Autopsy AFL 2018 - Grand Final - West Coast v Collingwood

Is Rod ...

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Im sorry if somebody has said this already, but yeh pretty cool fact if noone has mentioned it yet?

everytime you draft a Rioli, they win the GF in their first year

Cyril 2008
Dan last year
Willie this year

So the magic forumla is to Draft a Rioli and you will in the GF in his first year hehehe

Sorry if its been mentioned but i cant scrol and read 50 - 100 pages
just wondering if anybody else has noticed

so DRAFT a rioli if possible and your team , in history, 3 of 3 Riolis winning a GF in their first year.. uncanny how the Rioli name is so special

PS has all the Rioli/Long family won premierships? what a family what a name
Willie was not drafted in 2017 so not correct technically

I could say the same your not getting it.
There is also commentators who said it wasn't a block. And coaches who said the same. Jordan Bannister came out said it's play on. You just cant seem to accept there is other people who think it wasn't a block.
And your right no point further discussing with you......................
Yep, this is nowhere near as clear cut as some would like to believe. So Mathews said it was a block? Malthouse said it wasn't. Razor Ray would have paid it? Matt James said he wouldn't. Robbo reckons it's a block? Ralph says not. It was a 50/50 call that would have been equally controversial if called.

You're still playing tit for tat...kennedy got a goal from a non-mark too..we could go on all day...I notice this is the approach of some others too.
So you're happy now to accept that Maynard was infringed as long as there is some kind of infringment tally across the game that evens it up so as to not undermine the legitimacy of your win? It doesn't work that way. That's not it either. West Coast are deserved winners in any case.

You miss the basic point - if you decide that you adopt a "put the whistle away" policy for umpiring a grand final you do so accepting the fact that there are going to be non-calls made on even blatant infringements.
Did these infringements occur yes - no point in denying them. If it was a home and away game where you attempt to call all frees then you would be pinged. If it was an umpire like Razor Ray Chamberlain you would expect to be pinged.
Was there an infringement on Maynard - yes.
Does the fact that a call wasn't made in "put the whistle away" umpiring cheapen West Coasts premiership - no - because that is the trade-off if you umpire this way.
If you don't want to accept no calls then umpire grand finals in the same way you do home and away games.

So what if there was an infringement on Maynard? He probably should've looked at the ball instead of Rioli (as well as wrapping his arm around his head) and he may have actually gotten paid a free. Instead he opted to play the man and got caught out of position when Sheed drifted across to take the mark.

You bang on about tit-for-tat when in reality if the umpires were hotter on the whistle WCE would've won by more - Stephenson's goal, Howe dragging the ball in, Rioli tackle in front of goal which would've been a free had the umpires adjudicated HTB the way they had all day etc. I don't really know where this pointless whinging about Maynard even comes from considering nobody even mentioned at the time other than Ling who cheer leads for Vic teams no matter how hard an interstate team is getting reamed by the umps anyway.

And this a why your 'evenhandedness' is disingenuous at best. Happy to put the focus on one missed free kick you didn't like while ignoring all the rest. Perhaps if the majority of your recent posts weren't about the 'Maynard free kick', people would be willing to accept your comments as genuine.

C'mon you guys ... ease up on the negative crap. To be fair - 'The Filth' has put up with a fair amount of provocation. Maybe he could have missed the "boy" comment but some of you have been 'baiting' him for a while now. Honestly, what response were you expecting when you continually bait someone?

Frankly, I do not see anything disingenuous in any of his posts. He makes a fair point re the alleged Maynard free and he is entitled to do so - it's not like he is the only that has done so!

I wonder if any of you guys saw the vision of the WCE players cleaning up the change rooms after their win? Well ... I think a few on here would do well to consider applying some of that humility to their posting style.

I went to the game and the roar from the Pies fans was absolutely something else when they kicked those early goals - made me think that the noise at Optus works for us just as the noise at the G worked for the Pies. It was actually awesome (in a strange way) hearing the roar after the second goal - Jaidyn Stephenson's snap I think - it filled the stadium and jangled my nerves.

Anyway - great day and it worked out well for this happy member and his family.:)

Defintion of choking in sport:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(sports)

"In sports, a choke is the failure of a sportsperson or team in a game in a situation where maintaining their performance is highly important. This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favored to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event."

Neither of these occurred. They weren't strongly favored to win by anyone, most thought it would be a close GF, and they didn't squander a large lead late in the game, they squandered it by the end of the first quarter.

Clear choke? No, its clearly NOT a choke by its very definition.
They were favoured and had 5 goal lead
Equals choke

C'mon you guys ... ease up on the negative crap. To be fair - 'The Filth' has put up with a fair amount of provocation. Maybe he could have missed the "boy" comment but some of you have been 'baiting' him for a while now. Honestly, what response were you expecting when you continually bait someone?

Frankly, I do not see anything disingenuous in any of his posts. He makes a fair point re the alleged Maynard free and he is entitled to do so - it's not like he is the only that has done so!

I wonder if any of you guys saw the vision of the WCE players cleaning up the change rooms after their win? Well ... I think a few on here would do well to consider applying some of that humility to their posting style.

I went to the game and the roar from the Pies fans was absolutely something else when they kicked those early goals - made me think that the noise at Optus works for us just as the noise at the G worked for the Pies. It was actually awesome (in a strange way) hearing the roar after the second goal - Jaidyn Stephenson's snap I think - it filled the stadium and jangled my nerves.

Anyway - great day and it worked out well for this happy member and his family.:)
It's been a week; focused entirely on the one decision. He says it was in the context of umpires putting the whistle away, yet he doesn't discuss a single other decision, just keeps coming back to this one in the dying stages. I haven't seen a lot of provocation, I have seen people telling him to get past that one decision that didn't alter the overall result of the game. And I'd stand by that.

Overall, I've been impressed by Collingwood fans before, during and after the grand final.

Equals choke
Equals choke
The Eagles hit the front by 2 points 20 minutes into the third quarter.
The remaining 38 minutes of play that finished the game resulted in the Eagles outscoring the Pies by 3 points.
3 points in 38 minutes. That’s not a choke.

Equals choke

You really are simple minded aren't you? Some of you really need to start reading this post before reacting (2 Hawks supporters actually, sheesh, what they serving in the water across in Hawthorn?)

Read again: "are strongly favored to win"

they were favored. not STRONGLY favored.

Read again: "where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event."

They didn't have a LARGE lead at the end of the game, they had a SMALL lead.
They did have a LARGE lead, but at the EARLY stages, not the LATE stages. That lead was essentially gone 15 minutes into the first quarter.

I'm just going to stop replying to people who need reading glasses or brain transplants. I don't even like Collingwood, but I'm finding myself defending them from people who can't grasp a simple definition.

Last edited:
You really are simple minded aren't you? Some of you really need to start reading this post before reacting (2 Hawks supporters actually, sheesh, what they serving in the water across in Hawthorn?)

Read again: "are strongly favored to win"

they were favored. not STRONGLY favored.

Read again: "where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event."

They didn't have a LARGE lead at the end of the game, they had a SMALL lead.
They did have a LARGE lead, but at the EARLY stages, not the LATE stages. That lead was essentially gone 15 minutes into the first quarter.

I'm just going to stop replying to people who need reading glasses or brain transplants. I don't even like Collingwood, but I'm finding myself defending them from people who can't grasp a simple definition.

I thought the game was over after their 5 goal lead, very good effort to come back from that , nothing but respect for WCE for coming back from 5 goals down, and a GF game too, what more can you ask for in your clubs efforts to come from so far behind to win the GF
Doesnt matter what team i go for, we didnt make it to GF, so we cant argue about how good your team played in the GF
Not gonna sook about WCE being better then Hawks or any other team really. Premership Cup says WCE, thats all that matters right?

Last edited:
Willlie started playing this year only, so techicanlly this is his first year playing for WCE. even if he is 23 years of age or watever, maybe i can change the rephasing like eg. i say the Riolis won the premiership in first year playing for the main senior level footy, doesnt matter if he was drafted in 2017, he never played last year or ever...
has maurice roili ever won a premieship btw? seems like the Rioi and Long family are very lucky to have won premerships for their team.
That's why I said technically. Think best way to word it is "Rioli's played in a flag in the year they debuted (AFL) in"

For anyone who's interested, here is some non-broadcast footage of Dom Sheed's premiership-winning goal.

This one’s my favourite, captured from almost the same spot as Channel 7’s camera but it shows the bays of Eagles supporters jumping up and if you turn it up you can really hear the roar (unlike in Channel 7’s ridiculously quiet coverage):

This one was filmed from the other side of the MCG:

This one shows the last 5 minutes, filmed from a pro-Collingwood bay on centre wing. Features Pies supporters’ disbelief:

This one was filmed by some kid sitting on the top deck with Dom Sheed kicking towards him:

I thought the umpires were generally invisible and to me that says they did a good job.I thought Howes holding the ball was 50-50.I initally trhought Rioli may have shepherded maybe 60-40 but looking afterwards the umps had a different view.Depends to where the players were looking.If Rioli was looking at Maynard and Maynard was looking at Rioli Sheed doesnt come into the equation.Interstate teams often get or seem to get screwed in Melbourne and probably vise-versa but i thought it was very well umpired and i think they did a very even handed job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He says it was in the context of umpires putting the whistle away

While I am not wanting to get into a negative discussion with a fellow WCE fan - I think that when he says, "... the umpires put the whistle away" that that sentence is his acknowledgement that there were other frees missed as well. Otherwise he might say, "... the umpires put the whistle away" for that one decision (or non decision) only!

Anyway - enough of that. Did you manage to get to the game?

It was awesome - simply awesome.

I have spoken to members who attended the one point win in 2006 and I remember thinking, "... how &^%$en lucky are they?" I will never get to a GF that close and tense.

Well ... I was dead set wrong about that ... I do not think that I will ever attend a more exciting game than the GF of last week. Awesome!:D

My partner and sons were with me when we got whacked in 2015 and they were very sad for most of that day. Not awesome!:'(

A very different story this year though - never seen them so excited when that final siren went. Awesome!:D

Game is over umpired, people sook
Umpires put the whistle away, people sook

Pies did well to stay in the game after giving up the lead in the 3rd quarter, especially after a hectic finals campaign

I have never seen a 4 contested mark/play to kick the winning goal, and what a time to have it done

So many ifs and buts, end of the day it was a ripper of a GF and accolades to both sides, they both could have been premiers and both deservant.

Unfortunately there can only be one winner on the day...

You got to read to post, I even bolded it for you and you still missed it ---->"they are strongly favored to win"

Pies weren't strongly favored to win. Most people were predicting a very close GF i.e Mclure had Pies by 1 point. King had Eagles by 1 point.
Well obviously the favouritism to which I refer was conferred post-hoc! The Tigers, Dogs, and 2014 Hawks at least, were outsiders going into their respective GFs.

Once they won, suddenly it was all easy, home advantage, gifted the cup etc.

Not sure then why the Pies wouldn't be subjected to similar analysis-after-the-fact, and be called chokers? And that's not even to mention the 5 goal lead.

I’ve re watched the last quarter in bits.....like from contests to contests ....pausing ...rewinding (I have Foxtel)

And I can honestly say it was well umpired .....there was one push in the back to one of our guys in their forward line (cole?) where he was just shoved ....he did not even have the ball ....

Nothing was said ...

And one ruck infringement where I really though vardy did push Grundy ....in fact I think vardy anf Lycetts body work on grundy was super.....they moved his centr of gravity so grundy couldn’t do what he wanted to do ......I think Nic Nat would have instructed that in his coaching

Back to the umpiring ....it was bloody good umpiring ...

Game is over umpired, people sook
Umpires put the whistle away, people sook

Pies did well to stay in the game after giving up the lead in the 3rd quarter, especially after a hectic finals campaign

I have never seen a 4 contested mark/play to kick the winning goal, and what a time to have it done

So many ifs and buts, end of the day it was a ripper of a GF and accolades to both sides, they both could have been premiers and both deservant.

Unfortunately there can only be one winner on the day...

Good summary

We had numerous chances though to finish it earlier in the last qtr...Ryan, mastern Kennedy ....with three shots directly in front and missed ...might have been another also ....all easy shots

Cox shot was not easy for him...he can only kick 40 meters at best .....wce dominated feild position in the second half and should have won more easily .....it’s a credit to Pies they actually defended as well as they did in the second half and you could say same about us in first half

For anyone who's interested, here is some non-broadcast footage of Dom Sheed's premiership-winning goal.

This one’s my favourite, captured from almost the same spot as Channel 7’s camera but it shows the bays of Eagles supporters jumping up and if you turn it up you can really hear the roar (unlike in Channel 7’s ridiculously quiet coverage):

This one was filmed from the other side of the MCG:

This one shows the last 5 minutes, filmed from a pro-Collingwood bay on centre wing. Features Pies supporters’ disbelief:

This one was filmed by some kid sitting on the top deck with Dom Sheed kicking towards him:

The last video with the kid .....made me quiet emotional watching that

He kept saying “we won the grand final - we won the grand final” that kid will never forget it.

It’s the exact same thing I said in my lounge room .....we won the grand final we won the grand final .....

That video should be shown to all new players at west coast ...this is what you mean to us.....

Not sour grapes but gee whiz Maynard was stiff as. If thats not a block then i have no idea what could ever be considered a block.
If that wasnt a holding the ball against howe in the goal square i dont know what is . Umps clearly put the whistle away

Across 4 quarters, I thought Adams was the best midfielder on the ground behind Shuey too. Was pretty much the only on-baller in the B&W that could hold his head up high in the end.
Adams was lucky the runner got in the way ! Yeo was always getting that ball runmer or not . He can now blame the runner instead of a balls up

Back