Autopsy AFL 2018 - Grand Final - West Coast v Collingwood

Is Rod ...

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, this is nowhere near as clear cut as some would like to believe. So Mathews said it was a block? Malthouse said it wasn't. Razor Ray would have paid it? Matt James said he wouldn't. Robbo reckons it's a block? Ralph says not. It was a 50/50 call that would have been equally controversial if called.

Has John Ralph ever umpired
Has robbo ever umpired

Have either of them done their level one umpiring course at all ....

Their opinions are the same as any mug on their street

Has John Ralph ever umpired
Has robbo ever umpired

Have either of them done their level one umpiring course at all ....

Their opinions are the same as any mug on their street
The point was simply that for every coach, umpire or journo that says it was a block, there's a coach, player and journo that says it wasn't.

And look, I don't actually have much respect for Robbo or Ralph, but just as film critics can have an opinion that is more informed than the 'mug on the street', a good football journalist that studies the game can be more informed than the same mugs.

Yawn. I had no expectations for my club this year, its just a pointless excersise trying to goad Carlton supporters about their club this year.

Now back on topic, how hilarious it was that Collingwood lost the Premiership by under a goal. And cannot deal with any ribbing about it :)

Any ribbing? Get a grip. The trolls think they're real funny. One or twice is fine & some fun, but some people have done nothing but try & dish up shyte & dribble non stop, but can't take it in return. They've got nothing really. The types who'll kick their dog & hibernate from reality when their team gets beaten.

The point was simply that for every coach, umpire or journo that says it was a block, there's a coach, player and journo that says it wasn't.

And look, I don't actually have much respect for Robbo or Ralph, but just as film critics can have an opinion that is more informed than the 'mug on the street', a good football journalist that studies the game can be more informed than the same mugs.

I suppose the media has to sensationalise footy news

Breaking story, tragedy ....and other terms used to heighten our senses around footy news

the Victorian media does not put the time or effort into their research very well.

The pre season predictions highlighted this ....we won a tonal last year ...our spin reads from backs ..Barrass, Gov, Yeo, darling Kennedy .....is there a better spine in the league right now?

Watching robbo on 360 ...he rambles on and somewherehe gurns ot into a question ...

The final straw for me ....was when robbo was interviewing Elliot Yeo during grand final week...”so Elliot do you have a nickname”.......this is an all Australian who had 34 touches the game before .....and that’s the best question can you come up with ....it was like he could not be bothered.

He was also genuinely disappointed at the start of the last episode when Gerhard said it was a sensational grand final ....he said it was an intense grand final ...but he simply could not say west coast were brilliant in their victory

His bias was so evident and his tweet “robbed” after the premiership was the most frankly disgusting towards our football club.

If anyone is interested, Eagles Backchat did their post grand final edition

https://wce.podbean.com/

Will Schofield goes through the lead up to the game, the parade, the day etc

Also tells why it was McGovern on his man DeGoey at the end and not him...

I suppose the media has to sensationalise footy news

Breaking story, tragedy ....and other terms used to heighten our senses around footy news

the Victorian media does not put the time or effort into their research very well.

The pre season predictions highlighted this ....we won a tonal last year ...our spin reads from backs ..Barrass, Gov, Yeo, darling Kennedy .....is there a better spine in the league right now?

Watching robbo on 360 ...he rambles on and somewherehe gurns ot into a question ...

The final straw for me ....was when robbo was interviewing Elliot Yeo during grand final week...”so Elliot do you have a nickname”.......this is an all Australian who had 34 touches the game before .....and that’s the best question can you come up with ....it was like he could not be bothered.

He was also genuinely disappointed at the start of the last episode when Gerhard said it was a sensational grand final ....he said it was an intense grand final ...but he simply could not say west coast were brilliant in their victory

His bias was so evident and his tweet “robbed” after the premiership was the most frankly disgusting towards our football club.
True. He hates the Pies too as evidenced by his drugs ‘leak’/fabrication/invention a week prior to our 2017 campaign. Just a horrible, dunder-headed, meritless human who doesn’t deserve an opinion on anything.

Probably takes glee in trying to take the shine off an Eagles flag, and just as much in trying to rub salt into the wounds of Pies fans by claiming we should have won but didn’t.
Doesn’t wash with me, and same goes for the dimwits on here gleefully trying to tel us we choked.

Was a truly great game and we gave our all. Umpires had Nothing to do with the result, Eagles very much deserved winners. Proud as sh*t of the boys for their amazing effort not just in that game but across the season.

True. He hates the Pies too as evidenced by his drugs ‘leak’/fabrication/invention a week prior to our 2017 campaign. Just a horrible, dunder-headed, meritless human who doesn’t deserve an opinion on anything.

Probably takes glee in trying to take the shine off an Eagles flag, and just as much in trying to rub salt into the wounds of Pies fans by claiming we should have won but didn’t.
Doesn’t wash with me, and same goes for the dimwits on here gleefully trying to tel us we choked.

Was a truly great game and we gave our all. Umpires had Nothing to do with the result, Eagles very much deserved winners. Proud as sh*t of the boys for their amazing effort not just in that game but across the season.
Great post

There were a lot of eagles there today - and they were LOUD! Closer to 40/40 with 20% neutral in my estimation.

Have been reading this thread for a while now trying to get through all of the posts.

1. I was there and it was a brilliant game of AFL

2. Collingwood were simply terrific

3. WCE just kept at it and prevailed just in time

4. The outcome was never assured until that siren blew in the last quarter

5. I have been for 40 years now a big Collingwood hater (only thing worse is a Dockers supporter).

6. I am now very respectful of the Collingwood FC. They managed their loss very well in my view. Buckley is all class.

7. I also loved the fact that absolutely none of the idiot experts tipped either the WCE or Collingwood to even make the 8. Both clubs stuck view that right up them.

8 So much good came out of that game - brilliant advertisement for the professionalism and spirit of both clubs. Brilliant advertisement for AFL contrasting two different playing styles.

9. By and large most of the Collingwood supporters on this board have shown humility in defeat - that takes some doing - so well done to all of you.

10. I have met so many people in the weeks since the GF that admitted to rarely watching the AFL and they did not support a team prior to the GF and they now have an interest just because of the fact that they watched game.

Well done to the WCE FC and the Collingwood FC - both clubs did far, far more for our game than their respective clubs on that glorious day of 29 September 2018.

Awesome game to be at - can't believe my luck to have had that experience.

Have been reading this thread for a while now trying to get through all of the posts.

5. I have been for 40 years now a big Collingwood hater (only thing worse is a Dockers supporter).

6. I am now very respectful of the Collingwood FC. They managed their loss very well in my view. Buckley is all class.

7. I also loved the fact that absolutely none of the idiot experts tipped either the WCE or Collingwood to even make the 8. Both clubs stuck view that right up them.

8 So much good came out of that game - brilliant advertisement for the professionalism and spirit of both clubs. Brilliant advertisement for AFL contrasting two different playing styles.

9. By and large most of the Collingwood supporters on this board have shown humility in defeat - that takes some doing - so well done to all of you.

10. I have met so many people in the weeks since the GF that admitted to rarely watching the AFL and they did not support a team prior to the GF and they now have an interest just because of the fact that they watched game.

Well done to the WCE FC and the Collingwood FC - both clubs did far, far more for our game than their respective clubs on that glorious day of 29 September 2018.

Great way to sum up the game and the thread. Good luck for the title defence in 2019!

Agree with all this. From the QF onwards I couldn't help but think how similar West Coast and Collingwood are in 2018- both are parochial, power clubs driven by huge supporter bases, professional off field departments and really tight, committed playing groups with some frightening individual talents. The seesawing finals they played against each other are a mark of how tough minded each group of players are, and of the willingness of both sides to play attractive attacking football rather than slow it down.

I can't wait for the grand final rematch early in 2019. There's something special about two great teams going at it balls to the wall.

The Eagles hit the front by 2 points 20 minutes into the third quarter.
The remaining 38 minutes of play that finished the game resulted in the Eagles outscoring the Pies by 3 points.
3 points in 38 minutes. That’s not a choke.

Dunno why people have to be jerks about this. It was an unbelievable battle, easy to say when you win... but it was. Collingwood were just 2 minutes off a flag. Thats it, end of story. We almost had to die to win it, the term "choke" is just assholes being assholes. Makes no sense, never will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno why people have to be jerks about this. It was an unbelievable battle, easy to say when you win... but it was. Collingwood were just 2 minutes off a flag. Thats it, end of story. We almost had to die to win it, the term "choke" is just assholes being assholes. Makes no sense, never will.
To be fair it's mainly the Richmond flogs who were out of control all year after their first taste of success in nearly 40 years and amazingly they continued to be flogs when they got taught a football lesson on Preliminary Final day when they thought back to back was merely a formality.

To be fair it's mainly the Richmond flogs who were out of control all year after their first taste of success in nearly 40 years and amazingly they continued to be flogs when they got taught a football lesson on Preliminary Final day when they thought back to back was merely a formality.

To be fair Richmond Fans didn't start a petition to get the result overturned after crying about the umps when they lost the Prelim

I just saw Hurn's half time interview. Is he trying to achieve haiku? Probably just me, but I found it highly amusing, on an otherwise painful day.

2 weeks on and people are still crying about that non paid free kick

Hypocrisy.

2006: sampi held clearly by both arms on his jumper. Leo Barry mark. Sydney win premiership. Eagles fans cry.
Eagles told to suck it up piss off and stop moaning. leo Barry you star!!!!

2018. Maynard blocked. Sheed goals. Eagles win. Collingwood fans cry and start a petition and media agrees calling for result to be overturned and Eagles are disgraceful cheats.

Like we pay the free kicks and had west West Australian umpires being biased.

Hypocrisy.

I was there too and everything you said is 100% correct. Both teams and supporters on the day at the ground all class. Well deserved premiers are the eagle fans and club. If only Hawks and Tigers fans take note, and learn both humility in victory and defeat.

I come to have a look at the autopsy thread and all I see is a bunch of Richmond supporters taking pot shots
Tiger fans on here- your team didn’t even ******* play you ******* morons
Your team had one of the biggest chokes of all time
So **** off into obscurity for another 30 odd years and stop detailing threads that others want to read about the great game that happened today

Yep ... I agree. I don't want to start any slanging match wth Richmond supporters - not my style - but Collingwood and the WCE both gave Richmond a bit of a spanking each this year. From memory;

Round 6 : Richmond 113 d Collingwood 70

Round 9 : WCE 130 d Richmond 83

Preliminary Final : Collingwood 97 d Richmond 58

Thing is ... the round 6 win is good but you have to turn it on when it counts - yes? Me ... I would much rather lose a round 6 match than a Preliminary Final.

I don't have an issue with any supporters from any club (well maybe Freo) there are good, bad and indifferent supporters in all clubs. However, I do think that some (not all) Richmond supporters are a little bit salty and still struggling to come to terms with their Preliminary Final loss. That's fair enough ... I suppose ... but Collingwood played very, very well in the GF and earned their spot in the GF by giving the reigning premiers a swift kick up the bum! I know ... I know ... it hurts ... but you'll get over it!

Let the Pies fans celebrate what was a very, very good season for them. Like the WCE many "experts" had written them off before the season had even started. Pfft ... frigging experts - most of them are a complete waste of space and oxygen.

Many people I know would be absolutely falling out of their chairs hearing me defend Collingwood (they really would) but some of their supporters on BF have shown some real class. And I previously thought Buckley was a real turd - not any more - he's a classy guy and an asset for the Pies brand.

Looks like I only have Freo left to despise!!

I also saw those Pies supporters giving Sheed the middle finger when he kicked that goal - I really don't mind that stuff - that's just a supporter showing their displeasure. He paid his hard earned so hop into it I reckon. So long as they don't abuse opposition supporters I am cool with that - shows some real passion!

Imagine footy without the raw passion of supporters ... it just doesn't bear thinking about. If, there's no passion or rampant enthusiasm for our teams, we may as well go and watch a chess match in the park.

Now I might just go and watch the replay again!:) The kids might whinge at me because I have watched it about 15 times since. Too bad for them though!;)

:westcoast:

Back