Autopsy AFL 2017 - R21 - liked hated & learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked
Crows keeping the Dons at bay for most of the game to get the win required to guarantee a top 2 spot.
Geelong doing the Crows a favour for once and knocking off Richmond.

Hated

Watching the first quarter of the Port v Collingwood game. Some seriously bad skills on display. Thankfully things improved a bit from there, but it was horrible execution for such nice footy weather.
That there was so much talk about a pretty innocuous goal celebration from Joe Daniher. If anything, Hooker's celebration after his first goal probably merited more discussion, given his side was about 7 goals down at the time.

Learnt

GWS are starting to click into gear.
Despite being a very even season so far, it will be a surprise if any team outside of the top 5 makes the GF.
Otherwise fair tackles where the tackler pins the arms and his opponent hits his head on the ground will result in a free kick against the tackler.

Liked:
Andy McGrath. Immense game and didn't drop his head after a couple of clangers. Kid is class.
GWS spanking the dogs. Their credentials took a good step forward.

Hated:
The fuss over Toby Greene. Jon Ralph whinging that the MRP should rule on Saturday to stop the gossip that he was first to the table with......
News that a fellow poster was assaulted by a drunk opposition fan post-game. I hate what AFL brings out in some people. its just a game.

Learned:
Dees have their weaknesses but if they can put 4 quarters together, they will rattle some cages in finals.
Saints are missing star/flair power to make the 8.

Liked:
Geelong beating Richmond against the thoughts of many

Learned:
Geelong's 2nd tier aren't as bad as the thoughts of many

Hated:
The week of dread leading up to the game influenced by the thoughts of many.

Liked:
The return of Gus Brayshaw

Hated:
Umpiring

Learnt:
Final makeup of the eight is virtually set finally

Liked: Brisbane
Learnt: Crows, Sydney and GWS are going to be very hard to beat in September
Hated: Umpiring in general. It was terrible in the Essendon vs Adelaide game and we got the raw end of it big time

Liked: Winning when we were considered no chance by many. Our CHB giving the 'best defender in the league' a complete bath. Our second-tier putting the two-man team crap to bed.
Learnt: Freo are really going nowhere under Ross Lyon. Need to get rid of him fast if they want to go up.
Hated: Studs in the face, coaches having a sook in pressers, crappy drunk supporters.

I agree it was light hearted, but it's also really dumb to give your opposition any motivation with that kind of lairising.
The incident was definitely not the deciding moment. With Merrett and Fantasia out, the Crows were simply too good.

The prospect of a top 2 finish was the motivating factor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Tipping 9 this week and the Cats getting the job done without some star players.

Learnt: Hardwick is a big crybaby. Needs to accept the blame for his poor coaching performance in Geelong.

Hated: Watching the skills on display in some games (melb vs saints and port vs pies). Absolute rubbish.

Liked: Pleased for Melbourne fans. The Dees brushed past The Saints without Hogan and Watts. That's like going to the shops with a $20 note and leaving the $50 at home, and still coming home with the Porterhouse.

Learned: I'm not buying what Richmond are selling. Cats without Hawkins, Duncan and Selwood - Tigs blew this one.

Hated: Lean Cameron's 'hysteria' response to Toby Green's report is baffling. I fully expected the old 'we're disappointed, and so is Toby - he's made contact with Luke and apologised etc etc'. What we got was an insinuation that he was reported because the media has an axe to grind. Leon was given the keys to the Ferrari, but there are occasions when I wouldn't lend him my BMX.

Hated; the over-reaction to the Toby Greene incident and Joe Daniher celebration.

Learnt; Nothing all results went as I expected.

Like; securing a top 2 spot.

Liked: Reluctantly, the GWS win, oh and the Geelong win. Also. Carlton having a real crack

Hated: Fremantles shocker. I mean, I barrack for Sydney, but jesus, put up some kind of a fight

Learnt: Dogs, if they make finals, wont worry any team at all.
Adelaide, GWS, Sydney. It's a 3 horse race. Can't see any other team winning it.

Liked - Absolutely nothing whatsoever, nada, zilch, zero.
Learnt - Had it confirmed that the media are a bunch of absolute grubs....I mean Brad Hardie, what a ******* oxygen thief.
Hated - Everything about the Sydney vs Freo shambles from the game itself to the umpiring to the commentary.

The biggest positive - there's only 2 games left of this soul-destroying season. Finals can * off especially after my experience watching them last year. I'm not putting myself through that again.

Has this been the first round of the year where all the favourites gave won? It's been a truly bizarre season.

Liked: I know its been brewing but the emergence of Sydney is great for the competition. A very interesting finals series coming up.

Hated: Another non 4 quarter display by my team.

Learnt: We're finished. Bulldogs and the Dons will fight for 8th.

Liked:
Pretty much ending the Bulldogs season.
Seeing the better sides assert themselves as you'd expect in the last few rounds.

Learnt:
The Cats are actually our biggest rivals for a top 2 spot and a home QF. I thought it was Richmond. The Crows have one sewn up a home QF and have earned it. Richmond could finish on top of us but in that case we'll be 3rd and 4th I think.

Hated: The inevitable road to round 23 at Kardinya Park which we'll very likely have to win to secure 2nd spot and a home QF. Still we've known the fixture all season, and it's a grass oval like any other.

Last edited:
Liked: Crows sealing a top 2 finish.
Hated: The Swans.. they have the flag in the bag
Learnt: nothing

Liked:
Pretty much ending the Bulldogs season.
Seeing the better sides assert themselves as you'd expect in the last few rounds.

Learnt:
The Cats are actually our biggest rivals for a top 2 spot and a home QF. I thought it was Richmond. The Crows have one sewn up a home QF and have earned it. Richmond could finish on top of us but in that case we'll be 3rd and 4th I think.

Hated: The inevitable road to round 23 at Kardinya Park which we'll very likely have to win to secure 2nd spot and a home QF. Still we've known the fixture all season, and it's a grass oval like any other.
maybe in that it's grass, but thats about it.
dimensions are way off most other grounds.
its ridiculously narrow.

Liked:
Geelong with backs to the wall, missing 5 start-up players, prevailed against a hot Richmond

Learnt:
An all-Sydney GF is a possibility. Ugghhhhh!

Disliked:
Media crapping on about Joe Daniher costing Essendon the game by demonstrating he has personality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back