Autopsy AFL 2017 - R20 - Liked, Hated, Learnt

3 round remaining,

Liked - the race for the 8 continues to be close

Hated - The injury woes continue for the Dogs

Learnt - Some players aren't keeping in sync with the rules for protecting the head of an opponent when bringing them to ground

DustinsGuns

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked-
- Essendon, Saints and dogs winning. Yep, they weren't against world beaters but they did here than Melbourne last week and the Eagles this week
- Tiges consolidating top 4
- Ryan's game for Freo. Surely will get the rising star

Hated
- Port Adelaide's pathetic performance today in the showdown. These matches are normally a treat
-Brown being hospitalised by an innocuous tackle from Grundy. Lose-lose situation for all

Learnt
- Power shouldn't be anywhere near the 8 but a lucky draw has them pushing top 4

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Liked - Richmond. How can you not? Great effort today. Clean, hard, measured, selfless, confident. Hope they go all the way.

Adelaide are the best side. Got everything. Can't fault them. Going to be hard to beat.

Learnt - Melbourne lack leaders. Melbourne lack a desire to be physical. Melbourne avoid contested football. Melbourne don't take responsibility.

I've learnt that neither Jordan Lewis and Bernie Vince can play in the same side. See you Bernie.

I've learnt that Jack Watts needs to be playing VFL then traded whilst he has currency.

Hated - Losing to North then watching them lose to Collingwood last night.

Melbourne finishing their season like that. Let's face it, finals won't happen, and if they do, ill be surprised.

giphy.gif

Is there a free seat at this table. Sucks doesn't it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
3 round remaining,

Liked - the race for the 8 continues to be close

Learnt - Some players aren't keeping in sync with the rules for protecting the head of an opponent when bringing them to ground
Why would the players stop and think about the rules in the heat of the moment? Stop focusing on the outcome, focus on the actions. If it's illegal, ban them, if it isn't, don't ban them. Irrespective of the result.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Liked : Wearing Blue shorts... nothing else

Learnt: Tigers will play off...

Hated: Insipid performance, injuries, season over!
The AFL are the killing our game, rise up and protest these fools footy fans, the game is being abducted from us all...GIL must go!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Liked: how the poorer sides of the last few seasons are more competitive and are now much harder to beat - lions, blues, bombers etc making for a far better comp. Liked the way my dogs can win when challenged and without playing well.

Disliked: the new phenomana of tackling and the focus on the outcome. Dont want my game full of players frightened to tackle.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Liked: all results going our way bar Melbourne not beating the Giants which would have us sitting in 2nd spot.

Learnt: we can win without jack up fwd. Beat the cats next week and a home qualifying final is ours for the taking.

Hated: that I couldn't watch the Hawks tigers game anywhere while in Fiji and it will be the same storynext week for the geelong game.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Liked : Brisbane emerging out of the doldrums. Hawthorn being eliminated from finals contention.

Hated: Our insipid performance, even though we won.

Learnt: The flag is a 3 way race between GWS, Crows and Swans with Richmond an outside chance

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Liked: all results going our way bar Melbourne not beating the Giants which would have us sitting in 2nd spot.

Learnt: we can win without jack up fwd. Beat the cats next week and a home qualifying final is ours for the taking.

Hated: that I couldn't watch the Hawks tigers game anywhere while in Fiji and it will be the same storynext week for the geelong game.
I know a good free site if ur intrested.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Liked:The narrative of this season. 3 weeks out and only the top 3 are certain. Each round throws up 8pt games.
Brissy growing week by week.
Heppell. Played a massive captains game.

Learned: bleh. what is there to learn.

Hated: the effort of too many Essendon players against Carlton
Merrett's whack to the guts. unnecessary and costs us an important midfielder if he gets suspended.
Raz's injury.

mattpolo8

Red and white tragic
Sep 25, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Miami Heat
Liked: Swans demolishment at the cattery.
Richmond ending Hawthorn's season.
Seeing Deledio back. Has been a favourite player of mine for some time. Just a pity it's with my rival now.

Learnt: The Dogs are not back after a final 10 min win over Essendon and 14pt win over Brisbane.
Adelaide forward line is red hot. Unstoppable when they are on. Eddie Betts arguably best small forward since..?
The gap between the top 6 and the rest is massive. Can't see 7th/8th and probably Port troubling any sides in finals.

Hated: Selwood injury. Good for opposition teams. But tough player. Don't like to see champs out.
Really nit picky and wrong play on calls after taking marks. Umps really seemed to be on it this round but in a bad way.

Capt Hindsight

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Liked:
Essendon learning to win ugly.
Eddie Betts show.
Deledio getting through a match.
Learnt:
GWS still scary when they click.
Lions developing very nicely and should avoid the spoon.
Adelaide should make a GF with two home finals at Adelaide oval.
Hated:
Brain fade by Merrett.
Injuries especially seeing Ben Brown off on the stretcher (lucky seems to be okay).

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Not the best showdown after which to make the call, but I learned that Sam Jacobs is a big game player - 3rd showdown medal and recall a few finals where he's been good.

Incidentally, the showdown medal is the best H&A medal going round

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Liked: .
1. Our mids clicking into gear at the right end if the season. Coniglio a huge part, with him and Hopper delivering our silk in Kelly and Shiel able to look for space and threaten outside more.

3. The Crows in the Showdown showed what an awesome side they are.

Learnt: Richmond showed the heart they need to be a serious contender against a very good team. Wondering when the negativity around predictions for them will disappear.

Hated: Nothing this week.

davos44

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Redbacks, Adel United
Liked:
Richmond winning and being taken seriously, a great club which was run by idiots for too long and now the benefits of a settled board, finances and staff. I respect their passionate supporters rocking up year in and out and copping some awful beltings and disappointments galore. I hope its an Adelaide Richmond Grand Final as it will be more fun than Adelaide GWS, Sydney GWS etc.
Adelaide Kerb-stomping Port and laughing at their inept kicking from defence which was mopped up by 3 loose crows time and time again.

Learned:
This comp is so even. its really good, Brisbane and Carlton supporters can probably go into 2018 with genuine hope and positivity.
Gold Coast are a basket case, something needs to happen. Its not Eades fault, they are a terrible side with a terrible culture and the quicker they send Ablett to Geelong the better.

Hated:
Saturday night football. Who planned that? Freo vs Gold Coast and Collingwood vs North. Yawn.

Back