kilda, Freo and North in the last 3 weeks - they would have been expecting to win at least 2 of them (maybe all) going into the season.

I was going to give you a like, until your very last point. That was close to my highlight of the weekend. Well, it made me very amused at the very least.
LOL. In that context, it was amusing, have to agree with that. Just didn't want Geelong to win for ladder position reasons. Not that your mob has to worry about that right now! :p

Liked: Our defensive pressure and fight to come back from what seemed like an insurmountable lead at the end of the 1st quarter.
Learnt: That, although nobody likes losing, sometimes a loss can feel like a win in terms of the lessons learned by a young side.
Hated: That the umpires can so heavily influence a quarter of football. 10 free kicks to 3 is astounding, with at least 3 baffling calls directly resulting in goals and one missed throw in our forward 50 that would have been a very gettable goal if it was called, but resulted in going directly to the other end for a goal.
After reviewing the first again, there's some calls that I thought were bad on the day, but I've since softened on, but if it was called evenly it would have been a free kick count more like 6-7 and a score more like 20-18 in North's favour.

LOL. In that context, it was amusing, have to agree with that. Just didn't want Geelong to win for ladder position reasons. Not that your mob has to worry about that right now! :p

I think it was hard for a lot of crows supporters in watching that game trying to figure out who did we want to lose more? That Paddy kicked the winning goal was about the only time many of us have liked him in the past year.

Liked - after that debacle, we don't have to go to Adelaide again this year.

Learnt - Freo supporters who sat through that debacle either at the game or at home (and refused to switch off) deserve a medal. That was the worst team effort of any team in any match so far this year.

Hated - losing by 100 points which now makes our combined losing margin at the Adelaide Oval 189 points. Rolled over from start to finish.

Learnt - Freo supporters who sat through that debacle either at the game or at home (and refused to switch off) deserve a medal. That was the worst team effort of any team in any match so far this year.

I was thinking that myself. It's hard to imagine too many footy experiences worse than spending all that money on flights and accommodation (as well as giving up pretty much your entire weekend) to come all the way over here, sit out there in the pouring rain and freezing cold for a few hours, and have to watch your team get bent over like that. At least if they'd been competitive you might be able to walk away with something, but to go through all that just to watch that performance... ugh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back