AFL 2017 - R14 - Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants 16:35 AEST: GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

upload_2017-6-24_10-14-16.png

Where : 16:35 AEST Gabba
25° Sunny

upload_2017-6-24_10-16-0.png

Match Preview

A refreshed Greater Western Sydney line-up will head to the Gabba to take on the struggling Brisbane Lions on the back of a bye. A few selection questions await, including doubt over Josh Kelly's fitness and if the Lions pick Josh Schache after his five-goal haul in the NEAFL last weekened. The Lions have shown some stronger form over the last few weeks, but will this match see them crash back to earth? Dayne Zorko, Dayne Beams and Tom Rockliff will meet a highly-rated Giants midfield head on in a tough battle that could shape things. Their young guns will also need to stand up this weekend if they are any chance of beating a GWS side that will be out to make a statement after being upset by the Blues at Etihad Stadium two weeks ago. The Lions will need to bring their best defensive game to stand a chance against the favoured Giants, who have won their last three matches against the Lions by an average of 51 points.

Alex Witherden will make his debut for the Brisbane Lions on Saturday afternoon against the Greater Western Sydney GIANTS. Witherden dominated in the midfield in the Lions' NEAFL win over Southport last Saturday, collecting 30 disposals. Taken at pick #23 in the 2016 National Draft, the 18-year-old came to the Lions on his way back from a broken leg which ended his 2016 season. Witherden is the fourth player from the Lions' 2016 National Draft pool to make his senior debut. Rohan Bewick has also earned a senior recall. Bewick hasn't played in the senior side since the Lions' Round 8 loss to Hawthorn.

GWS Midfielder Josh Kelly has failed to overcome a hip complaint and has been withdrawn from the side to take on the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday afternoon. Kelly has been replaced in the selected side by forward Daniel Lloyd who will come in to play his fifth AFL game since making his debut in round eight this season. Young defender Harry Perryman will join Jeremy Finlayson and Tim Mohr as the emergencies for this match.

Tip: GWS by 29

If the Gaints do whats expected this time they will be back on top of the ladder.
:eek:Who are the Gaints you speak of, and are they a threat in September?
Seriously
Hoping Nick Haynes comes back well. Also that Jake Barrett has a good game but not too good, always limed his heart and effort. Great to see Leon wish him well in the pre-game presser.
We haven't won after the mid-season bye and the Lions have had a recent dominant win over Freo. Not a lot between too and bottom sides bit we've got the talent out there to win.
Pretty confident this week, vibe from the club seems to be it's time to knuckle down and start to dominate. Not sure we can but suspect we'll have a dominant win today.
download (35).jpg

Are Brisbane a sneaky chance today?

Some points of interest:

The home team wins 75% of matches where the away team comes off a bye.

GWS have never won coming off a bye - small sample size and admittedly they were a poor side for most of those matches, however the trend could at the very least point to GWS having not unlocked the recipe for how to deal with the week off.

Brisbane have started games quite well recently. Their worst first quarter in the last 4 matches had them down by 15 points. In that time they won the first quarter against Adelaide and also had a dominant first quarter against Fremantle. They also haven't lost a first quarter at home since round 6 (admittedly having played few matches at home since then).

On the other hand, the Giants have not won a first quarter since round 7 - yes, round 7. Since then they have lost first quarters to Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast, Essendon and Carlton. They have lost the first quarter by an average of 17 points in this time (conceding an average of 31 points whilst only scoring 14 points themselves). I haven't looked up league-wide stats specifically but I'm guessing this is close to the worst in the league over the last 6 rounds.

If the Giants come out sluggish after the bye and Brisbane take their chances early, combined with a home ground advantage, the Lions could well find themselves leading at quarter time and well into the second quarter. I still expect GWS to win as they have too much class across the field but depending on how both teams start, this could well be closer than most expect.

Tip: GWS by 6

Are Brisbane a sneaky chance today?

Some points of interest:

The home team wins 75% of matches where the away team comes off a bye.

GWS have never won coming off a bye - small sample size and admittedly they were a poor side for most of those matches, however the trend could at the very least point to GWS having not unlocked the recipe for how to deal with the week off.

Brisbane have started games quite well recently. Their worst first quarter in the last 4 matches had them down by 15 points. In that time they won the first quarter against Adelaide and also had a dominant first quarter against Fremantle. They also haven't lost a first quarter at home since round 6 (admittedly having played few matches at home since then).

On the other hand, the Giants have not won a first quarter since round 7 - yes, round 7. Since then they have lost first quarters to Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast, Essendon and Carlton. They have lost the first quarter by an average of 17 points in this time (conceding an average of 31 points whilst only scoring 14 points themselves). I haven't looked up league-wide stats specifically but I'm guessing this is close to the worst in the league over the last 6 rounds.

If the Giants come out sluggish after the bye and Brisbane take their chances early, combined with a home ground advantage, the Lions could well find themselves leading at quarter time and well into the second quarter. I still expect GWS to win as they have too much class across the field but depending on how both teams start, this could well be closer than most expect.

Tip: GWS by 6
We beat the Swans after the bye in the finals.

But yeah. Not confident on this one.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We beat the Swans after the bye in the finals.

But yeah. Not confident on this one.

I still think the disparity in talent between the sides will be too much. You honestly should have them covered, barring a disastrous first half I can't see the Lions holding on for long enough to be in front at the end of the game..

I still think the disparity in talent between the sides will be too much. You honestly should have them covered, barring a disastrous first half I can't see the Lions holding on for long enough to be in front at the end of the game..
Those words could of been written before any of the last 5 games we played and we lost and or almost lost all of them.

We really needed the bye given our injuries. We will come out strong.
We needed a bye because we we playing poorly.

Will see how we turn out today.

Peolple going on about our monster depth etc probably dont notice we are last in the NEAFL having won 1 game.

We are doing well as our injuries have hit at a time when we arent playing top of the ladder teams. When we do it could be bad.

Not confident against the lower ladder teams either.

We needed a bye because we we playing poorly.

Will see how we turn out today.

Peolple going on about our monster depth etc probably dont notice we are last in the NEAFL having won 1 game.

We are doing well as our injuries have hit at a time when we arent playing top of the ladder teams. When we do it could be bad.

Not confident against the lower ladder teams either.

We have been playing poorly and winning. Even with the injuries if our players just merely play better we will dominate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's a contact sport etc and injuries happen but do commentators have to celebrate mumford ironing blokes out so much?

Far more entertaining to watch skilled ball players like Beams do their best work, than watch some lumbering oaf ironing blokes out

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back